PLAYER RATINGS: Southampton 2:2 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Socrates, April 25, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Socrates

Socrates Member

Pochettino’s return to St. Marys was a tightly contested affair as we played out an entertaining 2-2 draw with the Saints.

Ratings

Lloris – 6 – Good to see the captain back. Can’t be faulted for the goals, did well otherwise.

Davies – 4 – Came in for the injured Rose and didn’t have the best of games it’s fair to say. Was suspect for both goals but he did show some incisive passes in the final third.

Vertonghen – 6 – A solid if not unspectacular performance.

Fazio – 6 – Much like Vertonghen there’s little to note either way.

Dier – 6 – Did well considering he played the game at right back and provided the assist for Chadli’s goal.

Mason – 6 – A hardworking performance from Mason. Kept things ticking in the middle of the park but didn’t contribute too much by way of an attacking threat.

Bentaleb – 6
    – Much like Mason, he worked hard and kept things ticking over without really excelling.

Lamela – 6 – Not sure he knew much about the goal but he played well otherwise.

Chadli – 7 – Our best offensive player today. Put in some good crosses and took his goal very well.

Eriksen – 5 – Struggling to think of anything significant he did during the game.

Kane – 5 – Wasn’t in the game at all today but then again he got little to no service from the midfield.

SUBS

Dembele – 6 – Seemed comfortable on the ball in the short spell he had on the pitch but we were really struggling to create chances at that point of the game.

Soldado – n/a – Wasn’t on the pitch long enough to justify a rating.

Chiriches – 6 – Came in for the injured Davies and handled things relatively well.

A decent performance against a Southampton side that don’t lose many games at home. This result doesn’t really change much but it’s good to see some fight from the players even with so little to play for.

2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Personally thought Dier had a fantastic game, my MOTM.
    On another note, just how sh!t was the pitch? I counted 20+ slips from players on either side, resulted in injuries to Davies and Schneiderlin.
    Also, would love a retrospective ban for Sadio Mane. Every time he got the ball he fell over, this was constantly throughout the game and the referee, who I thought was largely poor throughout, did nothing. He even tried to jump over Fazio and claim a penalty! So frustrating really, he ruined what I thought was a decent performance by Koeman's men.
    Solid, if not spectacular, was the best way to describe it as you rightly said. How often have we bemoaned the team for not getting this kind of result?

3. Sport Guest

Nacar, hes a classy player. This team is on the up, yes Southampton were the better team but we showed dog spirit. That guttys dog spirit will get us there. Knock Knocking on Eupora door.

Dog Dog Dog with Nacar…Yer

Nacar! Thats our Nacar!

4. Del Guest

I may get some stick off u lot here but I thought we were slightly better today but still way below par (pants) as I call it! Dodgy at the back our attacking play is to slow and predictable, ok chadli and lamela scored but again our wing at is non existent everything is cutting inside! none are blessed with real pace and guile and show determination to go at players down the outside and really give the full backs ago, and as for eriksen and Kane they both look shattered and seem to have no real support (options)when we break on the counter . So to me the players seem like there's nothing to play for and can't wait for their holidays !!! Season over same old Spurs!!!

5. big fran Guest

Speedy recovery to Ben Davies but my he was god awful today. First goal shocking and second was even poorer I felt. Poor defensive header then didn't get nowhere near enuf to stop the cross coming in! Fazios marking again non existent.
    I was really disappointed in the negative approach from MP which was underlined when he made Townsend and soldado sit down once the ineffectual chadli equalized. Never once did he try to win the game and the introduction of soldado was merely a token gesture. Awful performance from the team and the coach. Bring on the cricket season!

notnats and Mattj78 like this.
  6. Tony Guest

Our defense is a joke, the only one that's any good is Vertonghen, our fullbacks are a joke, we haven't got one decent one between them, as for Fazio for someone so big he gets beat very easily in the air.

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I just cant get my head around this same formation same tactic for every match.
    Its hardly a sign of a good Coach/Manager (whatever Poch is.)
    Once again we painfully lacked width, whether Poch believes in wing play or not 2 of the 4 goals were from crosses today it works.
    Its a basic of football to stretch an opposing defence get the ball out wide at pace then get the ball in the danger area. Its the same regurgitated sh;t every game 1 dimensional is putting it mildly.
    Davies was shocking did we really send Siggs away for this kid? The first goal was typical of this ever changing shambles we call a defence, for a professional football team we have an embarrassing defence full of clowns and clearly a coaching team unable to organise them and a scouting network unable to spot proper defenders theyve been shocking for 2 seasons and all brought in have not improved it one bit.

Dace and Jacob like this.
  8. Andy Guest

I'm surprised at these ratings. For example, Mason was dreadful and looks all in. We play too many pointless passes in defence and midfield (resulting in Soton's 1st goal) and our passing quality is awful. So many times the ball was passed behind the intended receiver. It stops all momentum and makes us look slow and pondering. IMO only Dier and Chadli looked to pass aggressively. The intensity which Poch is supposedly renowned for just isn't there. I know that these are not his players so maybe we will see more next year but truth be known we are miles behind the top 4, with just a couple of good performances/results to remember this season by.

9. Del Guest

Well said mate agree 100% I've been thinking the same every game it never changes???

Dace and Jacob like this.
  10. Sport Guest

Fcuking el who remembers that mind week cup game what 7 /10 years back down there when we we 3 nil down before half time and 300 plus yids tried to get on the pitch to get the game abandoned. Fcuking night they smashed us that night.

11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I did not expect a win at St.Mary, 4 points out of 6 is not terrible against well rounded side.
    Verts was excellent at left fullback. Strong performance in short duration. He should start next game there, unless Rose is fit. Dier was much better than Walker and seems to be in better shape physically compare to season start. Eric is coming back fast enough and could play this position. Both Dier and Verthongen deserve 7.

Last edited: April 26, 2015

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button