PLAYER RATINGS: Leverkusen 0-0 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, October 18, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

After Spurs were stopped by a keeper at West Brom, it was our turn tonight to be grateful for some superb keeping tonight. Lloris pulled off at least 4 superb saves and one that was sensational.
    A game that Pochettino described as a must win, ended in Spurs coming away thankful for a point.

Here are my player ratings. These are only my opinions , so please give your ratings too.

Lloris - 9 : I nearly put 10. When your keeper is man of the match, you know you have to be very thankful not to lose. 3 saves down to his right and the save from Hernandez was sensational. Yes, Hernandez should have scored but you simply cannot take away that save from Hugo. He earned us a point tonight.

Trippier- 7: Delivered a lovely cross on 28 minutes and Dele should have scored. Otherwise he played well and is a good understudy for Walker.

Dier- 6 :I love Dier but I simply cannot understand why Wimmer did not play after his superb performces last season. He put Lloris under pressure with a poor pass and looks very low on confidence. I would be worried of he is going to stand in for Alderweireld. Wimmer needs to be playing. I have no idea what is going on with Wimmer. Can anyone advise on where he is?

Vertonghen- 8: I felt Jan was controlled and played very well tonight. Near the end he put his foot in with the calm we know he can play with. Let's see more of it Jan.

Rose- 6: looked rusty tonight and was lucky not to concede a penalty. His arm did not need to be out there and if that had been at the other end , I would have been screaming for a penalty. I was also disappointed how easily he went down in the area when if he had stayed on his feet he could have created something.

Wanyama-7: I really am not sure whether he deserves a 7 or a 6. He covered at the back well but his passing was at times poor. He was also lucky not to receive further action for some reckless challenges.

Eriksen-6: A word that's is often associated with Eriksen. Frustrating. He worked hard and ran with the ball but he kept running into defenders. When he did get forward in the second half I thought he had been taking advice from Andros Townsend. So much talent. He needs to be more consistent.

Lamela-5: How was he still on the pitch after 71 minutes? I like him and think he works hard for the team but tonight I thought he was very off form. He offered little and was disappointing.

Son-7: Worked tirelessly and is going to be a big player for Spurs. I don't think he is the same player when Lamela is on the pitch. Poch may need to rotate the pair but currently Son should be one of the first names of the team sheet. (Replaced by Onomah on 90 minutes)

Dele-6: Not his best game and he should have scored from Trippier's superb cross. He ran onto the ball well but it was an opportunity that should have ended in the net not in the advertising. Still learning and maturing. Went missing in the second half.

Janssen-6: His hold up play is good. Which is what has been written ever since he signed for Spurs. And it's true. But he has been signed to score goals and he is in danger of becoming another Soldado. He was ruled offside when he hit the net and hit the bar when he really should have scored. Son, Kane when he is back are well ahead of Janssen and he is running out of time already. I hope he scores soon because if not he will be warming te bench for a very long time. (Dembele 65 minutes - didn't do enough to be rated)

A point is not the worst result and to be honest we are lucky to be going back home with that point. Lloris was superb and for 20 minutes in the first half we did look very good. But in the second half we were off the pace. That said, we are showing that we will not be bullied in the Champions league.
    We are still in a good position but we cannot play like we did tonight at Wembley. If we do, we will need Lloris to be on top form again.

burnt likes this.
  2. burnt Well-Known Member

Think your been very kind Matt , that was brutal performance bar 20 mins before half time ... Second half , well to be honest I'm still in shock at what I witnessed .... Where do you start analysing that , Lamela - 5 , for what , Eriksen - 6 , again for what and Son - 7 , well maybe he deserves 7 for all the hugging in the tunnel beforehand because apart from that I just don't see it .... Maybe I'm going over the top , ( I will watch again later when the blood pressure settles ) but I taught it was shambolic .... Did they just morph into Barcelona at half time or what the hell happened .... Brilliant result in the end but in all fairness the 3 performances in Europe so far against nothing teams have been pretty grim watching ... That 2nd half showing tonight is a new low though ....

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. STEVENFROMITALY Member

Simply a Monument to Hugo! I have happy for the result but not satisfied how we plaied; i don' t understand why Wimmer does not play....i hope Janssen scores soon...( Soldado's phantom is hanging in the Air!!!!). I hope Poch will analize well this match.. As ever COYS.

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Brian1042 Guest

How often must we continue to hear 'I like Lamela, but?' Enough.
    When will NKoudo play?

Jonesy, Felon82, burnt and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lbanum Guest

Poor ratings in my opinion. I felt Lamela was the best of a three of Son and Eriksen. He at least was effective in his contributions and would have been closer to a 7 than a six. That said, most players were average and few above. Janssen played well in the first half but the team was wrong. I felt Pochettino would rightly have had confidence that Tottenham could have pushed on and won the game. Instead, the team fell back to becoming second best across the pitch. Vertonghen was strong and reliable but many fell by the wayside. Lloris would deserve a 7 and an 8 at a push but the team cannot afford some players being so weak. Lamela was good for most of his game but Eriksen was awful. That's a major problem for the team. We see things very differently.

6. Spud Guest

wimmer is left footed and to play him on the right side of defense would make him a target for every team running with the ball at us.

burnt likes this.
  7. burnt Well-Known Member

It's amazing at times how differently we all see some games and performance's but c.mon , Lamela close to 7 .... Look I struggle to see all the Lamela hype , I've said it many times but even his parents wouldn't give him a 7 for that performance unless of course they were rating it out of 100 .... Lol , in all honesty I thought a 5 was overdoing it but maybe I'm just blinkered ......

Jonesy, Deggsy56 and Felon82 like this.
  8. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I think I have been kind but if this is as low as it gets maybe it shows how high our expectations have become.

burnt likes this.
  9. burnt Well-Known Member

Fair point , no doubt expectations have changed big time this year , we've mentioned that before and it's the same for the team ... Hopefully after the next game or two we,ll just be writing this off as a bad day at the office .. It was a bad one though ....

10. Eddy Guest

Lloris 8, Trippier 6, Dier 5, Vertonghen 7, Rose 6, Wanyama 6, Lamela 5, Alli 5, Eriksen 5, Son 6, Janssen 6, Dembele 5, Sissoko 5, Pochettino 5.

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

After a great performance v city we seem to have got back into the groove of ponderous football.
    Alli and Son look like the only 2 on the pitch that want to actually score.
    Often we see this when plan a doesnt work and its then when im looking for leaders or Poch to alter whats going on with a different approach but theres nothing, we cudv carried on playing til christmas we werent ever going to score.
    Flat as needs improvement/inspiration/leaders

Last edited: October 19, 2016
    Mattj78 and burnt like this.
  12. keith stael New Member

To be really successful all teams need a bit of magic and I think that MP thinks Lamela is that. He isn't. The irony is of course that in the 70s and 80s, when I started watching Spurs, we were nothing BUT magic and didn't have the other necessary elements. There's a better chance of success now albeit without so much thrilling football or magic moments although, to be fair, its not long since Bale left and there's been no more exciting player in a Spurs shirt than him. I never thought a Spurs player would eclipse Glenda in my esteem but Bale did.

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  13. Mick

Mick Member

True we were not at our best but 4 points from 2 away games and no goals conceded is a good recovery after 1st match. It shows how much the team has progressed that we are disappointed with this. Hopefully we can play better in our next 2 matches and have qualifiction wrapped up before last match.It is a sign of a good side not to lose when not at your best.

Mattj78 likes this.
  14. Dace Member

I am actually quite pleased with the performance..
    This is the CL and no teams will be a push over..
    Not having Alder...err Toby is a massive loss, hopefully not for too long.
    As our keeper made some excellent saves in the second half, we all put them under pressure in the first.
    Ifs buts and maybes...had we taken one or two of our chances we may have won comfortably.
    Janssen reminds me of Mark Hughes from years back another not prolific scorer ..
    Having said that, I prefer a Janssen/Son partnership, wee need that speed that Son has..
    Lamela..runs all day but cannot or will not shoot !
    The only player I was a little disappointed with was Sissoko when he came on, giving him the benefit of the doubt as he is a new signing, but have not seen much from a supposed £30 mil man ..

Mattj78 likes this.
  15. johnnyhrvat Guest

Agree with most of what you wrote Matt, and am glad you are starting to see the light on Lamela - it might be okay if he was just invisible, but he contrives to give the ball away so many times just by trying to be clever.
    When we started getting battered, the ideal switch would have been Wimmer on for Lamela with Dier pushing forward to support Wanyama, but where is Wimmer - Poch is great, but his stubbornness against some players and favouritism for others is not good.
    Janssen will not be another Soldado - I'm impressed with his general play and an avalanche of goals will follow his first proper strike. He definitely has more right to be on the pitch than Lamela.

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. guesty Guest

I've said it before.....Janssen is a good player. he holds the ball up well and brings others into the game. BUT we simply don't play the system that will enable him to score goals. (it was the same for Soldado). The defenders are generally facing up the pitch when Janssen gets it. they are never facing their own goal with him running onto a cross. It is not that we think he will be as bad as Soldado....just that our game is as bad for him as it was for Soldado
    We need to get players up and ahead of him to score goals....but the 3 behind are always trying to be the one making the pass rather than the player getting furthest forward....which leaves or CF pretty much always alone against both CB's. too predictable. we need to inject some pace.

NB .....Bale better than Glenn! not sure about that. Bale is a great player...but a selfish player. Glenn made us a really good team and was an incredibly gifted player...probably still is!

Mattj78, Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.
  17. Acron_Spur Guest

Rose deserved a 7 in my opinion. Eriksen, Lamela and to a lesser extent Dele were all poor. Dembele looked excellent when he came on.

Mattj78 likes this.
  18. Big fran Guest

Thought the tactics especially for an away game were a joke. Wanyana who I thought was easily our best player bar lloris exposed on his own in centre mid with alli and eriksen pretty much playing as no 10s and the Leverkusen switch at half time overun us in cm.
    Also again taking Janssen off meant the ball stop sticking up top and I do not see the soldado connection at all. This guy is strong as an Ox , runs channels links play and makes the ball stick. Soldado offered nothing like that. Son was piss poor again after his recent hype as was alli..

Jonesy, Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  19. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree about Wanyama. One holding midfield player was so wrong.

Jonesy likes this.
  20. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

I know I'm not the best at seeing the good things, rather than the bad, but for me we were shite!

Dier, Eriksen, Lamela were poor, Alli and Son not far behind. If you play away in the CL and have 5 sub standard performances then you will struggle, and we did.

For me it should have been Dembele alongside Wanyama, no Lamela. Getting the early booking was so poor. What was Eriksen doing. He played 80% of his passes backwards ffs.

Lloris was our MOTM, despite his recurring poor distribution. When will he ever learn.

I thought the full backs and Verts were solid, Dier not so. I don't care that Wimmer is left footed, he's a better centre back than Dier on his current form.

This was an all around painful watch for me and one that shows that, through team selection and poor form, we are going nowhere in this tournament unless we get our backsides in gear. Not good.

COYS

burnt likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button