PLAYER RATINGS: Everton 0:1 Tottenham Hotspur

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, May 24, 2015.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Spurs ended their Premier League campaign in style as Harry Kane’s header sealed a 5th place finish in Mauricio Pochettino’s inaugural season at the helm.

Eric Dier’s irresistible cross found the head of our 31-goal striker deep into the first half after Spurs had probed the Toffees’ box for most of the game.

And despite sights of goal for Brendan Galloway and Kevin Mirallas for the hosts, Pochettino’s men held on to a comfortable finish to the 2014/15 season.

Stoke’s 6-1 thrashing of Liverpool meant that we only needed 3 points to seal 5th place, and means that we avoid any Europa League qualifying games.

Player Ratings

Hugo Lloris 7 – brilliant to grab a second clean sheet in a row having failed to keep one in our last 5 games prior to the Hull victory. Some solid punches and composed distribution, too. Hopefully not his last game for Tottenham!

Eric Dier 7 – This guy’s crossing ability is ridiculous, and his ball for Harry’s goal is a contender for cross of the season no doubt. Solid defensively, too, coping with the livewire Galloway.

Jan Vertonghen 8 – My man of the match for a wonderfully mature performance. Played the ball out wonderfully and read every move Everton threw at him. One of the best in Europe on his day.

Federico Fazio 6 – A quiet game for Fazio, which is probably best. Nothing spectacular of note, but he contributed to the clean sheet nevertheless.

Nabil Bentaleb 8 – Close call for MOTM, as Nabil performed so well in a position that is unnatural to him. Found space on the left wing in almost every attack, just showing that his technical ability shows no bounds.

Ryan Mason 7 – Had an electric first half and probably should have won a penalty after Eriksen played him through. Surely clocked up the highest distance of any player out there today.

Mousa Dembele 6 – Substituted fairly early on in the second half due to an injury, but our sustained possession in the first half is surely no coincidence to Dembele’s inclusion.

Erik Lamela 6 – Lively playing in a more central role and looking much more like the man we signed two seasons ago. Came close with an effort in the first half but couldn’t get a clean shot on target.

Christian Eriksen 6 – Flitted in and out of the game as he has done so often recently, but the little things he does on the pitch remind you of why he’s such a class act. Although lacking in final product today, he is invaluable to the future Spurs.

Nacer Chadli 6 – A fairly uninspiring game from the Belgian who – similarly to Eriksen – only dipped in and out of the game. Had a brief spell up-front before being replaced.

Harry Kane 7 – Brought his fairy-tale season to a close with yet another goal in a solid performance from the English striker. Equalled Gareth Bale and Jurgen Klinsmann’s 21 goals in a Premier League season but just couldn’t find another goal to break the record. That’ll have to be next season…

SUBS

Benjamin Stambouli 6 – Did his job, and got booked. You couldn’t write it.

Andros Towsend N/a

Roberto Soldado N/a

As another season draws to a close, it’s easy to spot the things that went wrong and the ways it could have been improved. Our form towards the end of the season didn’t blow any socks off and our Europa League campaign was fairly woeful.

But 5th place is much better than many expected – the “best of the rest” as Ive heard it called. That alongside a refreshing trip to Wembley, wins against Arsenal and Chelsea at the Lane, a domination of the National team and the emergence of the country’s most exciting young prospects is not to be sniffed at.

But more importantly, I’ve enjoyed watching Tottenham Hotspur playing football again.

What more can we ask. CSWY!

Pickleman1967 likes this.
  2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I predicted 6th, we got 5th. A massive transfer window now awaits.

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Gotta say 5th is a respectable finish, more a leveller on how poor the league is than great football.
    Need a sensible window based around quality upgrade, trimming the sh;te, and thought in how players fit the style formation etc!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Hotchpoch Guest

Who'd of funk it. 5th and another clean sheet.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Sport Guest

I've come on this site in recent times an chatted some shite. But the reason is this YOU lot yes you regular posters and others are just painful to read at times.

We dominate every game we play bar Stoke away.

Yes one striker, Robby's the worst forward in the history of the football club and Ad's having a tough time, hence the 5 in midfield, dominating possession ect.

At the start of the season i said to myself.

Will we finish above Chelsea? No (8 years Champions League Football)
    Will we finish above Arsenal? No ground and CL
    Will we finish above Man City? Didn't they win the league last year? No.
    Will we finish above Man United? Your place or mine (no Canary Wharf ect, possibly Rooney K300 a week) No.

Will we finish above Liverpool? ( Who lost the league title on the last day of the season last year after being what 2/3 up at Palace? No

So i thought 6th would be the absolute best we would get this year. Useless players like Pauolino, Soldado even Lemla (£80 million pound of utter shite, sorry guys but your ****.)

People on here dissing MP and then dissing the Cup run, dissing the last 32 in the Eroupa and we gave that a good go. Utter disgrace.

This seasons 5th finish is absolutely great and well done to Management, Coaches, Players, Staff and Fans on in my eyes was a courageous dig deep season.

(Remember there is no Van Dert Vart, Modric, Bale ect...) And young KANE WITHOUT THE EUROPA NO DOBT WOULD BE PLAYING RESERVE TEAM FOOTBALL AT SPURS TODAY.

Great season for me. Can't wait for next season and bring on that European Tour!

COYS!

6. martin Guest

young gifted and SPURS! Just look at the bench plus Pritchard et al to come

real hope for the future, especially if we can keep the more eperienced players aka Hugo, Jan

COYS!

7. Gee Guest

My 2 teams for next season:

Vorm. Deyedlin,rose,moreno,wimmer(supposedly), bentaleb,alli/snederlin-eriksen,chadli,pritchard- kane

Team 2: new keeper,walker,fazio/dier,vertoghen,davies- pauliniho/mason, dembele/luangola- lamela(left)lennon(right,or konoplonka left, lamela right) new striker(hopefully benteke)!

Method for madness.... Raise EASY 100m!!!
    Ehhh i feel the reverbaration lol, look:

Lloris 40-45m if he wants to go, fair play c.l
    Kaboul 5m
    Chiriches 5m
    Maybe walker 12m
    Capoue 5-7m
    Holtby 5-7m
    Stambouli 5-7m
    Townsend 9m
    Lennon 7m
    Soldado 13m
    If can replace with better and get over 20m then sell lamela too!!!
    Add up lowest prices of all players to be gone next season... What do you get?

Well over one hundred million thats what!!!

I know transfers r far from plain sailing but those players do not enhance our squad, if we had a decent striker bar kane he wouldnt have burnt out so quick, same for mason bentaleb etc!!!

8. Gee Guest

add fazio, chadli and pauliniho in there too p12million c12million, f9million still roughly thirty million there abouts, then we would need goalkeeper, striker and wingers plus midfielder and just got a brand spanking defender too so a brand new spine of team basically. Goal keeper, wimmer, moreno, konoplonka, balassie, snederlin, benteke/austin/????
    Now i think that would be a proper magnificent 7 right there!
    Daniel , paul, joe, or mauriccio.. We all know these types of players have been long identified so go get them as early as possible so we can all rest assured we will start that new season in the best shape we mean to continue
    5th was great considering its our transitional year, inherited players, bar defense, and low revenues, fair play cant grumble

COYS

9. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Very accurate ratings, James. I would only give Dembele 8, not 6. He was excellent, absolute dominance at #10.
    Overall, Spurs showed in first period how they may play within MP's method. Not a single cross was attempted, only lobs, and one of those lobs resulted in Kane's now routinely spectacular header. Spurs dominated opposition in all aspects for long periods in first half and should score more then. The second half was an exercise on killing the game, which went well, although Martinez made some adjustments that made Toffies more competitive. Anyway, if such way of performing will be strengthen by acquisition of some finishers during the summer, the next season will be promising.
    Defense remains problematic, as there is not so much coaching that can help in this part of the game. not only Vert must be kept, but he needs a partner. We will see if this can be resolved. COYS!

10. Pickleman1967

Pickleman1967 Member

Fair ratings, I was particularly pleased with Bentaleb in a full back role, he looked very comfortable there. There is a lot of dead wood to clear out for next season, but we've poached Southampton's talent scout, so there is potential to add to this squad to do something next season.

My main concern still lies with the back four, gawd bless Fazio, decent squad player but nowhere near a top CB. The likes of Chiriches has to go, and even Verts (our best defender) is not top class. The goals conceded tells a story, you don't need to spend weeks analysing our play to realise we have a problem at the back. Investment required.

We also need to offload Soldado and Ade, neither of them are good enough, and we need someone to share the burden with Kane. He won't find it easy next season, and if he were to get injured what do we have in reserve? Plenty of decent strikers out there like Berahino, who would not break the bank, but would score goals.

Whatever, I've said it before, I trust the Poch man going forward. A few quality acquisitions and I'm going to allow myself to feel excited about next season. Up the Spurs!

Spurporter likes this.
  11. big fran Guest

Think had dembele been played much more this season 4th would have been attainable. Not sure whether there is a clash of personality with him and MP or he feels he doesn't fit the system(whatever that may be I'm still not sure)! Also would like to have seen dier partnered with Jan more but over the season there does seem to have become a more notable spine and a preferred 11 although I don't agree with one or two selections we have become more consistent and fifth place is respectable considering the budget of the top four. Its a massive transfer window for MP and he has to have full control and more important get it right. Can't be hearing it's not my team yet in 12 months time can we?
    Very interesting to see where wimmer fits in being a left sided defender and what happens with Jan. I'd still expect another centre half in a central mid winger and a forward.

12. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

You started with " Ive come on this site in recent times and chatted some shite" and them you've proved it with
    " we dominate every game we play bar Stoke away"

Felon82 likes this.
  13. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Well played especially in the first half it looked more like a 3-5-1-1 at the start but a few tweaks gave the team a different dynamic, the movement and the interplay was excellent at times and what about that ball from young Eric. Im starting to like him at RB. Bentaleb too was very good on the left and with Dembele and Mason working the middle we completely bossed them. Good team effort and a good way to finish off the season although, I still get worried when I see Fazio all on his lonesome at the back. Anyway, 5th is slightly better than most of us expected ( thanks to Pool )
    and lets hope for more improvement and some fresh ideas for next season. COYS...

14. naresh Guest

I am not fond of too much chopping and changing, it can hurt team chemistry in a great way...Real Madrid or Chelsea can afford it because they are like real life FIFA career mode team...you buy individual world class players who can mostly play well irrespective of who is playing beside them...

I would move out:

Kaboul
    Chiriches
    Paulinho
    Adebayor
    Capoe
    Lenon may be
    Total: 30 million pound

will move in for 25 million pound:

1) Wimmer - Chiriches replacement
    2) Ings – Kane deputy
    3) Tripper – Competition to Walker
    4) Ayew (free agent)– Speedy dribbler as well as knows where goal is
    5) Milner (free agent) – Industrious and some experience in midfield (CM & RM cover)
    6) Boetius/Bakkali in Eden hazard mold- for future development

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button