Phew!! Spurs V Wycombe Player Ratings

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 28, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Spurs certainly don't give in under Poch. But that was nearly a complete embarrassment. First things first. Let me not ignore, as many will, the fabulous performance of Wycombe today. They threw caution to the wind and came to try and win. Something their performance probably deserved.

But, quite simply, Spurs second string were bloody awful for the most part of this FA cup tie. At 2-0 down, Spurs looked beaten and were devoid of ideas.
    Whilst it is true that when players aren't playing regularly it takes time to "gel" , it is also true that if you get your chance to impress , you have to take it and show a positive attitude. So many who started today were not only poor, but looked disinterested and that's not acceptable. I wouldn't like to be them when Poch gets them to one side. Because for all he comes across at times as placid, I don't think he will have been today. He looked incandescent at times. Rightly so. I saw the line up and wasn't overly worried but I should have been.

Thankfully, we rallied with Alli and Dembele on the pitch and we go into the next round. But we were lucky. Be prepared for my player ratings. Even for me they are brutal!

Vorm- 7 Didn't look like he trusted the 4 ahead of him at all. Wasn't commanding in the box but was solid at times.

Trippier- 6 Neither brilliant nor poor.

Carter- Vickers - 6 A player many tip for a great future but on today's performance I'm far from convinced. Looked nervous and must do better when he gets the chance.

Wimmer - 5 When he came in and did well last year, I was very impressed but being dropped like a stone looks to have destroyed his confidence.

Davies - 6 Did okay but not exactly a performance to get noticed.

Winks - 6 Has been good this season but should have been a player leading by example today. Looked confused and naive without the better players around him.

Dier -7 cut a very frustrated captain but kept geeing the players up.

Sissoko - 3 30 million pounds. For a shopping trolley. Truly dreadful performance and he didn't even seem bothered. Let's hope we can get some of that money back.

Onomah - 1 And that's kind! I do not think I've seen such a poor player for a few years. Even Jason Dozzell was better. Totally inept. Seriously would look out of place in a pub team. Sadly lacks any attribute to make it at this level. How he stayed on the pitch for an hour is a mystery. Absolutely shocking.

Son - 7 Got 2 goals. Wasn't brilliant but did his job and took us through.

N'Koudou - 3 Couldn't cross the ball. Has got pace but did little to impress anyone today. Was looking forward to seeing what he could do but it turned our he can do very little. Wasted his opportunity.

Janssen - 7 Caused a few problems for the Wycombe defence and did another Soldado! From the penalty spot he's lethal.

Dembele - 7 Added extra strength and pushed Spurs forward.

Alli - 8 Showed his class. Some players today weren't fit to lace his boots.

Pochettino - 6 Got out of jail. We move on.

Players get their chance in cup games. Not one took their chance today. We hung on, clung on and won.

Next!

2. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Felt really sorry for Wycombe today They Did Not deserve to lose from an unlucky deflection/own goal. We played much like Liverpool except we woke up late on !!

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. barney Guest

If spurs do not bother with the f.A cup why should we bother going this would never happen under nicholson very poor show from the shadow squad got out of jail again

Felon82 likes this.
  4. Jacko P Guest

Really exposed the myth of our squad strength - and Poch thinks we don't need to strengthen the squad? I can't believe he thinks that - maybe he says it just to placate the scrooge upstairs.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Poor really poor, but we sneaked through and glad there's no replay.

Sissoko probably cost more than the whole of Wycombe yet would struggle to get in their team.
    CCV looks like a poor Caulker.
    I too was expecting to see better from N'kodou and Winks both struggled.

6. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

It is simply not a myth Jacko, we have not got any quality in depth, at all.

7. Bazza47

The highlight of today was that all the kids who were able to see their heroes would have stayed to the end and had the time of their life. Priceless.

For those "older" folk like, me who watched us struggle all afternoon, I decided to depart on 83....okay so I missed the dramatic close, but this was poor.

Do we want this Poch. Two more wins and we're at our second home for the semis. You know what, it would be nice to win something, and this is our best chance. If we don't want it, then don't risk any first teamers.

Disappointing.

8. burnt Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet , but all reports are it wasn't pretty ... I think if we remember back to the Liverpool game in the other cup , we were very unimpressive there aswell , part of the problem is when we make so many changes at once .. It's understandable to a degree , we see it with other teams as well when they make 10 or 11 changes , especially when half of them are so inexperienced .... It's a good workout for them and the squad members regardless of the result and sadly that's what the domestic cup competitions have become ... I'm afraid things have changed a lot since the Nicholson era so comparing eras is folly I.m.o ... The domestic cup competitions are just not a big deal for the teams at the top who are competing for the title , Europe , or the top 4 .... Teams in relegation trouble are starting to treat them the same way ... It's all about priorities unless you have a squad of 20 ish first teamers that are rotated all the time and in this scenario youth don't get much of a chance at all ... It's a bit sad really what has become of the cups but that's the reality in the modern era .... C.O.Y.S ......

9. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Look, we weren't good today but some fabulous f the comments on social media slagging off our manager are frankly stupid and ridiculous.
    He doesn't always get it right but ffs if you can't see how far we are finally progressing under Poch you must be blind.
    Get a grip.

Remy Uwilin and Bazza47 like this.
  10. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Spurs did look bad, but, in fact, they weren't. They were what our B squad are. Opposition played fantastic football, scored one special goal, one impressive header, one questionable penalty, but did not last to the very end.
    Poor showing of Dier exposed Spurs defense. Wimmer cannot distribute. That was not a problem when he played with Tobi last year, who did the job, but his duet with Carter showed absence of support for upward ball movement, which was one of the root causes for poor showing against Wanderers. Furthermore, Carter is no CB, as far as I can tell. Wimmer should have been sold by now, but obviously must stay put due to injuries to Spurs stoppers. Levy has to buy right CB to cover very shallow spot up there. The window is open still.
    Yes, it was a nailbiter no one expected, but good result at the end made up for it. COYS!!!

Last edited: January 29, 2017
    Bazza47 likes this.
  11. Spursforlife Guest

Matt I feel you are being kind to son. Yeah he was essentially involved in two of the goals but actually speaking he had made a mess of the chances he got.
    In the first half he got 2-3 clear cut chances but he missed.
    For the first goal son tried to cross i presume but it deflected off a defender and went in.
    For the last goal son got into a really good position but he didn't make a clear connection with the ball. Luckily, the defender was there at the right position to put the ball into his own net.
    Also, he extremely selfish whenever he has the ball.

Spurporter and Bazza47 like this.
  12. johnnyhrvat Guest

Putting eleven players on the pitch does not necessarily constitute a team, unless they have been playing as a unit regularly - it is possible to change four or five players and still have some cohesion but not nine or ten. I can however sympathise with Poch's selection which gives extra rest to first-XI players and much-needed playing time to their understudies. If we had won this game at a stroll it would not have helped anyone really - this is how the FA Cup used to be when fourth-tier sides could actually compete in a one-off game against the top sides.
    Thanks Wycombe for turning up and making a real game of it rather than just trying to stop us playing.

Remy Uwilin, Spurporter and Bazza47 like this.
  13. STEVENFROMITALY Member

A lot of Credit to our Opponents: they deserved almost the Replay. In my opinion mentally we did not play the game in the right way; we did not respect our opponenent and we were lucky to win this match. I hope we learn the lesson for the next matches. Fa Cup is the oldest Football tournment in the World and it deserves respect!!! i remember when on 18th of may 1991 Gary Mabbutt clinched the Cup....As ever COYS!!!!

14. Dace Member

I see things a little differently, other than the fact we got out of jail yesterday.
    Poch must take some blame, perhaps because of the lineup but really because of his rotation or lack of it in the PL.
    Players like Trippier, Davis, CCV and Wimmer need game time, there are times we could give one of them 20-30 minutes in a game, regardless of the score, that way they would be more attuned. ie. In a back three ( which is a back five as well ) we could rest a full back or even one of Verts, Toby, Dier and still not struggle.
    We are doing this will Dembele and Winks, to a degree.
    Try Janssen with the best three behind him, Alli, Son, Eriksen (chosen as an example) rather than having him play with the 'B' team, we had a chance Vs West Brom but Poch left Kane on ( I know Janssen was not in the squad)
    Nkoudou with two out of Alli,Son,Ericksen or Lamela ( if he comes back).
    Poch is a good fit for us and I would change him but he does seem slow to bring on subs. Games are tight but sometimes we need to look at 'What Ifs' ... rather than playing a team with ten changes..

Onto the game yesterday, abysmal is not strong enough to describe that shambles.
    We were really poor, perhaps Poch has learnt that more than a few players just are not good enough.
    Cannot see a future for Onomah, CCV, Sissoko, Wimmer at Spurs, even Davis looked a little suspect.

We have moved onto the next round but if we field a team like yesterdays then we are going to be disappointed.
    I realise this is the way for clubs to view the FA Cup ( a real shame) but if it is to become a 'B' team competition then why bother?

Felon82, Bazza47 and Spurporter like this.
  15. Dace Member

Meant to say, as StevefromItaly mentioned alot of credit should go to Wycombe .
    They matched or beat us in intensity, their fitness was incredible.
    They seemed pacier than us and were most definitely UP for it .

Bazza47 likes this.
  16. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

My goodness, one bad performance of the backup unit and everyone's angling for all the players to be sold? One of the best things about Spurs is that we don't always buy our way out of problems, these young players need time and experience to develop. There's a legitimate argument for a few of them but not all.

Sissoko, he's an experienced player and should bare the blunt of most of the issues. 30 mil looks wasted, he has not finishing quality about him and doesn't seem to enjoy using his physicality; for a man that size and power, he should have bossed around Wycombe all day long.

Wimmer's disappointing, especially considering how he stepped up last year, he looks to have gone backwards; still think he has quality but needs confidence...just keep it simple.

Winks, Dier, Son, Vorm, Davis, Trippier, Vickers - are all quality players, did not have the best of days but they should be just fine. Vickers was left out to hang again by his partnering CB; pair him up with a good CB - for his age he'll only get a lot better.

GK and Janssen need to take their chances, Janssen at least puts in a shift; on any given day...the least you can say is that he gave it his all. GK needs to start proving his quality, I was a fan of Njie; if not for the injuries - I felt he was more polished and direct than GK.

Unfortunately, I'd agree with some of the comments on Onomah. Think he needs a loan spell to go and prove himself, doesn't seem to have what it takes to play in the prem; so far.

Bazza47 likes this.
  17. Bazza47

The thing is with Onomah, poor lad, is that 31,500 people can see that he's not going to make it, bar 1 at the moment. I suspect Poch doesn't really know what to do with him. The loan deal seems to be the only realistic option. For sure he lacks confidence, with poor touch and close control....mind you there were some, including me, that thought HK was in that category.....it's a funny old game.

Remy Uwilin likes this.
  18. burnt Well-Known Member

Danny Rose ??

I don't see it with Josh either but as some of our first teamers are proving at the moment , you never can tell with youngsters ... The other side of the coin is players like Micha Richards , Jack Rodwell and the likes looking very impressive , get hyped up to the last and never turn into the players people taught they were going to be .... That's why I hate to see the likes of our own Marcus Edwards getting all this hype before we even know what he looks like ... I was cringing when Poch was comparing him with Messi earlier in the season , even if was taken a bit out of context ... I remember Houlier comparing a certain Bruno Cheyrou to a young Zidane , we know how that turned out , Bruno who ??? Let them do their talking on the pitch , it's hard enough to make it besides living with that kind of pressure and hype at such an early stage in their development ... Just my opinion of course , i'm sure others will differ .... C.O.Y.S ....

Remy Uwilin and Bazza47 like this.
  19. 71yid

71yid Member

Well what a classic cup match and mighty Wycombe did more than enough to upset the form book and produce an upset but hang on........we showed some character once again in the last 5 or so minutes to produce a perhaps fortuitous win and progress to round 5... The draw of which will take place shortly tonight. There were times when i thought why are these second choice players even on the pitch when so little effort and desire was evident, it took Alli and Son once more to drag us out the brown stuff and show the likes of Sissoko etc how its done. If we are to challenge for honours then we need a second 11 who will show effort and commitment like the first team. The injury to Trippier,who left the pitch, was unfortunate but honestly at least 4 or 5 others might as well have gone off too. Janssen made a bit of a difference but im still concerned, given the outlay of dosh to buy him, when he will actually find the net with his first open play goal. I still have to ask how important this cup is to our players at times and just what is the priority here......after all, its the year of the cockeral and as a club on the up, we need some silverware and soon! Coys as always!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button