Onto A Wimmer - Austrian Steadies Spurs Ship

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, February 10, 2016.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    As Jan Vertonghen lay prone in the home side’s penalty box at Selhurst Park just over two weeks ago, many Spurs fans could be forgiven for assuming that our high-flying season was about to take an inevitable nose-dive into the ground.

We’re eternal pessimists, us Spurs fans, and an injury to a player who had until then taken part in every minute of a season which had seen us finally surge towards the Top 4 of the Premier League looked to be the speedbump that we were expecting to slow us down.

But for once, Titanic Hotspur successfully navigated the ice-burg field that usually sinks our optimism.

One man who can take a huge amount of credit for the ‘steadying of the ship’ is 23-year-old Austrian Kevin Wimmer.

Stepping Up

Wimmer has stepped straight into a Spurs side which has gone largely unchanged since the start of the season, but has seen the ball hit the back of the net just once since coming on for the last 15 minutes against Crystal Palace – a Ben Davies own goal against Colchester.

Clean sheets against Norwich City and Watford have followed, and the absence of spinal squad member Jan Vertonghen has gone largely unnoticed.

Spurs have the best defensive record in the League, conceding just 19 goals in 25 games all season, and the Austrian cannot go without praise for rising from his season ticket on the Spurs bench to forging a similarly formidable partnership with Toby Alderweireld than the one the Belgian duo had previously cemented.

Wimmer could have been forgiven for setting up camp on the Spurs substitute bench as Toby and Jan took the applause on the field.

For now, Spurs’ assault on the Top 4 remains on track, thanks largely to a stellar defensive season so far. However, a trip to the Etihad to face the likes of Aguero, Sterling, Toure and Co. presents the next and most difficult test.

zinzanzee and Deggsy56 like this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Wimmer has looked composed and a good fit as an understudy to Jan.
    Aguero etc will be a test for him but they've got to get past Dier and the Moose first! ( No chance )

COYS!!!

Jonesy likes this.
  3. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Leicester managed it quite easily !!!!! No reason why our best team shouldn't.

4. zinzanzee New Member

When was the last time a SPURS fan wrote about a seemless transition when we lost one of our best performers ? Yeah I can't remember as well. In the past injuries like this slowed our momenton. So far not so.

I see this as evidence to how the team have bought in to Poch's philosophy. We play as a team. If one part is is not performing at optimum the rest of the parts fill in and we still work like clockwork.

This is our SPURS enjoy, don't stress we just keep proving the doubters wrong.

I agree this is a massive test this weekend. City were wounded last game, but remember the table never lies and it was not as if it was by a lowly team ( yes can't believe I'm saying that about LC ).

MP is really all about Audere Est Facere. COYS.

5. johnnyhrvat Guest

Glad the guy is getting the recognition he deserves - defenders are usually the first in line for criticism and the last in line for praise. I was really impressed with him in the last couple of games and wondered why he has been sitting on the bench when he looks so good - JV will struggle to get his place back. Not easy to be understudy for so long and then be thrust into the limelight. Very pleased for KWi.

6. guesty Guest

perhaps there is a lot to be said for Kane's comment about the whole squad working towards one goal. no 'bad eggs' and all that.
    says a lot that a defender can walk into the team and look like he's always been there (this season). that must be down the to player, the team, the squad and the management all aligning together. let's hope we can stay that way for the rest for the season.
    big game against City.....they are a wounded animal

Nomadico likes this.
  7. Pikey New Member

Great example of Poch keeping players motivated, waiting patiently for their chance and being ready when called upon. Wimmer must have known he was signed as cover for Jan & Toby and would play in the cups at best if neither got injured. Credit to him for being patient and obviously training hard to fit in. I really like the look of him. Big and strong obviously but a very good passer. And i think this is where we have changed most dramatically from past seasons, we now have 4 CB's who are all excellent passers as well as being good defenders. Makes a change from the days of Kaboul and Dawson that's for sure. Can't wait to finally see Carter-Vickers too.

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

At long last we have that bit of steel and grit we have all craved for years! Poch has done a solid job thus far.

For Wimmer, he has done well and looks to be settling in. However, I think the real acid test is against Sergio on Sunday. He is an outstanding striker and is back to full fitness. In addition, Kompany will be available for selection and that is a big boost for Citeh :-(

That said, we are bang in form and must not fear anyone atm. Mousa, Harry and Delli can cause problems for them in their defensive areas.

3 points would be massive for us.

COYS

9. adamw1991

adamw1991 New Member

Yep its a testing time, but luckily Wimmer is surrounded by a very well organised back 5 with Erik "Hulk Smash" Dier... Also its Alderwierld that has made Verthongen look so good

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button