MP's WAM Raid on Saints and potential transfer targets

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, June 25, 2016.

Share This Page

1. bigfran

bigfran Member

Following a very successful raid on his former club Southampton last summer in securing the acquisition of our defensive lynchpin Toby Alderweireld, Poch has struck again in the form of midfield enforcer Victor Wanyama for a knock down price.

On face value this looks a great deal at the price mooted and a clever one also in the belief that not only provide the depth in midfield we severely lacked in the closing stages last season in particular but also allow Eric Dier to be deployed as a fourth line centre half negating the need to sign someone to cover in the event Toby gets injured or in need of rotation.

Hopefully that money saved can be used to bolster our attacking third were we lack quality rather than depth. However I would not be surprised to see spurs still sign another centre mid as I would expect Mason, Carroll and possibly Bentaleb to be moved on given last season’s struggles. To be fair the latter may avoid the cull due to being able to hide behind an injury ravaged season granted but let's not forget his suicidal form prior to that(I'm not a fan). Either way to sell 2 possibly 3 MIDs and replace with only one would be lunacy at best.

Many pundits and fans alike have stated that Spurs only need to beef up our squad to back up the regular starting 11 up but I'd disagree with that totally. I'd prefer to strengthen the starting 11 meaning as impressive as one or two were last season how good would our squad be if the likes of Eriksen, Lamela, Alli etc be if they were looking over their shoulders once more? Axel Witsel could be available for around 15m with Poch a known admirer and his contract running down. This could be offset by the sales of the three named above easily.

ON THE ATTACK..

That brings me onto our final third despite being one of the top scoring teams in the league we did look bare, tired and lacking of ideas at key stages off the campaign in particular one of our own Harry Kane who played too much and ran too much!It’s going to take a brave man to come in and compete with our talisman for the one CF berth and will more than likely only be a backup option.The three names doing the rounds are Michy, Janssen and Sanabria of Roma. To be honest I know little about all three apart from what we read and see on Youtube.

Michy

Scores goals at a very good rate in the French league which isn't great standard but looks strong, pacy and can finish. On the negative side looks a little pricey at 25m given he will be essentially a back up to Kane and doesn't have the ability to compensate that fact by playing out wide also concerning that both Origi and Benteke are preferred at national level given their respective poor seasons.

Janssen

Again looks a direct alternative to HK but much cheaper. Plies his trade again in a poor Dutch league but I like the way he finishes and you can see why he's been likened to Nistelrooy. The Dutch do tend to settle quite well in the EPL and he stated he would be prepared to fight for game time on all fronts which shows his attitude is good.

Sanabria

A much younger option who would be a signing more for his potential rather than a striker for the now which Spurs desperately need. Had we been in the Europa league be a great fit. On loan from Roma scored an impressive 11 goals for struggling Gijon despite his age in a tough league for goalscoring. Was surprised how physically developed he was for a young kid and may be worth a punt on a structured deal.

Off course all 3 will find game time limited but some games will require two front men or Kane maybe deployed as a number 10 so I would not be looking at signing no more than one out and out striker and also I wide player who could also operate upfront.

Personally I wouldn't sign either of the 3 and would spend the full attacking budget on Lacazette who would come in play primarily as a right sided attacker and be used as a striker when necessary- kill two birds with one stone as the story goes. However I feel the price will be too high and a bigger move will beckon for the Frenchman and I expect Janssen to be the deal we eventually seal in the next week or so.

Sadio Mane came on the market this morning and if Spurs don't get in on this deal they would be stark raving mad given his strike rate for Southampton and previous clubs also for a wide player. I feel we lack pace in attack at times and he will certainly bring that to the table.Surely Spurs given champions league football and being in London would be a better draw than Liverpool at this point in time?? André Schürrle could be a great alternative in a similar capacity.
    In conclusion if the Wanyama deal was followed up by signing Janssen and one from Mane/ Schürrle I'd be one happy chappy confident of another title push and a trophy to boot. Witsel would be the icing on the cake...

Nomadico likes this.
  2. THFCk1rky Guest

Janssen can also play on both wings and just behind the main striker And we all know Poch loves versatility.
    Also N'jie should be back from injury and can add pace to the wings when needed, Id like to see Schurrle down left though

3. Big fran Guest

From what little I've seen of janssen I'm a big fan and he seems to have a good mentality and attitude. Taken to international fold well also with 3 in 5 games.
    Njie its difficult and almost unfair to judge given his injury troubles. He has the pace and work rate for sure but his touch and passing was off the pace in the few games he played. We definatley need minimum one quality additional wide player and with chadli Pritchard njie and Son at the club I'd expect one if not two to move on. More than likely Pritchard which would be harsh along with Chugger Chadli.
    If we got janssen and schurrle in early it would be a good summer.

Nomadico likes this.
  4. EdWhite Guest

I agree that with what has been said previously, but I think a right sided CB and an attacking deep midfielder are also required.
    My personal choice would be Joel Veltman and Youri Tielemans to fill these positions.

5. I'm seriously beginning to think that the trend for playing only one striker is leading to a lack of talent available. Any second striker is basically going to have to live with being on the bench and only getting game time through injury or if chasing a goal. Unless you're a big club who can afford to pay players stupid money so that they're going to be happy not playing (with the possibility of still picking up a medal for something) it's very hard to attract quality striking talent. Kane only really got his chance because Soldado was so very poor. Had he done well Kane would have been who knows where? At least when there were two strikers then they would be more likely to start, and even if you were a third striker in a squad you would perhaps feel you could get games if form dropped or again through injury. It's kind of the same with goalies to an extent (although they know there can only ever be one in a side), but how many sides have a backup goalie who is truly of a quality they would want to play with regularly? Even big (rich) sides like City and Chelsea struggle when their main striker is out because they're losing their main attaching focus rather than a portion of it.

6. burnt Guest

With Victor coming in I dont see us going for someone like Witzel now , doubting we,ll see another center back either with Dier able to play that position and the young American fella ... Think we,ll bring in a couple of attackers , Janssen looking likely and one other , still think Batashuyi is on the radar if the price is right ... Possibly a couple of unknown young guns too if we can make space for them in the squad .... Still decisions to be made on Pritch and Yedlin so lots of work to be done on the squad yet .... That's my idea of what will happen between now and Sept , time will tell .... The other side of the coin is none of the big boys have come sniffing around any of our gems yet with the Euros in full swing , no doubt there'll be some sort of speculation at the very least between now and Sept ....

Nomadico likes this.
  7. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I am sure Poch has done his home work and if Mane was available Poch would go for him,as for Janssen he is a good striker and would fit in with our style of play,the lad from WBA is still around and want's to come to us he just need's to sort his attitude out but most of that last season was to force a move plus his price should be a lot lower....

8. Nomadico Well-Known Member

If the report's today are correct then Berhino is still around for 15mill last season his attitude sucked but he plays well with Kane in the England set up,he wants to come to us so why not,the other options will cost a lot more and will need time to bed in to the EPL plus many of our targets are now being watched by the big money bag clubs so it is time to move before the price sky rockets but will Levy do it that's the question,time to back Poch.....COYS..

9. bigfran

bigfran Member

Big fan of berahino as many will know but I feel that the deal is dead given the fact Wba are open to a sale more than likely for less than what we offered last time. Added to the fact he openly wants a transfer to spurs it should be an easy deal that hasn't been done already..

Nomadico likes this.
  10. Nomadico Well-Known Member

May be there is still bad blood with there chairman and Levy but I thought that was over,Berahino would be a great buy and if he hits the form we know he can then the partnership with Kane would be a joy to watch,better than some body we have to bed in and wait for a season for it to work..

11. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Firstly, there is no doubt that Wanyama is an excellent signing and alongside Dier, Alli and Dembele we have a superb midfield that any team would be jealous of.

I personally HATE the transfer window. We have so been linked with around 20 different players in different papers and on social media.

We need another striker. Who knew? It needs to be someone who can play in place of Kane but also alongside him as well.

Other than that, until they are wearing the Spurs shirt, the players linked with Spurs remain just pie in the sky.
    We may sign 2 or 3 more, but I wouldn't expect a mass influx.

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Kane looked utterly spent this Euros and finished the season the same, he needs a big rest and some support.
    Without considerable changes we are going to struggle next year.

13. Nomadico Well-Known Member

The only good thing to come out of the abject showing last night is our lads will have more time off before the pre-season starts,Kane and Ali looked out of sorts and Dier needs the rest..
    With Wanyama in we now need a striker and a wide man,it is far to early to pass judgement on the squad,wait to the window is closed and see who comes in then we have a better picture of what fate awaits us....COYS

14. burnt Guest

Another infamous Poch pre-season is just a couple of weeks away , will be interesting to see how the lads bounce back after so much disappointment having given so much to both causes over the last eleven months ..... Also a bit of a worry how so many of our players don't come up with the goods at the most crucial of times ..... Bad habit's for a young bunch , hope it's not going to leave any baggage ... Will be surprised if the Belgians don't bottle it at some stage too , as Ive said a number of times already , they're another bunch with suspect mentality ...... As long as none of this spills over to T.H.F.C,s quest next season then I'm not really bothered but I have my doubts .........

15. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Like others I havn't seen a lot of these players but I have to say I like the look of Janssen, as a player he looks a lot like our Harry and has a good attitude and not afraid to fight and for a place and from what ive seen looks like he can fit into Poch's system.
    As for the other two cant say im that exited by Sanabria, for me he's nowhere near in the same class as Janssen so im hoping that Danny stops playing his usual games and gets this one done before Melbourne so we can get a look at him over here.
    As for Michy he looks a good player but seems to rely on pace a bit too much to get on the end of a ball rather than graft and work for it like players like Kane and Janssen who also looks like he has some good pace as well. And then there's those reports of wage demands, not likely mate, not with Chairman Dan. Better off going to MUGS WITH MONEY.

16. bigfran

bigfran Member

Looks like Michy is Chelsea bound like I said above very overpriced for a striker who notched only 17 goals in an average league last term and would be an expensive understudy to kane in our lone striker system. Would expect Janssen to be our primary target now who would represent less of a risk at less than half the price and a few years younger value for money.

Nomadico likes this.
  17. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I would like to think that our lone striker system is NOT set in stone but part of a plan A and B with 2 strikers when needed,last season we seemed to play only Kane we need a plan B and Janssen would fit the bill,Michy was another Ade, grabbing as much money as possible so I am glad he has gone to Chelski, now it is time for Levy to get Janssen in NOW rather than later..COYS....

Felon82 likes this.
  18. Tottenhamlover

Tottenhamlover Member

Janssen would be a great signing, i have seen a lot of him and he is similar to Harry Kane but quicker. He can also link the play very well. and 16.5 million is a reasonable price tag for a 22 year old who scored 27 goals last season in the top dutch league

19. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I hope Levy is not up to his old tricks again,if it is only a 1 Mil holding up the Janssen deal then he is,and now reports state that we will bid 38Mil for Icardi I can not see this happening Levy would never sanction it, but Janssen can be had also Berahino is still out there 16-20Mil.Now we wait for Levy to play his game and end up with nothing or maybe a second rate free transfer,will Levy ever learn???COYS

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button