More positives than negatives - Man City 4-1 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Socrates, October 18, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Socrates

Socrates Member

Football supporters looking at the full-time score today might assume that City handed Spurs yet another thrashing and romped to a comfortable 4-1 victory. However, I find it hard to feel despondent about our performance today. The result, yes, but from today I take more positives than negatives.

A Pochettino Team

We’ve shown glimpses this season of what Southampton fans enjoyed for the majority of their 18 months with Pochettino at the helm.

Our performances against QPR, Sunderland and in certain moments against Southampton were all excellent.

Today was another one of those performances, for an hour at least. I can’t remember the last time we were so threatening going forward. Some of the play between Lamela, Eriksen and Soldado was exquisite; we moved the ball with pace and purpose.

A mention must also go to Mason, who I thought was excellent in the middle of the park.

It wasn’t our best showing defensively today, but I don’t think City were much to write home about in that respect either – it was just an end-to-end game that the Premier League often throws up.

Soldado

Our £26M enigma. Honestly, I thought he was good today. He missed a penalty at a crucial moment, I know, and Aguero showed the world what it truly means to be world class, but I feel Soldado will be easily scapegoated because of a poor penalty.

He offers a lot to the team with his overall play and it frustrates me how this always gets overlooked. Pundits and fans alike seem to gloss over this aspect of his game. A striker’s job is to score goals, and I cannot defend Soldado in that respect, but he definitely does not get the credit he is due in every other aspect of his game.

His vision today was fantastic and he looks very comfortable on the ball overall; his general touches and passes are nearly always effective, compared to Adebayor whose touch is painful to watch at times.

Soldado assisted for Eriksen today and played an unbelievable ball through to Mason early on as well.

Like I said, I feel he will be overly criticised and I worry what that might do for his confidence, but I implore you to judge him on his general performance, not just a poor penalty.

Don’t get me wrong, he is not a world class striker by any means, but given that Adebayor has scored just the solitary goal this season (and has looked very poor overall), I feel we need to stick with Soldado… although Harry Kane might have something to say about that if he keeps scoring in the Europa League and Capital One Cup.

John Moss

Much like Soldado, I expect John Moss to be sharing the headlines today for all the wrong reasons. It’s fair to say that this was one of the most bizarre refereeing performances I’ve ever seen.

Our penalty and City’s 1st were both non-existent in my opinion and the red card on Fazio, which ultimately killed the game, was dubious to say the least.

I don’t want to attack a referee, or use him as an excuse for our loss, but it’s certainly not the first time we’ve been harshly punished against a big team. It happens so often it’s becoming easier and easier to predict, almost inevitable in fact.

In truth, I think we probably would’ve lost today regardless of the poor decisions, but it is frustrating to know that we weren’t given that chance to lose fairly – that’s what really gets under my skin.

A loss I can handle, every fan can. You win some you lose some. However, losing in this manner, where a lot of us are now taking to all forms of social media to voice our discontent at the referee for preventing what might have been is just frustrating.

I hate the feeling of being treated unfairly and you could easily write a list as long as your arm at the amount of times we’ve not had the rub of the green in big games like this.

Strangely Satisfied

We lost today, quite heavily in fact, yet I’m finding it hard to be despondent. I saw a lot that I was happy with out there. Ok, defensively we still have our issues and going forward we’re not the finished article either, but perhaps that’s what’s keeping me so positive. We’re only a handful of games into this season, into Pochettino’s tenure, and we’ve shown plenty of positives already.

As aforementioned, we looked so threatening whenever we went forward. It was genuinely exciting to watch. Now imagine that after a season of working in this system; some of those passes that are half a yard off become spot on, the slight mistakes in the movement of the players are suddenly complete rarities, those half chances get taken.

We moved the ball quickly, with intent and we looked like we believed. That’s all I can ask for. We went to the Etihad with, on paper, one of our weakest squads since we’ve been consistently challenging for the top 4-6 positions, and we played about as well as we’ve played there since that night a few years ago.

An absolutely world class performance from Aguero and some unlucky decisions ultimately prevented this from being a memorable day. Will that stop pundits and fans making asinine comments about Soldado, Fazio et al, probably not, but hey, it’s all about being patient.

We moan and moan at Levy. We moan and moan at his treatment of managers, and rightly so, so let’s give our manager the time and the backing that our chairman seemingly doesn’t. Let’s take the positives from this performance, of which there were plenty.

We lost to the side that will not finish lower than 2nd this season but we put on a bloody good display.

Today, I am proud. COYS.

The Cockerel, Spurporter and Mattj78 like this.
  2. Chris #2 Guest

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I dont think Lamela had any good moments today tbh.

Continuing the comments on the ref, I have to add that Lampard was offsite when Aguero put in the first goal (obstructing vision of Lloris - intefering with the outcome of the situation). Ofc, spotting that as a ref on the pitch is much harder than spotting it on the telly.

3. BIG BOB Guest

Their first was the most frustrating ref decision of them all

Fat Frank had to jump to get out the way of the shot - insanely interfering and insanely offside

Going to City is always gonna be a tough gig - You really don't need the ref being a prick too

4. DaveDave Guest

If our pen had gone in. If. If. If...
    Yes, thought we played quite well and created some decent chances. Hart made two excellent saves from Mason and Soldado which on other days might've gone in. But let's not forget Loris performed heroics at the other end too.
    Now that Soldado's been given the nod, he has to be given as generous as run as Ade was given. Have always felt given a fair run this season, he might come good. But the back four were generally pitiful today and Capoue not much better. Kaboul looks happier with Vert alongside him. Bonzo and Davies need to come into the reckoning too.

5. Mclovon Guest

I've said before and I'll say it again, there is nowhere and no body that the Arab oil money cannot reach...

6. Keith Andrew New Member

I agree with all you say and I believe that Soldado is a much better fit to the system he is good on the ball and can pass to a ball and find people. I believe he will score goals he needs to be given a run although disappointed he missed pen as at 2-2 who knows where it may have ended. Defensively we were naive but then so where city, difference being they had Augero. We still lack mobility at the back and players who can read the game afraid Kaboul is not the answer, imagine the stick Dawson got last year. I still positive though and although I thought we would do no better than top 10, maybe we could add a cup or two? After all the first 2 city goals should not have been one was offside and the other never a penalty. I am still positive. COYS

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

W3 D2 L3 bang average start from a bang average team.
    Dodgey decisions aside our defence is awful if not for Lloris we would get thumped every game. And once again we could only muster 1 goal.
    Scoring and Defending the 2 most important things in a football team and were poor at both.
    Pick all the positives out you like end of the day we lost 4-1 and are doing the full circle back to mid table.
    COYS!!!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  8. Rich Guest

Terrible review! Yes we look a bit dangerous, that's because city were attacking with 8 men and we only scored 1! It could easily been 7 or 8. What you are missing is the fact that City put out pretty much a second string team and still completely outplayed us. Poch is clueless and half our team is utter garbage! I pray we don't get sucked into a relegation battle!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  9. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

An amazing over reaction!!! Today we were on a par with City and but for poor decisions by the ref and some better finishing, we could have come away with a point, if not more.
    The refereeing was abysmal. The first goal is off side. Lampard is offside, blocking the keepers vision and it was a poor decision not to give offside by the officials.
    The first penalty was an utterly atrocious piece of refereeing. The second was a penalty. It was a clumsy challenge from Kaboul, but Lloris saved well.
    In terms of kaboul, I have been listening to radio phone in where fans have said Kaboul was dreadful. What game were they watching? Other than the challenge for that Penalty, he was strong and made three, at least, superb last ditch tackles. I have been one of Kaboul's biggest critics, but he was superb today.
    By the time we were one down, we could have been two up. Some intricate football led to Mason being in on goal and Hart saved well. Then Eriksen should have done better from the angle, but the attacking play was fast and positive.
    The equaliser was superbly worked on the break, and at that point, I truly thought we could win the game.
    The referee then lost the plot completely. He first missed a blatant hand ball by Sagna in the box, but then awarded us a penalty for a back tickle on Soldado which was clearly outside the box. If we had scored, it would have evened the game up, but Soldado's penalty was weak and Hart saved easily.
    Soldado played well today and linked up the play far better than Adebayor does, and I hope the penalty miss doesn't cost him his place. He did have a chance after the penalty miss, but the ball was slightly behind him.
    The referee then totally ruined the game. I do not think it was a penalty, but the red card was a ridiculous decision and the referee needs to be demoted after this game. When a referee influences a game as much as this one did, he shouldn't be near football pitches. I hope that the red card is rescinded as it was a shocking decision.
    The last goal from City was class, but we did not capitulate. We kept trying to get forward and I think today was a good performance. Yes, losing 4 - 1 is not good, but we did not deserve that today.
    We pressed well, we harried and at times we were the better team. To say we are or were garbage today is a crazy over reaction, one I have been guilty of many times in the past, but today , we were unlucky.
    Capoue and Mason were excellent and Mason could become a star for Spurs. His endless running, passing and link up play was, at times, brilliant.
    Lamela tried hard and has plenty of skill, but he is a liability on the edge of his own box.
    Soldado will get a hat full once he hits the net, and his all find play today showed that he is a classy player.
    Kaboul made an error of judgement for the second Penalty, but overall he was outstanding and Fazio looks a great player too. The sending off was simply unjust.
    Rose and Dier played okay and Rose in particular got forward well today.
    Eriksen looks like he is getting back to his best and all in all, I refuse to be negative about today's performance.
    What today showed me is that this Spurs team is growing and starting to implement Pochettino's style. It will take time, but it was always going to.

On another day, with a different referee, we could have won this game.
    On to the next game and three points.

The Cockerel likes this.
  10. big fran Guest

Obviously there is something going on between vertonghen and poch. To pick fazio over him in a big game
    like this smacks of a fall out but has that cost us the game maybe??

11. Mattj78

Fazio played well and Kaboul was superb apart from the penalty. Verts is good but that did not cost us the game. Poor refereeing cost us today. There are a lot of positives to take and if we continue to play as well as we did for the most part, we will start pasting teams.

12. Gary Guest

13. Gary Guest

Bang on youth, we looked more positive but we cannot defend again. Give Soldaldo a run, persevere with Kane but for **** sake sign a centre half and a ruthless midfielder. City are good but in certain aspects we matched them, for a while. At least we can only improve I hope

Mattj78 likes this.
  14. Mattj78

We are improving and will continue to do so. It will take time. But today we played well. He ref cost us dear.

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Yes we have been on the end of a number of dodgey/harsh decisions but there is no smoke without fire, our naivety and plain stupidity at times just invites these scenarios.

16. Mattj78

It does, but I think some of the negativity about how we played today has been very blinkered. Only one penalty was a penalty and the first goal was offside.
    We must remember that Aguero is a world class player and he will punish many teams this year.
    I still think there are more positives rah. Negatives from today's game. You should know by now that I am one of the most pessimistic Spurs fans there are, but I truly believe that we gave a very good show today and went to win the game.
    Yes, we made errors but we played very, very well against a team that will challenge to win the league.

17. big fran Guest

Can't comment as I haven't seen the game yet but to concede four goals again questions need to be asked about the centre halves surely!! Wouldn't like to predict how they would fare on a bad day then v a full strength city side

18. Mattj78

You need to watch the full game. You simply cannot legislate for corrupt refereeing.

19. big fran Guest

Just seen highlights n kaboul got rinsed. Fazio poor. Two soft pens one for each side

20. stevethespur Active Member

Lampard mugged the ref for the first pen, and refs are only human, maybe time for a TMO like in rugby. Thought Agueiro was pretty unstoppable today, saying that, our defence wasnt as solid as you would want it to be. Didnt understand the inclusion of Fazio in the team, for this game surely the Verts n Kabs partnership needed to continue. We are a work in progress, but we were in the game and looked dangerous in attack. If we'd had a bit more luck ; Mason putting his opening chance away, the ref reading the game a bit better, if ! Hugo is still keeping us in alot of recent games and i'd like a string of matches where Loris wasnt the star as the team defended better. Overall it wasnt as awful as some games against City but 4-1 is 4-1 ! Thursday will be better pickings, expect a hatfull of goals at the lane. Coys.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button