Lovren hijack & Spurs can pounce for left-back

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, June 27, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Mauricio Pochettino is ready to hijack Liverpool’s move for Southampton defender Dejan Lovren and is hoping his relationship with the Croatian can convince him to turn down Champions League football.

The new Tottenham Hotspur head coach is keen to bring his former player to White Hart Lane and will rival any bid the Reds make for the £15 million rated player.

Spurs conceded 53 goals last season in the Premier League, despite starting the campaign solidly and Lovren could be the man to help solve our defensive issues.

The Evening Standard confirm Tottenham interest in signing Lovren and also suggest that club captain Michael Dawson could depart.

Club captain on the move?

The 30-year-old has apparently opened talks with Hull City over a £4 million move as he has just one year remaining on his contract.

Hull are confident of competing the move having recently signed Jake Livermore from the club but Crystal Palace, West Ham and Queens Park Rangers are also interested in the Spurs captain.

One player that won’t be joining the club is England youngster Luke Shaw after it was confirmed today that his move to Manchester United had been completed.

Moreno to Liverpool is off

But there is good news on the left-back front as Sevilla’s Alberto Moreno is definitely not moving to Liverpool.

The La Liga club’s Sporting Director Monchi told El Correo del Andalusia that any deal between the Premier League club and Sevilla is off.

Monchi did insist that he hope Moreno would remain with the club but it now means Spurs can swoop.

The Sevilla Sporting Director said: “The matter of Alberto is practically settled. We couldn’t reach an agreement and I don’t think it can be revived.

“It was great offer, but the player is only 21 years old and it’s possible that the catharsis of being with the national team had a positive effect.

“He has a lot of room to grow and the coach is very happy to have him.

“My feeling is that the negotiations are paralyzed and I don’t see any hint that they will be restarted.”

It would certainly be worth testing Sevilla’s resolve over Moreno now that Liverpool appear to be out of the running.

Spurspanyol recently provided a fact file on the young left-back and believes he would be a huge upgrade on Danny Rose.

2. Mark H Guest

my Grandad would be a huge upgrade on Danny Rose or basically anyone with an ounce of nous, positional sense or the ability to understand what "defend" means because Rose has none of these attributes

Felon82 likes this.
  3. harold Guest

Maybe rose needs to be moved to left side of midfield with lessened defensive duties

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Given time Danny Rose would make a top left back in say league 2 and theres still hope for Naughton my local Sunday team are looking for players

5. Don Juan Guest

Oi Felon.
    Jog on, My pub team need him more. Naughton would line up nicely with my vets team.

Felon82 likes this.
  6. sam-spurs Guest

None of you can have them, my infants school team needs someone to cut the oranges up at half time---I mean come on, have a heart..

Felon82 likes this.
  7. big fran Guest

Would love to know what the great Ramos thinks over these marvels.... Rose and Naughton! On a serious note though this story does seem to be gathering a bit of pace and hopefully pochettinos relationship could swing it for us added to the fallout of the Suarez saga and Spanish expert G.Balague convinced he will leave to join barca this summer. Suarez papered over lots of cracks for pool as did bale for us likewise! Would you really want to sign for a club selling off their prize asset champs league or not? Can't say I've seen any of the left bk but is certainly an area that needs addressing asap IMO but there are few quality left BKS about in our price bracket. Anybody have an idea of our rumoured transfer kitty? Must be a few quid to be made selling off the huge amount of fringe players we seem to have amassed!

8. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

just had a look at the Lovren clip you posted he looks very confident playing on the right side. I like the look of this player and could see him playing right side of defence next to Jan. I dont know how the player himself feels about moving over to the right but being a right footer im hoping it could work. I dont want to bring up a previous debate but for me its quite simple and uncomplicated and not as longwinded as some OTHERS might make it. Some CBs are able to play on both sides of defence and some prefer thier best side and would only be moved from thier best and most effective position as a last resort. A few posts have mentioned Rose, dont get me started, this guy is not a left back and never will be I think his best position is left right out.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button