Love affair with the FA Cup

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Craig Emanuel, April 21, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Craig Emanuel Member

Today is my birthday. As a man in my (now) mid 30s, the timing of my life in conjunction with the fortunes of Spurs has not been kind.

We used to be THE club for the FA Cup. It was our cup. When we last won it in 1991, no one had held the famous trophy aloft more times than Tottenham Hotspur.

We had won it 8 times and the years are indelibly etched onto my brain – 1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982 and 1991. Before I was born we had never lost an FA Cup final. 7 out of 7. However, in 1987 we suffered that fate to lowly Coventry City and since then we’ve only reached the final once in 30 years. That was way back in 1991, when we beat Nottingham Forest in extra time courtesy of a Des Walker own goal.

For me, the climax to that 1991 Cup win formed my first memories of Spurs – that semi against Woolwich and the final. Although in truth I have no idea how much I remember from the time, and how much I recall from the many times I’ve seen the subsequent footage. My dad used to record all of our big games on the old VHS player and keep the glorious wins for posterity.

The Barry Davies commentary of that incredible semi final win will live with me forever – from Gazza’s free kick: “Is he gonna have a crack? He is you know! Oh I say! That is just Schoolboys’ Own stuff!” and Lineker wrapping up the 3-1 win: “Nayim to the left, Samways ahead. Lineker uses him by not using him…”.

I remember the joy that FA Cup run brought my family but, as a kid just starting to form my bonds with the club, it wasn’t too significant for me at the time. As the barren years have passed though, I have found myself become enslaved to the memory of 1991 – I have dreamt of experiencing a piece of FA Cup history for myself. It has become somewhat of a holy grail for me.

So many times since we have got to the semi final but then fallen at the last hurdle.

1. The revenge semi against the scum in 1993;
    2. Klinsmann et al losing to Everton in 1995;
    3. Shearer’s piledriver for Newcastle in 1999;
    4. Another semi final defeat to Woolwich in 2001 in what was Judas’s last game;
    5. Pompey in 2010; and
    6. Mata’s “ghost goal” for Chelsea against us in 2012.
    Will it be seventh time lucky and will we exact our own slice of revenge on Chelsea for all the pain they have inflicted on us in recent years?

1991 is now a distant memory and, in the current world of HD and Ultra HD, the grainy images looks increasingly outdated every time I see them. 26 years is a long time. Most people have never wanted anything for that long. To adapt an excerpt from Fever Pitch (ignoring that it was originally about the wrong team):

“Do you know what you wanted 26 years ago? Or 20? Or 10? Or 5? I doubt it. I’d doubt if you wanted anything for that long.”

I have. I’ve wanted to see Tottenham Hotspur in an FA Cup final. I’ve wanted to stand on the Wembley terraces with my chest pumped out in pride, singing “Abide With Me”. I’ve wanted to see us write a new chapter in our love affair with the FA Cup. I’ve wanted to see us lift that famous trophy and parade it down Tottenham High Road.

I’m welling up just thinking about it.

Yes, we’ve won the League Cup a couple of times but there is just something more special about the FA Cup. The history, the tradition, the inextricable link between our club and the competition… People say that the FA Cup has lost it’s appeal; that it’s a second rate competition nowadays. And maybe to some degree there is some truth in that. But if we win it this season, it will be the greatest thing I have seen my club achieve in over 25 years (if you put that ahead of finishing 3rd or 4th in the league). As Danny Blanchflower once said, “the game is about glory”.

With the current crop of players and Pochettino spearheading us, this time it feels closer than ever. Forget about what ramifications tomorrow might have on the title race. Let’s just get to the FA Cup final. Please Tottenham… this year the only birthday present I want is the one I’ve been longing for since I was 8 years old.

COYS!!!

Felon82, Spurporter, Deggsy56 and 2 others like this.
  2. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Your still a baby Craig,my first was 62' and I still get goose bumps when I think of it!!!The FA Cup will be a part of Spurs forever it has given us fans some of the best football seen any where at any ground, and with this manager and current crop of player's there will be many more glory nights so enjoy it!!!COYS...

Deggsy56 and Bazza47 like this.
  3. LJ83 Guest

Same age, same experience, same dream since I was 8! Fantastic side and glory days are upon us. COYS

Felon82 and Craig Emanuel like this.
  4. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Cometh the big day, Cometh the man, or Men.

Tomorrow, if the luck is with us for a change, will be our time. Beating Chelski , stopping their chance of the Double at a stroke, that is all we want.

Not much to ask for is it. Turn up lads, play your very best and win it for Ugo........

To Dare is to Do. COYS

burnt and Felon82 like this.
  5. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

' 67 my first real memory of Spurs ! My dad still supports them. The 67 cup final when I realised I wanted to be a spurs fan and still am - BUT greatest memory was that replay in 81. I was in Belize at the time no English TV at all. Immediately after the match the video was flown out to us and everyone watched in the NAAFi. I saw it 3 times. The best game Ricky Villa ever played!! Memories and Glory. It's our time again I hope !!

Felon82 and Bazza47 like this.
  6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

COYS !!!!!!

Don't let us down

7. burnt Well-Known Member

This is a biggie , this is our perfect opportunity to lay down a marker and show everyone what we,re all about .... Murdering the likes of these c**ts at this stage can be game changers for everyone ... This is the time to do it ....
    C.O.Y.S ........

8. Bazza47

Just back......it's a mission, a game at Wembley. Wearied by today. Will take stock overnight, then go again.
    4-2 was harsh. Whilst we didn't play great, the luck was against us today....Martin Atkinson, early booking, very harsh penalty, we came back well both times, scoring two good goals.
    But you have to be at your best to win at Wembley, it's a big game venue, requiring big performances and we weren't quite there today.
    Let's come again lads, next week is as big a game as today. Let's do it.
    COYS

Jonesy and burnt like this.
  9. burnt Well-Known Member

Authors of our own destruction really, that's the biggest sickener .. Their first 2 goals were so avoidably and then they get another from their first corner , again so avoidable ... 3 fecking dead balls , You won't get away with that against good sides and to be fair its very unlike us .. Taught we played some great stuff at times and was still confident we'd win at 2 - 2 ... Hard to take at this moment in time , especially against them sh1t bags but that's the way it goes ... Damn it anyway ... Big week ahead now , its imperative we bounce back straight away ... C.O.Y.S ......

Jonesy and Bazza47 like this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Season over

At least we can take comfort in finishing above the scum.

Tragic lack of winning mentality.

burnt, Jonesy and Bazza47 like this.
  11. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Spurs were a better team. Lloris was not as good. First and third goals would usually be his saves when in good form. I'll leave it at that...

burnt and Bazza47 like this.
  12. Bazza47

I think I have to agree. The free kick was his side and at a saveable height. In recent games he hasn't had much to do, then when called upon he wasn't at the races.

burnt likes this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

The scoreline was harsh mate and the drive up there was just as bad! However, glad to have been there and was enjoying the ride at 2-2. I thought we were the only team that would go on and win - but we didn't take our chances at this point. Unfortunately they were very clinical and have Hazard, a world class player. As for the fourth, an unbelievable strike which Matic is highly unlikely to replicate. It had to be against us :-(

Extremely hard one to take.

Bazza47 likes this.
  14. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I cannot believe we managed to set an unwanted record of being the first club to lose 7 FA Cup Semi-Finals in a row. Ffs, that is Spursy. Perhaps a distinct mental weakness that is endemic within our club? Very odd and we have to quash this - soon!

On a positive, this group of players are young. They have to learn from this. Bottom line, we need to win a trophy.

Turning our attention to the PL, clearly wins are all that matter. Palace away could be tricky but we should win and must beat that lot at the weekend. We need to keep the pressure on and believe. Stranger things have happened. COYS

burnt likes this.
  15. johnnyhrvat Guest

If you think your Spurs' fortunes have not been kind in your mid 30's, try imagining the perspective from someone in their mid 50's. However, even with this result I am still thoroughly enjoying the latest that Spurs have to offer.
    It was a great game which we contributed 66% to - Chelski did what they have done all season, be second best and win (a mid-table team when their Belgian departs at the end of the season).
    Just a couple of points: Son was a mistake, Davies would have offered more defensively and in attack (it was Son who 'lost' Moses at the Bridge which would effectively have us 1 point behind the leaders now) - I thought Vorm was our FA Cup keeper, and probably could have done better.
    Life will seem so much better on Thursday morning - hang in there!

burnt and Bazza47 like this.
  16. Bazza47

30's and 50's, mere sprogs. I'm 70 later this year and believe me you have to learn to live with the pain of being a Yiddo ..... in truth we've never played better than this season and yesterday as well. It's a game of fine margins. Shipping an early goal and a dodgy penalty will always make for a difficult day, and so it turned out to be....we have been fecking brilliant this term, let's not forget that and I know they will all feel as bad as we do this morning. COYS.

burnt likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button