Lamela’s ‘rabona’ steals the show as Spurs secure easy win

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Lee Calver, October 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Lee Calver

Lee Calver New Member

When it comes to Thursday night football, Tottenham fans have become accustomed to seeing a whole host of changes to the starting line-up. Ten or even 11 changes has been Mauricio Pochettino’s tactics thus far when it comes to the Europa League, so to see the manager make just the six changes was a shock.

We have also got used to seeing Roberto Soldado utilised more in the midweek cup fixtures than in the Premiership, so when the teams were announced and Emmanuel Adebayor and Harry Kane were leading the line, it was a pleasant surprise to think that our Spanish striker might get an extended run in the side – although with Kane notching a brilliant hat-trick, the in-form England u-21 striker is pushing hard for a start at the weekend.

Easy win?

Prior to kick-off, I’m certain the majority of Spurs fans would’ve expected us to beat this relatively unknown Greek side. However, I’m also pretty sure that a large number of those predicted we would roll over Partizan Belgrade in our opening Europa League Group C fixture, and despite being tougher opposition, Spurs were still considered huge favourites to topple the Turkish side Besiktas.

Unfortunately, both of those clashes ended in draws, so we couldn’t afford to take anything for granted tonight and most definitely couldn’t afford to slip up for the third consecutive time.

A Determination to win

Unlike the previous two European fixtures (in particular the tie in Belgrade), Tottenham started tonight’s match with urgency and both Lamela and Townsend down the flanks looked as though they were in the mood.

I’m not for one minute proclaiming we were playing sublime football throughout and looked like scoring every time we had possession, but in comparison to Thursday nights of late, it was considerably better.

Still shaky at the back

Despite these positives, before the second goal (we will get back to that) we could quite easily have found ourselves 2-1 behind as Asteras missed a couple of golden chances.

The need to tighten up at the back has been noticeable for large proportions of this season and tonight’s defensive performance will not make Pochettino (or the supporters) feel 100% comfortable heading into Sunday’s game against a seemingly revitalised Newcastle side.

Glimpses of genius

Every genius has flaws, and boy does Erik Lamela have his flaws. BUT, at 22 years of age and after an injury ravaged spell at White Hart Lane thus far, our Argentinean star has all the ability to become a top class player.

We could talk all night about the exquisite ‘rabona’ goal this evening, because that is the credit his strike deserves. A truly wonderful goal that will probably go down as goal of the season – we are only in October!

However, when evaluating his whole game, there is plenty to frustrate you about the left footed maestro. Silly fouls when tracking back, not releasing the ball early enough when in possession and giving away cheap passes are all things I guarantee Pochettino would’ve mentioned at half-time before praising Lamela’s extraordinary goal.

He clearly believes in his fellow Argentinean though, and I suspect the manager will get the best out of Lamela in due course. While I suspect he will, I am adamant that if he does, we have got an exceptional footballer at our disposal.

Going through the motions

Although we scored a further three goals after the interval, the second half was largely uneventful and will most likely be remembered for just the three moments. Erik Lamela’s second superb strike of the evening deserves a mention, as does Harry Kane recording his first professional hat-trick in a Spurs shirt, but the save by Hugo Lloris in the 68th minute to keep the clean sheet intact at that stage was sensational and fully warrants a footnote in any report on tonight’s match. Unfortunately for the French keeper, and our captain on the night, his red card in the final few minutes will also be discussed!

Reasons to be positive

Like most Tottenham performances this campaign, there was some bad to go along with the good. Whilst we bagged some wonderful goals in romping to a 5-1 win, and our two in the middle of the park, Dembele and Capoue, both had solid games, we still looked nervy when defending and must cut out the errors if we are to win regularly in the Premiership.

Nonetheless, an emphatic victory will do wonders for the confidence and we should go into Sunday’s game against the Geordies on an almighty high.

Mattj78 likes this.
  2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

We played well, but as you rightly say, we still look poor at the back. There was Kenny of urgency going forward and when Kane plays, he scores so for me, he had to start on Sunday. He is working hard and scoring so what more can the kid do. Give him a run in the team and keep playing two up top.

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Kane good hatrick, but Lamelas goal was special!
    He definately needs to start doing this against better sides.
    Both unquestionably need to start v Newcastle.
    In January id like to see the whole defence replaced (except Dier &Fazio) and Soldado & Adey sent packing too.

COYS!!!!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I can't stop watching lamelas goal!!! Outrageous!!! Kane should start. He has earned his chance although possibly not goalkeeper material.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  5. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Ditto and Agreed

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button