Lamela in heaven, defence in hell

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, July 25, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It may have only been a friendly but it was great to see Lamela playing with confidence and getting two goals as well.

His first season was unremarkable to say the least and he looked like a lad very short on confidence and homesick.

Father figure?

One of the reasons I was excited about Pochettino coming to Spurs was his proven ability to get the best out of players, but also the fact that he is Argentinian and could perhaps make Erik Lamela feel at home.

That arm around him and a familiar language could be just what the Doctor ordered.

Friendly

Okay, so it was only a friendly, but goals breed confidence and that is just what Lamela needs. Once he got his first, his control and demeanour were transformed and I hope he continues this into the season. He is undoubtedly a talented player and I truly believe he could prove to be a top goalscorer and legend at the Lane!!

Too much positivity

Okay, so this amount of optimism and positivity from me is too worrying, so I must return to type if I may!!!

If defending is an art, Spurs are doodling

Six goals scored in two friendlies is great. However, leaking four is not good. In fact, the defence worried me last season and in the first two friendlies, my concerns are from eased. Again today, the defence was slow, positionally inept and simply embarrassing.

The rumour of the sale of Chiriches is odd but we could really do with a top quality centre back and quick.

Dawson is someone I have admired but in the past two seasons he has become almost comical in his inability to tackle, pass and control a football.

Positive endings

Right. Negativity over. Spurs, for me have a great manager, have a good squad and I am optimistic for a decent season.

The defence MUST be sorted though.

As ever, COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

notnats likes this.
  2. gary fox Guest

Ffs! We have used our 3rd choice keeper. Our main centre back is missing. Out first choice RB has played 45 mins since coming back from 6 months injury and our first choice LB played 45 mins the day after signing. We have had two academy players at centre back in both games and they were friendlies anyway. 4 key midfield players (dembele bentaleb paulinho and sandro) are also missing. What exactly do you expect from a side that we will never field in a competitive game?

Ramos43 likes this.
  3. I have to agree, even with our first choice defence we still need another centre back. RB is covered, finally LB area looks good as well. I don't think the author is being negative but simply honest, as he said there has been plenty of positives. Lamela's goals were great but his pressing and pressure against their defence was even more positive, the boy looks hungry to prove people wrong and is fit as well!
    I am really looking forward to the season, hoping we give Poch a chance and our Club a chance of stability, a few more tweeks instead of wholesale changes and we may surprise a few people!! COYS

notnats, Ramos43 and Mattj78 like this.
  4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Great to see Lamela growing in confidence lets hope he takes this sort of performance into the league with him.
    Said this a few times now- We need a consistant solid CB pairing 2 players that complement each others style and that can string more than 2 games together, i find it strange that we got rid of Caulker and are now using Fryers as a CB even though hes a LB? Daws & Kaboul give me little confidence, i cant believe Rose & Naughton are still stealing wages, whats happening with Jan & Chiriches? And Walkers beginning to become a sick note aswell.
    Need a solid defence they dont even have to be classy just safe, some of our defending last season was humiliating to say the least.
    Work to do in this window and quickly

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Fantastic to see Erik playing with confidence he looks like he's up for it this year and definitly has something to prove after last season. Both his goals were from good buildup play and well finished. good signs. Will be interesting to see how Poch plays Lamela, behind the striker or out wide, or with him and Eriksen interchanging in a fluid top three.

Ramos43 and Mattj78 like this.
  6. Mattj78

My point is that we do need another centre back. We need strength in depth. That is all I am saying, as the blog says, I am actually optimistic about the coming season, but we do need a stronger defence.

notnats and Ramos43 like this.
  7. Cherzo Guest

Our defence was shocking last season and we havent bought any centre backs, we wont be any higher than 6th unless we do

8. Mattj78

I agree and that is my point. We have a lot of attacking players and I am truly excited about Lamela. I only really comment on what I see in pre season games as we have won every pre season game before and then had a poor season, so overall, I am not going to get too carried away with what the Percy mean, but there is no doubt that the defence was shambolic at times last season and it is an area that needs to be addressed. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen Verts and Caulker at the back, but that one has obviously gone now anyway.
    Dawson is simply not good enough, Fryers I am not sure about and Rose still looks like a heavyweight boxer rather than a premier league footballer.
    The keeper is one of the best in the business but the people in front need to improve or move on. Mind you if we win every game 3 - 2 or 4 - 3 we will most definitely be back playing the Tottenham way!!!!

9. stevethespur Active Member

Our defence totally needs sorting out. Levy is leaving Poch out to dry if he expects him to formulate a cohesive defensive unit from the players in our squad. It may be a question of funds whilst building the new stadium but its a risky strategy as best teams are always built from the back and with creativity a few clever signings would invigorate us. Coys.

10. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I agree that Lamela scoring at this stage, regardless of who it is against, can only be viewed as a positive.

The Argentine seems determined to make his presence felt this year in a spurs shirt and a couple of early goals will do wonders in strengthening his belief that this will be his breakthrough season in England. However, as he is well aware, this is ONLY the beginning.

I also agree that it is difficult to take TOO much away from pre-season friendlies, especially the first few which are merely glorified training sessions.

This CLEARLY won't be the team/squad that Spurs begin the season, or indeed end August, with. So looking too deeply into personnel or score-lines, although fun, probably won't be very insightful with regards to what happens come August 16th.

It's fair enough to say, though, that if Dawson is hoping to impress his new manager during this part of the season, he is going to have to up his game, considerably!

PLENTY of positives. PLENTY still to work on, would be how I would (and was always likely to) describe things at this stage.

I think Capoue would have impressed Pochettino so far, with his ability not only to break up attacks, but his movement OFF the ball (whilst the team is in possession), as well, as his capacity to play the ball quickly, and effectively, between the lines.

Now, I am NOT one of those whose believe that Sandro can't play football, and is simply a destroyer of the game, but there is no questioning that Etienne is the more cultured of the two on the ball.

He actually shares similar traits to the player Pochettino wants to sign, Morgan Schneirderlin, so it will be interesting if the manager decides to continue with his pursuit of his former player.

Now, people KEEP harping on about the state of the Spurs defence last season, but they forget to mention that the team played for the majority of the last campaign:

• Without a orthodox DM.
    • Without a settled back 4 ( with the first/second choice LB, CB's and RB all missing a SIGNIFICANT amount of game time, through injury, at some stage, last season.
    Actually, if memory serves me correctly, up until the West Ham game, at home, last year (perhaps, even the Man City game) Spurs were amongst the best defensive records in the league. So, I'm NOT buying all this talk that Spurs 'need' another CB, although a replacement for Dawson (ideally) would be nice.

I thought Naughton had a VERY good game against Toronto. Composed, calm and constructive (on the ball), Kyle did a good job of maintaining possession and instigating attacks.

Another player who really stood out, for me, was Aaron Lennon, who I thought was OUTSTANDING playing in a fluid, and interchangeable, 3 behind the frontman.

MOM, in my opinion, Lennon was the the epitome of guile and intelligence, using his pace, not to beat his man, but to continuously move into space that would allow him to receive a pass. Toronto struggled to cope with Aaron's clever movement throughout the first half, and his use of the ball oozed maturity and class.

I have ALWAYS thought that Lennon's talents were minimised simply stuck out on the right-wing, so it's great for me (and for Aaron I think) to have a manager who allows his players freedom in their movements (especially in the attacking third).

Lets be fair, playing teams in the MLS, while their still halfway through a season, is always going to a bit of a hiding to nothing. Although some of them will see the game as an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window and test themselves against the EPL's elite, I can't help but think that others just see the games as a hindrance.

I mean, is any manager who has ambitions of winning the MLS really going to instruct his team to do anything other than go through the motions in a game which has little significance for them?

Like I said, I wouldn't take too much from any of these friendlies, at the moment. And with the manager still have to train (in terms of fitness/philosophy) and integrate 7 'new' players into the side, even games against Celtic and Schalke are going to be more about drilling home playing style/patterns, team structure and gaining additional match fitness/sharpness.

Mattj78 and notnats like this.
  11. stevethespur Active Member

God. What you been smoking Ramos ! If you think our defence is good enough to face the likes of chelski, man city, l'pool, man u, and the nomads your in dire need of a reality check. For all that waffle you cant hide the truth that we need defenders that can defend when required. The defensive record you mentioned from the beginning of last season came at the cost of scoring only nine goals i believe. Who the hell were yoiu watching ! Coys.

Ramos43 likes this.
  12. notnats

This year the pre season is a good opportunity for regular and squad players to impress the new boss. So far theyve looked good at times moving the ball quickly with some neat passing, both games thus far have been a lot of fun and good to watch. They look like they are enjoying the boss's style and keen to adapt. All goals from open play have come from good team understanding and buildup. I know its only pre season but some good signs and after all new season kicks off in less than four weeks. I remember watching AVBs first pre season where the team looked utterly clueless at times. However, some concerns in defence, Daws needs replacing, Fryers is not a CB, and **** knows whats going on with Vlad. Kaboul and Jan will be our CB pairing this year but how long will that last? we dont need more CMs ffs, we dont need realy need LWs. We need a decent CB.

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. Mattj78

Agree that Lennon looked superb and also think he could be dynamite playing in a free role. We know that his crossing sometimes leaves much to be desired, but when he does float, he often slips in some good passes and maybe now is the time for his transition to be completed. In fact, what it proves is that Pochettino is very astute and knows where players can be at their best.
    We have got an intelligent, thorough manager and even with the same players as last year, I believe we will be watching a very different team though s season.

Ramos43 likes this.
  14. notnats

It could be a season of reinvention for Lennon, ive never thought him an out and out winger, I thought he was put out there because he had pace and particularly when he was young he was a bit lightweight in defence. In the last few years ive seen him as an ideal impact sub to come on and run at the defence in a free(er) role. Anyway he had a good game. What stood out for me was the understanding from the fowards, they worked very well together not to mention some very unselfish, intelligent play that resulted in team goals. Looking foward to tomorrows game ( tomorrow from down here ) hoping to see another good game.

Ramos43 and Mattj78 like this.
  15. big fran Guest

Watched the highlights and to me Lamela looks a lot physically stronger than last term and a summer break for him to assess how he needs to adapt for the rigours of the EPL after a season under his belt may do him the world of good. As it may also for chiriches who suffered a similar story last year and like lamela hampered by injuries and so feel it would be a mistake. I could only see him leaving as a makeweight for benatia
    Given his roma connection. I wouldn't be against moving Dawson
    and signing a young centre half in stones or lascelles and also promoting veljkovic to first team duties as if were realistic this is the reason poch was brought in given what he did for the kids at soton. Added to that I would like Fredericks and fryers to be promoted to first choice deputy's in their respective full back berths .

Ramos43 likes this.
  16. stevethespur Active Member

Cant wait for the new season now. Looking at how Poch sets up a team in the Bielsa school of footie i think our starting eleven will be Loris / Davies Verts Vlad Walker/ Dembele Bentuleb/ Lamela Eriiksen Chadli/ Soldado. Playing a high line high pressing game that i hope the guys are fit and willing for. If Vlad goes i expect a good Vlaar like stopper to join the squad. Coys.

Ramos43 likes this.
  17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Stevethespur - Waffle? Well, aren't you a charmer, Steven! Lol

Listen, the point that I am making, my friend, and that I have made a THOUSAND times, is Spurs have enough quality in the back 4/5 to do MUCH better than they did at times last season, leading me to believe that the defensive issues Spurs faced, were mainly due to flaws in the teams balance, structure and organisation.

Now, Spurs can get away with shortcomings in these areas against the majority of sides in the EPL providing a few of the more attack-minded players are on form/song, but against the better sides in the division you get found out.

I mean, is Crystal Palaces (under Pulis) defence really better than Spurs' man for man? Yet they actually had a better defensive record than Tottenham last term.

Look at Everton, 3rd best defensive record in the league, last season, and yet individually only ,perhaps, their full-backs from the back 5 (including the goalkeeper) would come close to interesting any of the top sides in the league (as far as 1st team roles are concerned). Why is that?

I'll tell ya why, should I? Because, as a COLLECTIVE UNIT, they were superior to Spurs (and others, to be fair) in each of those departments I highlighted before. They had more balance. A better structure. And were well organised. It's as simple as that Steve.

And although the players are responsible for the display, to a large extent, once they cross that white line, the manager is the one that:

• sets them up.
    • gives them individual roles within the side to maximise their abilities, as well as benefit the team.
    • instils the players with confidence (through a number of different means)i.e. results, team-talks, team selection, tactical decisions, track record etc.
    • provides his team with a CLEAR strategy from which to use.

The biggest problem with Spurs last season was on too many occasions last season the managers failed to assist his team/players in a number of those areas. In fact, at times the managers seemed intent on working AGAINST the team with some of their decisions.

And as far as Spurs' good early season defensive record coming at the expense of goals, well, I'm afraid to say, that is COMPLETE and UTTER TOSH!!!

I remember Spurs creating good chances in matches vs Swansea (Home), Norwich (home) Chelsea (home), Arsenal (away) and Cardiff (away) ,to name several examples of games where Spurs DID create opportunities.

The problem was often not taking those chances, with a large number of opportunities falling at the feet of the erratic Paulinho. It's no exaggeration to say that Paulinho could have scored between 15-20 EPL goals had he been the Frank Lampard replica many believed him to be.

Anyway, bad finishing and a lack of an EARLY goal, especially against lower/mid ranked teams, usually meant that the games Spurs played in were/appeared tight/edgy.

Add that to a lack of consistency in the teams tempo, movement and width, and Spurs became easy/easier to defend against. The team became one dimensional, ponderous and predictable.

It had nothing to do with being defensively efficient at that stage of the season, and EVERYTHING to do with the teams balance, structure and organisation.;)

Last edited: July 27, 2014
    notnats likes this.
  18. big fran Guest

Sure the club are working hard to bring in at least one quality centre half and perhaps a good young one... What will that leave us with france's captain in goal England's probable next choice right bk, Jan on a new deal who is without world class when he's made the lynchpin and a promising left bk who is climatised to the EPL already. Allied with kaboul and chiriches able understudies and veljkovic who poch seems to fancy already. In front of that quality holding MIDs in
    Sandro capoue and dembele. I'm with Ramos on this one. Clean sheets needn't be a prob if the side is set up right and the front men take the pressure off by doing what they were paid to do. Remy is a must signing for me now at that price whether we were first choice or not!

Ramos43 likes this.
  19. stevethespur Active Member

My dear Ramos. You miss the point. The 4/5 defenders we have aren't good enough to compete at the top level. I wish we had Evertons Coleman and Baines to call on as our full backs. I hope that Pochetinno can revolutionise the way we play tactically but he needs the personnel to do that so dont be afraid of change and transition but embrass it and support Poch in the task he has to do. Coys.

notnats and Ramos43 like this.
  20. notnats

Some good points being made about the current defence, I also agree that the team and particularly the defence was badly let down by poor management and I also believe that Poch can make a difference. For me the most obvious set up in defence will be Walker, Kaboul, Jan, Davies. A very decent back four, and can they improve from last year under the new manager, yes. However thats not enough and we will be seriously punished if we dont get in reinforcements and quality backups in those areas. Good coaching and management will improve the balance of play but injuries are unpredictable and often unavoidable, anyway it may come down to logistics if Daws goes, good Spurs man but every player has to know when his time at a club is up. It also sounds like Vlads time might be up, not sure whats going on there, maybe he's still eyeing off his dream move to Chelsea or Roma. Reports of him not being part of MPs plan are interesting. So we have some decent defenders but we need a few more. Good news for Jan, a healthy pay rise might even put a smile on his face.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button