Lamela and Jansen Shine as Wanyama Bags the Points

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, August 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

The game today panned out pretty much as my match preview said it would! Jansen started , but it was not Eriksen as I had thought who dropped out, but Dele Alli. In some way , that was a sensible decision by the manager as Dele had looked short on fitness and maybe even confidence at Everton after the struggles of the Euro's.

Spurs started much brighter today and it was hard to even know how we went in at 0-0 in the first half. Hennessy in the Palace goal seemed to be made out of bricks as everything that flew at him hit him, he saved or blocked.
    You could see the relief in Pardew's face when the half time whistle came. He could regroup and try and get his team to start playing football.

In the second half, Spurs did get lazy at times and gave the ball away far too much. Poch was getting frustrated on the touch line and his players knew it.
    Lamela took the game by the scruff of the neck and as last week was superb. He was strong on the ball and some of his skills were a joy to watch and the Spurs faithful loved it when he nutmegged An Dross at the end of the game.

Kane worked hard but it was Jansen who rally impressed this afternoon. His strength and vision are just what we have been lacking at times and he is going to help Spurs make the next step this season.
    He takes players out of the game and not only am I confident that he will get goals, I also think he will create a lot too. Add that to Dele chipping in with a few, Eriksen and of course today, Wanyama.

I thought Wanyama was excellent at Goodison Park and today in his home debut was a tower of strength. And he will get goals for us which is a bonus. The winner today was hardly anything special but he headed home from close range and Spurs took away all of the points and deservedly so.

The back four was rarely troubled and when Palace did make inroads, they were quickly cut off with shots blocked and Vorm had a fairly quite afternoon.

I've studied the early responses on social media and in the main, I think most have seen that this was a good, solid win.
    The odd person has posted that we missed too many chances but I think that is harsh on the Palace keeper.

Sadly, I was right about Townsend. He must be so frustrating for a manager. He does have skill and talent but he is so easy to play against. He cut in time and time again today, hit a defender and fell over. I can't understand why he doesn't vary his game. You know what he is going to do every time he has the ball.
    He will get the odd goal, but today proved that he is a player Spurs did well to move on.

Lamela continues to blossom in all aspects of his game, the defence again looks solid, the midfield is full of power and talent and Jansen looks a great signing.

Of course there is work to be done, and it will be done.

3 deserved points and plenty to be optimistic about.

As ever ! Come on You Spurs!!!!!!

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

3 points is a start and on the balance of things deserved.
    Kane looked better, Wanyama, Walker and Janssen looked good.
    Rest of the side so so.

Looked for a while we'd slipped into ponderous mode and could see a draw being the out come but for some awful marking from the late corner by Palace.

Lamela skilling up Townsend was the highlight of the day for me.

Must create more and be more clinical.

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Mattj78

Certainly need to be more clinical but these are games we need to win and we did.

Nomadico and STEVENFROMITALY like this.
  4. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

If we'd taken our chances today we'd have won this 4/5-0. Good display, great win.

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Jason Guest

not that great from my view,palace are relegation material and we scraped a win at home,lamela keeps cutting in all the time and needs to mix it up abit running to the byeline,wouldn't say he was that good in this game or at Goodison likewise erikson,victor was good today was poor last week at Goodison,the team will transform when dembele is back,need to be more clinical Infront of goal a few were hit str8 at the keeper

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. STEVENFROMITALY Member

You are right Mattj! Today was important win. It is natural that we must grow like team...win the the match helps us in this direction! As ever COYS!

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Mattj78

Scraped? The 1-0 suggests that but we far from scraped this win. We were dominant, yes we became lax at times but overall we much the better team.
    We can't beat everyone 3 or 4 nil. Burnley are relegation fodder yet they beat Liverpool 2-0 today when some on here last week were saying we are miles behind Liverpool!!

I've always said I'm pessimistic and cynical about Spurs but for goodness sake we have every chance of being in the top 3 again this season.

Nomadico likes this.
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

3 points and won't complain.

A better start this season to date chaps and take a look at the shower down the road; 1 point from 6 :)

I continually state we need to be more ruthless in front of goal and I do believe that will come - it will have to against the better teams, especially in the CL.

Victor and Janssen looking like decent signings. We will be firing on all cylinders when Mousa and Hugo return.

Bring it on! COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Mattj78

I think we have goals all over the pitch this season.
    Alderweireld, Wanyama, Janssen, Kane, Lamela, Delle, Moussa, Eriksen. We started slowly last season and already we are doing better this. Once we click, we have a very exciting season ahead of us.

Come on you Spurs!!

Nomadico likes this.
  10. Nomadico Well-Known Member

It was a shock to see Ali on the bench,it would have been better to have Eriksen instead,now post match Poch speaks of illness for Ali and that was the reason for benching him,however for our next match against Liverpool Eriksen must be benched, his form of late has been very poor,and with Dembele soon to be back we will have a problem to have Janssen together with Kane so for me a period on the bench would be a great help to get his form back,apart from him the rest of the team played well and put a good shift in, the first big test will be Liverpool next week,after there showing today the defence is weak,play like today and we will take them,another 3 points..COYS

Jonesy likes this.
  11. Big fran Guest

Listening to talk sport other night Andy Goldstein were saying spurs had stood still with our signings this year. Two squad players he said. Both were quality today although I fear Vinny needs to get the monkey off his back otherwise could be another rebrov,Pavlychenko or soldado. Early goal is always key. Fear for dier and alli if we play two up top as I stated in the last article.

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I like a bit of Goldstein and Moon Face but man he is way off the mark with his assessment.

Janssen won't be like Rebrov, Pav and Soldado - he is a different player altogether. More akin to a young VdV IMO; he will contribute with some important goals and assists this season, believe and keep the faith!

A win against Pool will be important for the momentum.

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  13. Big fran Guest

I was in particular very concerned at the lack of options on the bench to change the game at nil nil..
    Mason Carroll onomah and indeed alli are all central MIDs really. This was evident in how late the sub's actually came about. If Jansen and Kane are to start regular then I would say another forward is necessary along with a versatile winger. Dembele was a big miss again yesterday.
    If chadli and bentaleb yedlin can be moved on the 20-25m could be reinvested.
    Jay Rodriguez was again left out for saints yesterday and worked well previously for Poch netting 20 goals from a wide left berth. Works hard and very pacy.

Felon82 likes this.
  14. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Yes, we scraped the win. but not because we weren't dominant, we were at times. Spurs lack finish. Should Janssen has scored on that breakaway of his, I would agree he's been a nice compliment to Kane. I hope he is, but have to wait and see whether he can reliably finish in PL.
    Poch did away with inversed wingers, with was an another indication of Spurs tactical maturity. Yet, although Lamela was fine, playing Eriksen on the right looked silly. I think the wide MF is a must buy this window.
    If Eagles continue to work the way they did against Spurs, they are mid table team by season end. So will be Spurs, if they continue having problems finishing.

Last edited: August 22, 2016
  15. guesty Guest

good important win. we looked solid enough against a Palace team who are probably lower half material. we need find the 'click' that will get the ball in the net. ...as noted above we have plenty of goal scorers in the team. (if we'd scored our chances against Everton we would have won the game). Janssen should have scored his chance......with Alli playing him in superbly (that lad really is a talent).
    I think Janssen brings lots to the team. his overall desire is huge. he isn't one to hang around waiting to be given the ball. he chases and puts defenders under pressure. you can see why Pochy bought him in. if he can occupy at least one defender...that gives Kane a bit more space.
    But I wonder if Pochy will play 2 up top at home and 1 up top away from home....so either Kane or Janssen replaced by Alli?? ....and I wonder if Dembele will come back in for Wanyama?? ....or will Pochy opt for 433 with Dier, Dembele & Wanyama....with 3 purely attacking ahead....we shall see....but the options are there now.

overall...2 games in and we are off and running pretty well

COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  16. Nomadico Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what formation Poch opts for,last season he was so limited the other teams could read our tactics without any problem,now he has a number of options to use,I still think we need a wide man to finish the team,other than that I think we are well set for a good season.COYS.

Mattj78 likes this.
  17. Mattj78

A wide man would complete the squad nicely. Whether N'Jie can do that I'm not sure. He didn't get much game time before injury last season but when he did get a chance I wasn't impressed at all.
    I'm not sure if N Koudou would be any better to be honest.

18. Nomadico Well-Known Member

With this on going saga with Koudou Mattj, I think it is time to look else where before we run out of time,like you I do not rate N'Jie but we do need a wide man...COYS

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  19. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Is there any one else who is concerned that we are selling to many players before getting replacements in ??If the reports are true tonight Yedlin,Mason,are off,plus we have Chadli,Bentaleb,on the market our entire bench has gone so we fill it with the kids!!! I agree we need to shift some out but first get the new player's in,if Levy waits until the last hour of the window he will buy dross at cheap prices killing our season before it even starts,he has the chance to move this club forward but will blow it for a profit..COYS..

20. Big fran Guest

I'm very concerned also.. Squad players are necessary for training purposes and also to play cup games etc and cover injury crisis'.
    One would hope the money is reinvested in two big signings. I'd expect if mason and bentaleb go then a centre mid would be brought in such as witsel. Winks for my money would not be ready to play a major role as yet nor would onomah and Edwards.

Nomadico likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button