It's in the Qarabag!!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, November 26, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

You certainly can't accuse Pochettino and Spurs of not taking the Europa league seriously. There were more than a few raised eyebrows at just how strong the Spurs line up was, but I have to say I wasn't one of them.
    Of course there are risks when you have a massive game against Chelsea coming up on Sunday, but this is no normal Spurs team. The players are immensely fit and it showed tonight.

Spurs started the game slowly. Plenty of possession without getting too far behind the Qarabag defence. Tripper started poorly and looked extremely low on confidence with a poor first touch and wayward balls. However, he did grow in confidence and got forward well down the right and after 15 minutes pulled the ball back to Alli who mistimed his shot and hit wide of the post.

It was 28 minutes before Lloris even needed to warm his gloves as he easily collected a shot at the near post. Spurs first shot on target was not until the 34 minute mark when Toby shot from distance but the shot lacked power and it was another simple save for the keeper.

The scores were still level at half time which considering the home team hadn't conceded a home goal in Europe for over 7 years was hardly surprising.
    No changes were made at the break but Spurs started with a bit more life. After 60 minutes, the home side broke away but the threat was quickly nullified by the excellent Alderweireld.

The game suddenly opened up and there were breaks at both ends but with little end product although Kane went close hitting the side netting from a very tight angle.

In the 63rd minute, Son showed great feet as he had done for much of the game and hit a shot from the edge of the box, only for the keeper to superbly tip the ball onto the cross bar. This sparked a series of Tottenham corners but still the deadlock was not broken.

Mason had looked rusty and some of his passing was poor which is a cause for concern ahead of Sunday's game and he was replaced on 72 minute by Tom Carroll who actually gave Spurs some freshness and added impetus.

He won the ball back, the ball eventually came to Toby who played in a wonderful ball which Alli met and hit first time, only to see his shot come back off the post. Spurs suddenly sniffed the win and after Eriksen forced another good save from the keeper, he popped over to the left side, whipped in a corner which Son flicked on and Kane crept in to nod home for his 9th goal in 6 games. One season wonder?? I think not!!!

Some will no doubt question the sense in playing so many first teamers ahead of Sunday's game, but as I said at the start, Pochettino sees this as a genuine trophy hunt and he knows just how fit this squad of players are.

Now, were Spurs to lose on Sunday, no doubt some ( very naive ) fans will turn on him, but I don't think this Spurs team is one that will use any excuses. The squad is fit, the players are full of confidence and whilst we weren't at full tilt tonight, what we showed was how we can up the tempo when we need to and that is a great asset to have.

Toby and Jan were exceptional tonight and the way Jan came out of defence with skill and strength was superb at times. Kane's link up play gets better and he is fast becoming the complete striker.

Davies did well overall. Not outstanding but he got forward well and made some decent interception. Tripper tried hard and grew as the game went on. Eriksen controlled the play well and Son excites me. 2 footed and skilful and a real handful.

At the end of the day, it's job done, we are in the last 32, we can rest players against Monaco but now focus turns to a mid day kick off against Chelsea. A game that I believe we can and indeed will win. It will certainly show just how good this Spurs team is becoming.

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!!!!!

Spurporter likes this.
  2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Chelsea will be a difficult game, let's not kid ourselves. They've been unlucky, yeah we have the quality to win but so do they. Again, group has done us very few favours, but we'll see some fringe players against Monaco now, and it won't matter should we win on Sunday. My fears are this might bite us on the arse towards the end of the season.

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Chelsea have been unlucky? They've been bloody awful mate.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Job done, Bring on the Chavs !

Mattj78 likes this.
  5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Very well written summary of the match. I'd add a few words about Dier. Eric was the reason for Trippier to feel confident. Very mature DMF performance was displayed.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Dace Member

Good read.
    Thought we played within ourselves.
    Very much like a training match.
    The 'new' Tottenham seem to be able to stamp their vision on the game and play it how they wish.

7. big fran Guest

Looking forward to seeing one or two of the Young players v Monaco now!!

8. guesty Guest

Chelsea is always a tough game....playing on Thursday...yes miles away....won't impact on Sunday.
    'IF' we don't get the result I won't be blaming yesterdays game.
    we are a good team and Chelsea will have to play really well to beat us.

bruski likes this.
  9. bruski

bruski Active Member

Yep guesty. Many miles travelled but it was a game of medium tempo and we should have suffered no side effects physically. In my humble opinion too much is made of the Thursday, Sunday scenario. I think over analysing it can fool players into to thinking they are tired. Todays modern and sophisticated training techniques and dietary science should allow players to play within the time window.
    Thought we 'did a job' last night. We've seen the most successful teams over the years doing just that, so maybe now it's our turn.
    Go Poch. COYS!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button