Inconsistent and a calamity - but still the man to replace Naughton

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, November 28, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    One nil to the Tottenham last night brought about more praise and, of course, more condemnation. But there was also a welcome return for a familiar discussion – the enigma that is Kyle Naughton at right back.

Other than his impromptu ‘selfie’ with one of last night’s pitch invaders, Naughton’s performance was very much underwhelming for a lot of those watching the game. Naughton, last night, had been accused of returning back to his ‘former-self’, as if to suggest the 26-year-old had once shown quality that has never been recaptured.

Despite small improvements shown by the ex-blade under Pochettino, his place in the starting XI should be under close scrutiny. But with Kyle Walker rooted to the injury table and Eric Dier not as convincing at right-back, Naughton still seems to squirm into a starting spot.

So who should Pochettino look to in Walker’s absence, as well as Dier and Naughton’s inconsistency? Step forward Vlad Chiriches!

The Kyle Naughton complex

It’s fair to say that the quality of Kyle Naughton has been closely scrutinised since his arrival at the club, where there has always been a permanent belief that Naughton is not good enough to play for our club. At 26, he is no longer a hot-prospect or someone who requires time to learn and this, for us, should be alarming.

Managers have come and gone, yet Naughton always seem to figure for Spurs – either as a player on the periphery or as a first team regular. In a strange set of events, there hasn’t been a case, like Naughton’s, that I can remember in recent history at our club. Whereby a player who lacks the necessary skill, plays due to another’s (Walkers’) injury, but is never shipped out due to his importance in covering for this same player’s injury.

It is only now, that in signing DeAndre Yedlin we have bought someone who will challenge Naughton for a spot that has only been cemented by the injury-ravaged Walker in recent years. Although, with doubts as to whether Yedlin is able to swap Seattle for Spurs in January just yet, and the Daily Mirror reporting that we are in for Ajax’s Ricardo van Rhijn, nothing is guaranteed in relation to our right-back slot.

Romanian rogue in centre, but perfect for Poch on the right

Today, the Evening Standard has linked Chiriches with a loan move to Roma in January, while the Romanian has also been spoke of in connection with Inter and even Arsenal. Regardless of what has been said in print, recent weeks should provide our number six with a glimmer of hope.

Prior to the Partizan game, Pochettino had spoken of his pleasure at Chiriches’ (as well as Lennon and Paulinho’s) attitude when coming on against Hull – a game in which he came on at right back. But this is not just a case of attitude as to why we should play musical chairs with Vlad within our back four.

At centre-back, Chiriches has been culpable for errors; not just the odd misplaced pass – but horrific, Titus Bramble-esque errors. He is not the tallest or strongest (two essential qualities) and his tendency to take risks when in possession more often than not leave him red faced. However, there are without doubt real positives to his game. For a defender, Vlad is very composed on the ball and possesses both the ability and confidence to travel upfield in the face of challenges. This is the main reason as to why I feel he would fit in perfectly at right back.

Pochettino’s teams rely on his wingbacks bombing forward to support his team’s attack – you only have to look at how instrumental Luke Shaw and Nathaniel Clyne were for his Southampton side to understand this. When we have Naughton in our side, his lack of inventiveness on the ball and his frequency in receiving the ball and passing whilst remaining static, both slows down our momentum and allows the opposition to regroup into their defensive shape.

There are still, of course, concerns about Vlad’s defensive qualities, but at right back your main responsibility when defending is to stop your opposite winger from getting the ball into the box. In comparison, at centre-back you need to combine leadership, shape, discipline with a nasty-nature; all qualities that have been lacking in his game.

A short-term fix as we can’t be naive

Those against Chiriches coming in at right-back will argue that Yedlin, who is rumoured to be making an early switch in January, will the obvious replacement for Naughton.

Yedlin has already expressed his excitement at signing for Spurs in a recent interview with Copa 90, saying: “It’s a dream come true. It sends chills down my back seeing what the supporters are like [at WHL]. I’ve been made aware via twitter messages about the team that I’m not supposed to like [Arsenal] and the game [the NLD] is definitely one I’m looking forward to.”

Although promising, it is extremely naive to suggest that Yedlin will come in and set the PL alight from the word go. You only have to look at Eric Dier’s topsy-turvy intro at Spurs, to understand how difficult it is for a 21-year-old to learn and apply his trade in one of the most demanding leagues in world football.

Of course, I am not doubting Yedlin’s ability in the long run, but merely suggesting that Chiriches, for all his calamities and lapses in concentration, would be a decent short-term fix in replace of Naughton.

2. Gordon Guest

How much longer does Walker need to get over a hernia. Anyone before Naughton

3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Naughton is appalling. The ball bounces off his legs like they are pinball flippers.

Last edited: November 29, 2014
  4. topspur Guest

I still can't believe naught on where's the shirt
    warnock wouldn't play him at palace to rassss

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We have THE most defenders i can ever remember at the club at 1 time, and the reality is theres only 2 that are genuinely any good.
    Kyle Naughton is an utter embarrassment whos not even good enough to play as a reserve RB for the reserves.
    Its an utter shower and an insult to us the paying fans fielding such substandard players, if i wanted to watch Sunday league standard id go down the local rec.
    Add Kaboul, Rose, Chiriches, Davies to that list also all POOR and substandard.
    Fazio (foreign Daws) is a down grade, Dier not being played in his position (already looking dejected) is way off a finished article, Super Jan the Super Sulk and Kyle sick note Walker and there you have it an utter shambolic defence with more errors in it than a 5 yr olds homework.
    We are supposed to be an established top 6 team yet we have a defence thats worse than some Championship sides its not good enough from the club constantly choosing the cheap option or the 'prospect' over genuine solidarity at the back.
    You only have to look at our only world class players face when he has to pick the ball out the net what he thinks of his 'Defence' such a shame because you can almost gaurantee hel be out the door before these wage thieves and that is whats wrong with the set up at Spurs.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. George New Member

I couldnt agree more with you. He was living under the shadow of Walker and now that he has the opportunity he doesnt deliver. Funny enough i would prefer Chiriches over him until Walker comes back (i reckon with the new year because he will play him at cups and Europa so he can be game fit). I think with Walker and Yedlin, when eventually joins the club, we will have a fantastic right side from the back all the way to the flank! If the practice there crosses of course :)

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Naugton isn't that bad. Perhaps if people got off his back and gave him encouragement instead we might see a better more confident player. It has always annoyed me when fans barrack players during a match. Do it to the opposition, but not your own players. Get behind them, lift them! I would hate it if it was aimed at me and I'm sure most of the people slagging him off would too. We all have a right to our opinions, however try a bit of carrot and use less stick. Oh and yes, try Chiriches at right back, not just against Everton.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button