In the past we would have lost again, but this Spurs team is different

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 16, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

The step up may be a big one but in respons to that I have 2 words: Dele Alli

Jonesy likes this.
  2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

If we don't get a striker, which I have a feeling we won't, Poch will just have alter his tactics. He will need to play Son more and allow him to show just how good he is. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised.
    As for N'Jie, I have only seen him a few times but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is any good. When he has played, his ball control, passing and all round play has been poor. Once fit maybe we will see what he is made of but I don't see him as any sort of competition or back up for Kane. Or Son for that matter.

Bazza47 likes this.
  3. Lee2 Guest

My reading of oduwa loan at rangers being ended means no striker for us this window?

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Lee2 Guest

Yeah I think son needs a run to show what he can do. I saw njie against Monaco and thought he did okay, worked hard in tracking back but remain to be convinced about his finishing or attacking threat up front.

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  5. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I think Son,is the key to unlock our lack of a striker he can play behind Kane and alone up top if needed he has a eye for goal and has a good passing range,he just need,s more game time not 10 min sub play,Like you Matt I rate Son but not so sure of Clint I hope I'm wrong..COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I cant believe what im reading here, how can anyone (fan/coach/manager/chairman of a regular top 6 side in the proffessional elite league of their country) make excuses for seeing out the rest of the season with only 1 actuall proper Striker on the books?
    Trying to justify it with players that have thus far proven they do not have the ability to lead the line and score the amount of goals needed to keep us competitive?
    There is simply no decent excuse for it other than neglegence.

Just think about it, as crazy as it sounds- Kane gets injured........

Jonesy likes this.
  7. Big fran Guest

I'll tell u exactly what will happen if another striker. 1) Kane will play pretty much every game of the season remaining and more than likely burn out his decreasing running stats will show that.
    2) If he gets injured then Son(struggling to adapt thus far) Chadli and Maybe Lamela will get a crack at CF and not score at the rate of a natural forward should do and then it will be a case of ''**** me we ain't got a forward on the books and are Harry's not fit.
    Then everyone goes why didn't levy buy us a striker in Jan should have got that overpriced fella from west from for 25m and banging the goals in for Newcastle/Chelsea...
    To the ones who doubt berahino I ask this- your MP and you have 25m to spend and you want a striker with the following criteria
    - Prem proven
    -can play various attacking roles
    -young(under 25 say) to fit the clubs signing policy
    - is likely to improve with the help of the guidance of Mopo and his staff
    -not likely to break the club's wage structure.

8. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Felon, those weasily words used by Poch at the weekend felt to me like, shock horror, no new striker....don't place any bets..sad but true ...possibly

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  9. Bazza47

Thoughts....now for something completely different...Lamela..

For me he just doesn't do what an 11 should do....create chances and score some goals..I'm reminded of the opening in the first half against Leicester..a cross from the left low, for HK to tap in and he hammers it too hard and too high, opportunity lost, initiative lost, three points went abegging at that very moment for me....

Views?

Felon82 likes this.
  10. Big fran Guest

I've preferred seeing him on the left tbh think when he plays on the right its been all predictable keep coming in on his left due to being extremely one footed. But for me wingers should be weighing in with at least 12-15 goals a season which is around 1 in 4. Get two wingers like that and a CF with 20+ u cracked it. Mahrez has that already. Lamela nowhere near but I like him and would persevere with him.

11. Chris #2 Guest

Completely agree. That being said, he does put in a good work effort in every game. But at the position he is playing, that just isnt enough really. It seems to me that his decision-making is too slow at times (during counter-attacks especially). Also, he is very one-legged, which I think all teams are aware of by now. All in all, I still think his place in the starting eleven is justified. I think we would see Son or Chadli in the starting 11 if they had impressed during training.

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Def persevere with Pamela; he has improved this season but we need to mix things up when he is struggling to influence the game. I agree with the comment above, he can become very predictable when he plays on the right. More goals needed Erik! All that said, his work rate has been great this year.

It is pleasing to see the whole squad commit to the cause and put a shift in - I can't ask more than that.

Keep the faith with the window lads, a striker will land... If not, Levy should be held under commercial arrest!

Nomadico and Felon82 like this.
  13. Big Fran Guest

I'd personally like to see a more adventurous line up with Son from the right lamela left and eriksen in his preferred no 10 role. Obviously that would leave alli moose and dier scrapping out for the 2 slots in midfield but at home do we really need to holding? Surely alli could partner one of the other two! Away from home or v top opposition then by all means then play them both holding leaving a choice between alli and eriksen for the no 10. Just a thought to maybe turn these draws into wins.

Bazza47 likes this.
  14. Bazza47

To be fair Jonesy work rate for a forward is just not good enough for me...I liked his improvement, but we need second tier goal scorers to start finding the back of the net....and soon...Eriksen, Lamela, Son, Chadli.....need at least twenty goals from these in the last 16....not too much to ask is it....

Nomadico and Jonesy like this.
  15. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Very fair Bazza and a reasonable expectation. No use running and running, then subsequently failing to put it in the onion bag - sounds familiar of late ;-)

Wingers should be chipping in with 8 to 10 goals per season... Get Ginola back - legend!

16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Lets face it for 30 mil Lamela is a massive let down.
    Hard work is the minimum requirement from a footballer, his work rate cant be knocked but upstairs hes a doughnut.
    Need better than him Chadli and Townsend if were to be serious .

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

LMFAO Felon - he is a "doughnut upstairs" and appears to have that rabbit in the headlights look at times. I'm desperately trying to erase that transfer fee from my memory; it helps keep my rose tinted glasses on...

£30m... Dear oh dear Mr Baldini.

Nomadico, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  18. Big Fran Guest

Let's be fair if we got £20m for two squaddies in chadli and Townsend and could test the resolve of Leicester or So'ton for mahrez or mane respectively wouldn't be the end of the world would it?
    Even Miralles who I'm a massive fan if impressed me again at the weekend.
    He works his nuts off(min requirement) quick,scores goals around 1 in 3 and covers 3 positions.

Nomadico, Jonesy and Felon82 like this.
  19. Bazza47

Thoughts....Goals...where will they come from if HK gets injured...

Less than a third of our goals have come from HK, 12 of 38, with 10 other players contributing.
    For me the key ones are Lamela and Son, given chugger Chadli hasn't featured.

Also to be noted is that we've scored 38 in 22, so 28 in the last 16 is status quo, add a couple to convert draws to wins, that's 30 goals on the run-in. If HK gets 1 in 2, that's 8, which means 22 from other sources.
    Say 4 from Erik, that leaves 18. Lamela and Son need to also deliver, say 3 each, which leaves 12 spread around Alli, Moussa and the defenders....which is probably doable at a stretch....if anything needs to be a little better than that....easy 'eh....COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  20. Bazza47

Miralles is a good call...adds to Team Belgique...

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button