I miss Gareth Bale, but Spurs don't!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, May 2, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    Tuning into Revista de la Liga or the UEFA Champions League this season has been like watching that one girl ‘who got away’ date George Clooney for Spurs fans. With the once love of our lives, Gareth Bale, partnered with Real Madrid, the Clooney of European football at present, we are left to rue ‘what could’ve been’ if Bale had stayed.

With Luis Suarez firing Liverpool into CL, and maybe even to the title, in an alternate universe, that would’ve been us if Bale had remained at WHL! If any Spurs fan were to say they didn’t miss Gareth Bale wearing our lilywhite number 11 shirt, they’d no doubt be telling porkies.

His pace, direct style of attack, stunning left-foot and slightly cringe-worthy heart celebration are all universally missed by fans of our club. With Bale the boy wonder at the Bernabéu, we are somehow only left with Dim-Tim and his God-awful gilet!

However, although I, as a fan, miss Bale just as much as you do; do Tottenham as a team miss the Welsh winger? I believe not.

We break up, we move on!
    I am not going to sit here and dispute that Bale is world-class superstar, whose influence would improve any team. To put him within the Spurs squad at present would obviously provide us with rejuvenation and increased confidence. But Bale has gone, and the new signings who are at the club were bought with his sale money. There was no scenario where likes of Chadli, Paulinho, Lamela or Soldado would be in a team with Gareth Bale – so we have to move on.

After it had been claimed that we’d “sold Elvis and bought The Beatles”, expectation was high. And when it turned out that our Beatles were performing more like One Direction this season, fans were quick to groan about our poor business in the summer.

HOWEVER, we are still on course to repeat our record points tally achieved last season in the PL. Of course, our new, marquee signings have underperformed, but yet we still find ourselves in the same position as we did a year previous, albeit with Bale out of our ranks. The only thing left for us to do now – is to look forward to next season.

Time heals all break-up wounds

Despite Bale offering a lot of excitement last season, the collected points from this season does suggest that we have indeed replaced him. Moreover, some of these signings who have been labelled ‘flops’, as well as being universally crucified by the British press, have actually shown promise.

Roberto Soldado, who we know can finish, has lacked service, confidence and even a starting place now the hurricane Harry Kane is in powerful form. Chadli has improved from once being a sluggish winger, to a man who can pop up with a goal. Paulinho or the “Brazilian Jenas” played a full season for Corinthians, before the Confederations Cup and then a full season at WHL. A box-to-box midfielder who may be suffering from tiredness? Not a good combination! And finally Lamela! If still alive the boy can hardly be determined a flop considering that he’s only played 9 games in our colours this season.

So what am I trying to say? Well, for me, there is hope for us next season, as I hold the opinion that our squad will be even more productive. No doubt there are various problems at the club, but none that critical within the squad that some would want you to believe - as overall we are managing okay!

The grass will be greener

Our team this season has had to shift from being a side thriving off the scintillating form from one of the World’s best, to 11 guys who all have to put in a shift. After our 4-0 defeat to Chelsea in March, Sandro had said - "I can't set my hands on fire for my team-mates. We have to put our hearts on the table and pull our sleeves up for the benefit of our team and ourselves."

Without wanting to refer to back to that old cliché that - ‘Rome wasn’t built in day’ to describe a Spurs in transition, the best way I can put it is, well, -Rome wasn’t built in a 38 game season.

We’ve woken up and smelt the coffee that we do not have an £86 million player in our team, but what we do have, are players who can make a team akin to an £86 million player. If we can finally bring in a Head Coach who can get the best out of these players, the name Gareth Bale of Real Madrid will slowly, but surely erase itself from mind-set of fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

If we get a chairman that stops selling our best players then your point may be valid. One day.

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We sold elvis and bought the dung beatles. Im glad our partnership with Madrid has helped them to a Champions lg final, weve done so well out of it. Us finishing another place down the league is all part of the clear master plan.

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. stevethespur Active Member

I think we miss modric as much as bale but theyve gone now and the club has to look forward. I think bale and modric are exceptional and there are no off the peg replacements for such individual talent, lets hope our present crop can step up next season. Coys

5. stu Guest

And no doubt when our new signings do step to the plate they will then be sold to Man u or Real Madrid at a profit and it'll all start over again!!!!

6. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

If we bought the Beatles we should have known that this season would be the long and winding road, maybe even a bit helter skelter at times.

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. stevethespur Active Member

Yes its hard see who can step up to the plate, maybe eriksen is the man. I had hope for dembele but he seems to have remained at a certain level and not improved he can be very frustrating as we know he could be beating players and scoring goals. Lets hope eriksen can grow even more next eason play more centrally and become the heartbeat of the team. Coys.

8. Alex in NY Guest

Tim Sherwood should be credited for this season results more than quite mediocre performers he managed. Could he's done better should he be more experienced? Absolutely. Tim's biggest issue is his absence of UEFA knowledge. EPL may be his stronger point, but Euro burden has taken Spurs down this season right at the time when effort was needed to keep them going at home.
    I think Levy will keep the squad as is over the summer, although offers for Eriksson may be very tempting and he could be willing to sell him. If he sells the best player again, then Moyes will be hired to oversee the few replacements the deal could bring in. Moyes then will keep a mediocre team afloat until new stadium with new revenues will change Levy's plans. But, as I said I think Levy will keep Sherwood and current squad intact with a few departures Tim would insist of.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button