How important is a Cup win for fans, club and players?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, January 8, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Trusting that we are all still buzzing from our undisputed bossing of the little Blue club midweek, it is now FA CUP time.

The draw has been favourable to us as we host (after some remarkable work from our very own Tim) Championship side Aston Villa.

Sadly the FA CUP isn't the spectacle it should be given its history and tradition, it could probably do with a revamp and a route into the Champions Lg (clues in the title) for the winner to add a bit of spark back into it.

I remember fondly the last time we won it in 91 as a kid on a football high from Italia 90' my Old Dear is a Tottenham Fan, Gazza was my favourite player so Spurs were the team for me.

A brilliant display in the Semi final 3-1 over the Woolwich (and that free kick) set us up with a final Vs Cloughs Forrest.

I remember final day used to be a huge event almost every TV programme would tout the build up to the kick off, everyone had an interest and picked a side they favoured. Being a kid I'd made a tin foil cup replica, had my old skool Umbro Holsten kit on and couldn't wait for kick off.

We didn't start great, Gazza flying into 2 ridiculous tackles and being stretchered off, Pearce drilled a free kick in the top corner and all seemed against us.

Lineker had a perfectly good goal chalked off side and then missed a penalty. Then Paul Stewart put through stepped up and drove home low into the far corner for the equaliser.

The game was still level after 90mins, Paul Walsh got up brilliantly to head a looping cross onto the cross bar but it stayed out.

Then it came a stroke of luck from the corner a flick on and poor Des Walker headed into his own net. 2-1 Spurs and the Cup was ours.

Thinking back it seems an age since we won it and at the time we were the record holders for winning the competition 8 times. What has happened since?

With the fall in prestige and majority of clubs seeing it as a hindrance or chance to field squad members, a club of Spurs stature and size should have done more than they have in the last 25 years.

Questions need to be asked-
    How important is a Cup win?
    Do we want Trophies as fans?
    As a Club?
    Even as Players?
    It's not beyond our Capabilities, so what needs to Change?

I'm hoping we play a strong side to hopefully do what we did Vs Watford get a lead early and then rest rotate key players.

Villa will be a more organised out fit under Bruce since they went down and are mid table in their league, dependant on how much Villa want a cup run or chance to show they are still a big club will depend on how difficult the task will be today. Even with a bit of rotation we should have enough to go through 2-0 Spurs is my prediction.

COYS!

burnt likes this.
  2. Big fran Guest

Likewise that final was one of my earliest memories as a fledgling spurs fan at 11,yrs old. Fantastic occasion and result. Remember how proud I was to learn we were the record holders. How times have changed but would still mean the world to me. I think there will be unfortunately wholesale changes but still expect a result. Could be the end for nkoudou and in particular Jansen if they don't impress today with both likely to start.
    I think it will be Vorm trippier Davies wimmer Vickers winks wanyama nkoudou son Jansen eriksen.

burnt and Felon82 like this.
  3. Cheshuntboy Guest

The decline in the status of the FA Cup since we last won it is incredible - it's even before my time, but the fuss about Stanley Matthews winning it with Blackpool in 1953 shows the prestige it used to enjoy - probably higher than the league title itself until well into the '50s - it was the undisputed highlight of the season, not the barely acknowledged afterthought that it is today. Whether we add to our eight wins largely depends on how seriously Pochettino chooses to take it - he's got a weird track record to date, with the stronger than expected lineup in the EL game against Fiorentina just before the league cup final against Chelsea in 2015 (and we lost both), and then a weakened lineup in this season's 'must win' CL game against Monaco, again just before playing Chelsea away (and we again lost both) - with such a poor cup record for such a long time, surely things can only get better (but this is Tottenham we're talking about!)?

burnt likes this.
  4. burnt Well-Known Member

Some great memories for sure but I've got to be honest neither cups do much for me anymore especially in the early stages ... If ye manage to get to Q.final / S.final stage then it gets a little interesting but up to that point I wouldn't be getting excited in anyway about domestic cup competitions ... It's a bit sad I suppose when you think about it , but that's the reality for me ... C.O.Y.S .....

5. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Whatever, we need to get this game done. Don't want a replay like Liverpool with heavy fix list. 'The Moose' needs to be on the bench to stop the rot if required. Vorm,Trippier, Wimmer, Carter-Vickers, winks, Onomah, Edwards, walker- peters, jaansen to name a few should see Villa off !

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Decent performance and Winks was great again showing he is maturing into a top player.
    Job done.

burnt likes this.
  7. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Hey, Felon82, great prediction! What an accuracy! Who will win FA Cup?
    COYS!!!!

Felon82 likes this.
  8. burnt Well-Known Member

Pretty uneventful stuff , understandable to a degree with Villa's tactics and us with so many changes but we got the job done eventually .. Good run out for the squad players , Winks looking more and more confident everytime he plays , he might be a player some day ...

One game per week for a few weeks is no harm for the squad now after the Christmas madness and we've got through it unscathed injuriewise ... Baggies up next on Sat ... Time for us to play first for a change , hopefully we take advantage of it , we won't be playing many Saturdays when Europa starts up again ... C.O.Y.S .....

Last edited: January 9, 2017
  9. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Good draw for us no travelling !

burnt likes this.
  10. burnt Well-Known Member

Perfect draw , no travelling and perfect game for squad players and young guns .. The ball is rolling well for us at the moment , long may it continue .... C.O.Y.S ....

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Spurs 2 home ties vs lower league opposition?

Somethings not right

12. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Tbh Both The Mancs and Chelsea have easy draws - even LFC if they're serious! Makes a change for us not being away to northern PL sides !

Felon82 likes this.
  13. burnt Well-Known Member

So then , Kane , Rose and Walker are off to Utd , Dembele's off to China , Ali's off to Spain and the Gaffers off to Barca ... Surely there'll be a couple more by the weekend , Levy will have the stadium paid for by the end of the month at this rate ... Oh to be a football journalist , lol , silly season is in full flow ...

Now don't get me wrong here I'm delighted nobody seems to be sniffing around Alderweireld but is it not a surprise ... In a world where everyone seems to be looking for quality center backs , especially ones who can also play a bit , he doesn't seem to get a fraction of the recognition he deserves ... I.m.o , he just might be the most underrated footballer in Europe at this min ... I'm probably a bit biased but I don't think I'd have anyone in front of him in that position ... People talk about Ramos , Pepe , Pique all the time and they win award after award but I wouldn't swap Toby for any of them .... Long may he be overlooked .... C.O.Y.S ....

Last edited: January 10, 2017
    notnats and Felon82 like this.
  14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Toby transformed our entire defence. Before he arrived it was a shambles and this was when we had 3 of the current 4 playing in it.
    Since his arrival hes brought a calming solid professional attitude to the defence he's been the lynch pin that has brought 3 talented but at the time lacking leadership or organisation on leaps and bounds.
    Walker and Rose have both grown in confidence and blossomed in their position knowing they can gamble going forward because they won't be left hung out to dry and they also know when to stay compact and work as a unit.
    Jan who always has had the ability has cut a very disinterested sulky and arrogant figure at times but has stepped up since Tobys arrival also and now performs at the level he should always have been.
    Now with a run of solidity between all of them they can even be rotated successfully thanks to the foundation laid.
    Our whole defence now you'd be pushed to find better across Europe imo which I thought at Spurs would never happen.
    I always thought Toby was a good defender but it's not until you see him live that you realise how good he really is, I remember watching an opposing break and the ball was cut across the box low n hard n while all were chaotically throwing themselves around Toby controlled n strolled out with it with out even breaking a sweat which is a reading/skill only the best defenders have and I thought at the time only other defender I've witnessed with the same ability vision was the King himself which is high company to mix in.
    It's imperative we find a forward line deserving of our defence soon, do that and we are a match for anyone and serious contenders, failure to make those few acquisitions needed could see this foundation crumble I'm afraid.

Spurporter and burnt like this.
  15. burnt Well-Known Member

Quality player for sure but also the managers input into the way this side defends shouldn't be overlooked ... Can't remember a better Spurs side out of possession and as you've mentioned above , the improvement in some of the players has been exceptional ..... Imagine what another quality striker and someone with some real magic could do to this squad .... If we could find someone to have an impact at the top end of the pitch in terms of those around him as well as his own qualities like Toby has at the back , well , it could be special ..... We live in hope .... C.O.Y.S ...

Felon82 likes this.
  16. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

..... And Defoe ISN'T that someone !!

burnt likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button