Hitting top form. PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 4-0 West Brom

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

These are the games we need to keep winning has been the call from us mere bloggers and journos alike for most of last and this season. Today we saw that Spurs are starting to hit top form and at times today they were able to play well within themselves. Some will point to West Brom being poor but to be honest Spurs were simply sensational again today at the Lane. It's like watching the push and run of Spurs of decades again and do I mind that? Do I like that to slightly paraphrase the wonderful Graham Taylor whose minutes applause was wonderfully observed by all and correctly so for a true gent of the football world.

Kane's hat trick was superb, Alli was bristling with his burgeoning talent, Rose is getting better which is frightening to consider and the entire team were absolutely terrific. But for Ben Foster, Spurs could very easily have had 9 or 10 today.

Simply Terrific Tottenham Hotspur!!!!

Lloris - 10 One of the thousands of spectators. Had to make a couple of sweeper clearances which he did well.

Walker - 10 Attacking like an exocet missile. Another brilliant performance. Class.

Rose- 10 If he isn't already, Rose must be soon to be called World Class. Surely the best left back in Europe.

Dier - 10 Looks so much more comfortable in a back three. Didn't put a foot wrong!!!

Vertonghen - 10 we all hope the injury isn't too bad but it looked a nasty twist. Prior to that was absolutely faultless.

Alderweireld- 10 Imperious. Can he be named in the same breath as Ledley King? Yes he can. His defending and range of passing is simply outstanding.

Wanyama - 10 What he brings to this team is such solidity. His power and turn of pace is such a treat. Another great game from Victor!

Dembele - 10 It must be like trying to move a mountain. Some lovely footwork as well today and looking like the beast we have come to love.

Alli - 10 So unlucky not to get the goal his performance derived today and he went nutmeg crazy again! Sensational footballer.

Eriksen - 10 The back 3 has allowed Eriksen to have so much freedom and today he was unbelievable Jeff!! Ran the show.

Kane - 10+ What can I say. But for Foster Harry would have had 6 today with no trouble at all. Hat trick hero and new dad. He really is one of our very own.

Winks - 9 Dropped 1 point just for not playing the full game.
    Son - 9 As above
    Davies -9 As above

Pochettino - 10 He deserves to have his name sung out so loudly. What he is building is a Spurs for now and for the long term future. Long may he reign over us!!!

Nothing else to say. Over to you folks!!! Enjoy the weekend and as ever Come on You Spurs!!!!!

burnt and Remy Uwilin like this.
  2. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

In total awe to see that everyone got 10 today but not against Chelsea - where we were outstanding. Yes they were solid and Brilliant V a poor WBA. That was my spurs today and V Chelsea. Like the spurs of 70s . H Kane is my Martin Chivers. If they perform like that each game we will be PL. Champs.

burnt, Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well we seem to be clicking into form at the right time.
    This was just the type of fixture that we'd usually get a no show from the team and undo the good result v chavs, but we turned up and played West Brom off the Park.
    A few weeks ago I doubted we would even make top 4 but after a few good results and performances we seem to have put ourselves into the title mix.
    It's going to be a very interesting 2nd half to the season with 6 clubs slogging it out to the end.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

An important win and throughly enjoyed that today, along with a few cheeky pints in the Bill Nich after :). About time we were clinical. Hope Jan is ok too.

I look forward to my trip to Manchester next week and a point has to be the minimum return; and, a win, well, we really are in with a shout!!!

COYS

5. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Well done Matt. It would have been wrong to score them any other way, after a truly awesome team performance. Foster was MOTM. Two of the best back to back performances at The Lane that I can remember.
    COYS

burnt and Mattj78 like this.
  6. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

How good was that fellow Yids.

A fantastic atmosphere with great support today, in recognition of a truly brilliant full court team play.

From the back to the front we were great. Power, penetration, possession, patience and lots of quality, and Pochetino.

Not shabby. Okay the other results aren't great, but you can do no better than stuff the opposition 4-0.

COYS

burnt and Mattj78 like this.
  7. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Outstanding performances from all the players, we'll definitely miss Jan; hope he has a speedy recovery and it isn't too serious. I believe Poch has finally found his best XI. The system works perfectly, and it allows us to have both Wanyama and Dier on the field together; not to mention the freedom it gives to Walker and Rose - those two were all over the field today!! I believe with this starting 11 we can match up with anybody in the prem, hopefully Wimmer will be able to step in for Vertonghen and the team won't miss a step.

The team has a maturity about them, usually these were the sort of games we'd draw or find a way to lose. Next week is a tough test, but we're definitely going in with the belief that it's for the taking!! COYS!!!

8. burnt Well-Known Member

Really impressive all round performance , might have been our most complete under Poch I.m.o .. Never been a big fan of 3 at the back but it's really suiting us at this moment .. Jan's injury looks bad , the only negative from today , I've never been his biggest fan but he's been outstanding this year , especially when we needed him most when Toby was out ... Hopefully he'll be back soon but it didn't look at all good .. Hopefully Toby & co can keep the show on the road while he,s out like Jan did while he was injured .. We,re absolutely flying at the moment and shouldnt fear anyone but it's so so tight , one minute you're flirting with getting into a title challenge , one bad result later you're hanging on for your Champs Lg spot .. Still a big job on for everyone to close the gap on Chavski , pity because there's some scramble going on behind them ... No favours for us yesterday in the other games but a very good Sunday .. Another quiet week for the squad and then a massive game next weekend against City ... They were truely awful today against Everton and if we perform like we have over last couple of weeks they'll have their work cut out to contain us , that's for sure ... I don't want to tempt faith and I don't like judging teams on a small pool of games but we're looking really strong at this moment , I don't see a better side out there when we're firing on all cylinders ... The defense and central mid have been as good if not better then anyone all through the season , it's been the front end of the team that werent up to it for different reasons ... Can they keep it going now ? , there'll be setbacks along the way , the key will be bouncing back immediately when this happens ... Personally I feel we're still more in a race for top 4 then in a title race , especially with the away games to City and Scouserpool on the horizon ... The next change in points at the top will determine for me weather we're in a title race proper or we're fighting it out with the others for champs Lg ... We're only one game away from being 4 or 5 points behind or 9 or 10 points behind ... That's a massive diff I.m.o ... We're promising to be a far better side at this moment then I could have imagined , but as Matt would say that's the dooms monger in me ... Long may it continue ... Enjoy ... C.O.Y.S .......

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button