He Who Hesitates is Lost

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Bazza47, February 4, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As the transfer window came and went, January for me will be remembered as the first Transfer Window for many years that I’ve not been glued to the various sports media speculation on who we might or might not be interested in, who wants to come to or, or on this forum with who the fans want to see help us push on in the second half of the season.

I guess I’m not surprised. A new shiny, part built stadium meant that there was always going to be little chance of any big new signings. When you put that alongside hearing MP saying he’s happy with his squad with 0.0001% change of anybody coming, you just know DL has said “NO”, and I guess when the Chairman says no, it’s no.

So I played only fleeting attention to the market, apart perhaps from the rumours around the “other” Moussa Dembele. You remember not long ago, when we were looking for a second striker we were going to take him for £5m, then loan him back to Fulham until the end of the season. Seemed a modest sum to pay for his potential. Young, strong, scores goals – you get my drift. I felt at the time we should have gone for him.

Fulham then let him go to Celtic – what was it for Half a Million! He then scores shed loads of goals, including some in the Champions League against the best…….!

Now fast forward to last week and Chelski are sniffing around him for £40m.

Two things for me are true. The first is that he’s not coming to us now, and the second is the fact that in Football, as in life, He Who Hesitates is Lost.

Sometimes you have to take risks. Moussa 2 was never going to be a risk. A massive opportunity lost imo………

Remy Uwilin likes this.
  2. Errol Guest

Great article!
    Considering the low fee for him
    Plus the tight budget we have
    Missed a trick not signing him.

Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Quality Attackers are what win you games when all is not going to plan, why we penny pinch around certain players and then blow top dollar on the likes of Lamela and Sissoko is beyond me.
    I'll never understand our transfer business.
    Dembele could well of been a gamble that paid off but Berahino was being touted at 25mil to us that could of been a disaster also.
    Who knows?
    Alli a bargain at 5mil, Paulinho an embarrassment at 17mil.
    Soldado 26mil worst striker ever and then SoldaJanssen at 17mil , you get my drift......
    I thought we'd began to sort our scouting etc out until Sissoko walked through the door so I don't try and second guess what's going on anymore transfer windows speculation means nothing to me until the players are pictured holding the shirt.

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Great article. I think this once again reflects that the "mastermind" Mr Levy is anything but. The messing around with Moussa 2 was pathetic. He was there for the same price as Alli, young, raw and scoring goals. But Levy tried to play hard ball, let his ego rule his head and the deal was lost. This was a no brainer at the time and now he's being touted at 40 million he will no doubt end up at City or Chelsea. And do well. In the champions league he has scored and looked strong of raw, but he is just the type of player that Spurs have needed in the past 2 or 3 years. (And the rest Mr Levy!)
    Gabbiadini who has just signed for the Saints is a player that was freely available but I suppose we have been burnt by super players from Italy in the past.
    I have mentioned Rodriguez before too, who I thought we could have gone for and got for a decent price especially with the Saints bringing in Gabbiadini. I am not saying he would be the answer to all our prayers but he scores goals and that's more than we currently have on our bench.

And what about Defoe? Just look at him right now. He can and does change games. Look at the draws we have had this season and Defoe could have turned those games around. We know he could.

With the new stadium around the corner, it's interesting to note that Levy has now gone back into his safe house. We have a lovely looking balance sheet. Nobody is interested in Levy but I'm not one of those who is suddenly going to become a hypocrite and start loving Levy! In 16 years he has bumbled his way through and right now he is having it easy but my opinion of him hasn't changed.

We have the right manager for the job. For the long term. Big whilst ever Levy is at the very top, and fails to properly invest in the squad, Success may just continue to elude this great club. And his transfer market dealings need to stop. Invest in talent when it's there. Yes, we got Alli but one player, a squad does not make. Said Yoda.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Dace Member

I feel we will see quite a bit of movement come the Summer.
    Lamela, Sissoko, Janssen,Nkoudou and maybe even Trippier and Davis if they are fed up with being perpetual bench warmers.
    Not sure why Poch is apparently always looking at a fast winger type, N'Jie and N'Koudou but gives them hardly any PL game time.

Totally agree about the Dembele 2 player, we should have paid the £5 million and loaned him back, that was what Fulham wanted.
    He seems at the very least on par with Janssen, I know he plays in Scotland but he has pace, something Janssen and to some extent Kane are lacking.

Next season could be pivotal, we may well make the CL again this season but Wembley appears to be doing us no favours, perhaps if we play pre-season and train there things may change but this years CL there was a disaster .

Bazza47 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button