Harry Kane- Sherwood’s scapegoat or Spurs’ 1st team striker?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, April 12, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    When Spurs fans first came up with the chant “Here I am, rock you like a Harry Kane” (to the tune of Rock You Like A Hurricane – Scorpions), there was a hint of sarcasm to it no doubt.

Were we really happy that a 20 year-old from Chingford was being given more of a chance than the likes of our big money signings such as Erik Lamela or Etienne Capoue? Along with Nabil Bentaleb, it seemed that Tim Sherwood’s ‘bedding in the youngsters policy’ was the only reason why Kane was around the first team, and I for one wasn’t convinced by the striker.

After a hapless performance at home against Benfica in the EL in a ‘no.10 role’, there didn’t seem to be any way back for Kane in the staring XI within the near future. However, after biding his time and with an injury to Roberto Soldado, it looks like the ‘Hurricane’ is ready to wreak havoc in the opposition defence again this weekend.

From Striker to Striker
    After Monday’s win at Sunderland, fellow strike-partner Emmanuel Adebayor was quick to pay tribute to the youngster. Of Kane, Manu stated “It’s magnificent for him as a young lad to play for Spurs alongside a lot of good players like Aaron Lennon and Christian Eriksen”.

In game in which both Harry and Ade scored, the Togolese forward went on to add - “Harry got a goal against Sunderland and he had a very good game as well. Hopefully he will be the future of this club.

And as Ade has said, Kane did have a good game against Sunderland, even if it wasn’t the most polished of performances.

Can Kane Play a Part?
    Against the Black Cats, Kane only had 49 touches – nearly half as many as Adebayor. His passing accuracy stood at 70%, the joint lowest of any Spurs outfield player with Younes Kaboul. However, Kane did lead the statistics with shots taken – having a grand total of 8.

We all know Kane has the ability to ‘work hard’, a trait associated with all energetic youngsters, but is he good enough to warrant a starting place?

Against Sunderland, the fact that he took 8 shots not only reflected our ability to get at goal, but Kane’s desire to be on the score sheet. Hopefully, after grabbing his first PL goal in our colours, Kane will be able play with less pressure and with a monkey off his back.

Of course strikers are judged on goals, but for Kane, game-time is all about improving his overall play, as well as developing as a player.

It Had to Be You Tim!

As mentioned above, along with Bentaleb, Kane has been given a chance to break into the first team under Tim Sherwood. In favour of the big-money signings, Spurs’ young’uns can go into training at Hotspur way knowing that there is every chance of getting themselves on the team-sheet come Saturday.

Managers have come and gone, Kane has had a League Cup/EL game here or there, but under Sherwood there seems to be more consistency to when Kane plays.

Like Ade, after the game against Sunderland, Sherwood was quick to give credit to the youngster, stating - "I thought he was fantastic. He ran his heart out, stretched Sunderland and created space for the likes of Christian and Azza to get into the pockets.”

Later, Sherwood went to speak of the boy’s character, adding - "Harry has been patient, waited for his opportunity, he’s got stronger around his body and has more game know-how. He decided he didn’t want to go out on loan when Andre was here, he wanted to stay and fight for his place and he made a great decision."

Whether it is a dig at Villas-Boas or not, the fact that Kane went out of his way to stay at N.17 this season speaks volumes of his mind-set. After mauling’s and capitulations in recent weeks, fans of our club have questioned whether players actually want to play for the name on the front of the shirt, rather than just the name on the back.

With Kane expressing his desire to be at Spurs and fight for his place, it is no surprise that Sherwood is willing put his faith in, and give more opportunities for a player with this attitude.

Kane’s Future – Bright and Lilywhite?
    After his goal on Monday, Kane told TottenhamTV - “It’s the best feeling in my career so far. I was buzzing to get my first start in the Premier League for Spurs and to then get my first Premier League goal at White Hart Lane in a 5-1 win made it a brilliant night.”

He summarised the night’s events by saying - “I’ve waited patiently and to get that goal is a very proud moment.

After numerous loan spells and a mild flirtation with first-team football since 2011, many people are quick to forget that Kane is only 20 years-old. Of course, my point will be shot down by people who will point out that Romelu Lukaku is also 20 years-old, however, there is a key difference.

In recent seasons, serious first team opportunities for players under 21 at Spurs have been limited, bar the exception of maybe Kyle Walker and Gareth Bale. Youngsters such as Kane are chucked into first team action in seemingly ‘pointless’ EL/LC games, and are then labelled ‘not good enough’ for the club by fans, when they don’t find themselves on the score-sheet.

What a player like Kane needs, is a manager who will not start him for the sake of ‘getting a youngster minutes’, but will start him as he thinks it will aid his development.

A lot has been said of Louis van Gaal’s tendency to give young players a concrete chance at first team football, as well as his liking of young players, as they are ‘more likely to accept his philosophy’. And maybe, just maybe van Gaal is the man to make Kane the player he knows he can be.

Yet, until then, Tim Sherwood remains in charge at WHL, but that in itself may not be so bad for Kane. With Sherwood ready to bow out as Spurs boss ‘his way’, Kane is definitely a part of his way, with Sherwood saying - “Now he’s [Kane] got his opportunity and he took it with both hands. Get ready for Saturday Harry, because you’re playing.”

2. lieutenant Guest

c'mon what spurs fans want deserve is 2-3 strikers who can score 20.+ GOALS! glory lift players team spirits I don't expect current front line to deliver top four or title we've had several great strikers in the past we need a clearout and reshuffle our goal stats embarrassing.

3. Spurman4 New Member

Yes agreed, we spent a fortune on midfielders in the summer, yet we were desperate for more fire-power. What were the board thinking of? whilst it's admirable that they spent the Bale money, in my view it was not spent wisely. Let's have a clear-out and get some real class players in please. Passionate, hungry and determined goal getters and winners.

4. spurgatso Guest

Why is he Sherwoods scapegoat,you have explained that very well,so lets get the Dutch looney in because he will do exactly what Sherwoods doing,but Sherwood is passionate about Spurs,lvg is at present whoring himself to Manu sounds just the bloke.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button