Hard earned point could have been more

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, October 4, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

After last weeks excellent showing against City, there was always a slight feeling that today might be a disappointment. Although we didn't collect the 3 points, we did not lose and again showed signs of working hard, pressing hard and starting to play some wonderful attacking football.

Eriksen looked back to his best today. Not only in the free kicks but the way he drifted across the midfield and took control. Alongside the raw talent of Alli, we have a superb midfield taking shape.
    The major down side today was the booking of Dier who again commanded the game and is already becoming a Spurs legend. The booking by the way was ridiculous. Dier got the ball cleanly and goodness knows what the wobbly one at the suspension bridge would have made of that had it been for his shower!!!

Kane again worked hard. In fact he is perhaps guilty of trying too hard at present. His goals will come again and in some ways I would be happy if he was tested during the International break. He has played a lot of football non stop and a break might do him good.

I love the rawness of Alli. Yes he will make mistakes but he is just exciting to watch. A real star of the future. A star already at Spurs.

We did nearly manage to lose it at the end though but thankfully our superb leader, Lloris was on hand to pull off a magnificent save. World class. Some will perhaps say without him we would have lost but the top teams have always had top keepers making saves. Schmeichel, Cech, De Gea, Hart. They win games and stop teams losing. That's what Lloris does so I wouldn't see that as negative.

Andros Townsend worked hard but how annoying is he? He had a wonderful chance late on to pass the ball and possibly win us three points but he was so greedy. Poch needs to sit him down and tell him he has to either develop a football brain or he will be forever a nearly man. He is naive and a very poor reader of the game and needs to learn or there is no place at Spurs for him anymore. I love his enthusiasm but it's now time he learned some simple things. Get your head up and pass!!! Please!!!

I think we played well today and although I would have loved three points, I again saw signs of real improvement in the team.

Plenty to keep us happy and a cracking game!

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!!!

bruski likes this.
  2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Not a bad result, apparently a good performance. No complaints really. A win would have been great but we just couldn't put the ball in the net

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Great that we fought back from being behind twice, great that Eriksen is getting back to his best....and whilst I won't see it until MOTD, two direct free kicks in one match is top class.
    The stats were all ours and at one stage Swansea were 2-1 up with only 1 shot on target, thanks to Harry's OG. It's a funny old game.
    If we can get the right result next Saturday that will be 8 games unbeaten....not too bad and real progress in a number of key areas.
    COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

If we get any result next Saturday that would be amazing. We haven't got a game mind.

Rooster20 and MT1882 like this.
  5. Rooster20 New Member

I feel for Harry Kane, tries so hard and then gives up that own goal. On a brighter not we look like we don't want to lose at the moment which is great to see and considering some of our previous sides definitely an improvement.

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. big fran Guest

Only managed to get to see the last 25 min or so but looked a thrilling game and end to end at the finale. Townsend is so frustrating isn't he tho! Bad decision making again and constantly looking to cut in on his left foot and hit wayward shots waisting some really quick counter attacks. There is defo really a quality player in there somewhere but he is running out of time at spurs and I fear we will never see that potential fulfilled much like Azza. I really would like to see him deployed in a run of games on the left in place of the ineffective Chadli and strip his game right down to the basics with instructions to get to the bye line whipping crosses in low and hard taking the decision making away from him.
    For me with Son missing it highlights how we lack quality out wide as chadli offers nothing apart from a goal here and there. He has no pace to get in behind,little skill that enables him to beat a man hardly a grafter either. Neat and tidy yes,but nothing more than that!
    Great to see eriksen getting back to form hopefully Kane will do so likewise sooner rather than later and we can capitalize on Chelsea and Liverpool's poor start.
    The central mid area looks pretty much sorted now considering dembele bentaleb and mason have all been injured early season. The emergence of Alli and dier has been a massive bonus which can give eriksen the platform to perform his magic.
    Need to stay in touch with the top four until January and maybe pull a couple of rabbits out the hat maybe!

notnats likes this.
  7. Bazza47

On the money big Fran....
    Townsend left or nowhere...why can't the coaches get into his psyche.
    Chadli not good enough and lazy to wit.
    Width, pace, these skills have served us well in recent times and they will in the future.
    COYS

8. Bazza47

Bum....you know what I mean Matt...still in Rugby shock!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Cant see any real future at Spurs for Andros and agree that he is sooo frustrating to watch.
    Personally, and like others, id like to see Rose move up on the left to give us some width and pace not to mention his heart and determination to do something with the ball at every opportunity.

10. big fran Guest

He most definitely has the tools to succeed. He has pace power and ability to use both feet whilst dribbling at speed. Whilst on the left it just doesn't seem to work...

11. big fran Guest

He most definitely has the tools to succeed. He has pace power and ability to use both feet whilst dribbling at speed. Whilst on the left it just doesn't seem to work...on the right I meant to say ***sorry***

12. bruski

bruski Active Member

I so agree with your Townsend observation, the lad has oodles of talent but his head is devoid of creativity. Some of that can be coached but he is certainly not a natural. I get the same feeling with him as I did with Lennon...good but could be so much more. A streak of arrogance on both parts perhaps? You also mention Ali....Mark my words, the next Zinadine Zidane. His size, balance and brain are so similar to the French God at that age. As always with the Lilly Whites, keeping these player's is always a losing battle for us. Love what I'm seeing at the moment though. Go MO PO!

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button