Gazza in fine form

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, June 8, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

My mate surprised me with a Premiere ticket for the new Gazza film 'Gascoigne' at the Brixton Ritzy tonight.

Gazza is my hero, my boy hood idol, a genius on the football pitch and the main reason i support Spurs with every ounce of my being.

The film is very good focussing mainly on his football career from boy, to man, to world class player, celebrity and tactfully the pressures and problems that came with it.

As there is and always will be- its a whole roller coaster of emotions watching moments of Pauls football career and aspects of his personal life. The highs, the lows, the demons but most of all the Genius and absolute Unique traits that make Gazza what/who he is.

There were moments where you would laugh hysterically as he re-told pranks, incidents, stories and there were moments where it really pulled at the heart strings.

And the great man was there himself as well, who did a Q&A after the film alongside Stuart Pearce which was again very funny and at times emotional.

Gazza the type of footballer/character that i wish not only Spurs had now but the World had but i doubt we will ever see again. He inspired every English footballer of my generation.

Gazza didn't play for money, he played for the love of the game, he played with a smile on his face even though it meant the world to him, supremely confident without arrogance, dazzled with the ball at his feet, scored brilliant goals, head and shoulders above the rest.

It was great to be in the same room as Gazza, but even better to say that he looked in good health and happy. I hope/pray he finally kicks the demons and carries on in this way.

If or when you get a chance it is a must watch film great entertainment. (And a certain free kick played more than once)

Gazza Genius and true England & Spurs Legend!

2. The Cockerel

The Cockerel Member

I first saw Gazza live at Selhurst Park in 1990, in an away match against Charlton Athletic when they played their home matches there. In the 2nd half, Gazza took the ball off our goalie in the right back area, slalomed his way across the pitch, taking on and beating about 5 Charlton players and ending up at the left side of their penalty area. He then slammed the ball with his left peg into the roof of the Charlton net. I stood on the giant terrace at the Holmesdale Road end ( before it was refurbished into the big stand you see today ) and admired the genius. That same season he run the midfield at the Lane when we hosted Man Utd, a side which included Bryan Robson and Paul Ince. They couldn't live with him. And to top it all, he scored the winning goal in our 2-1 win, stuck the ball inside his jersey and run around the pitch pretending to be pregnant!
    In our FA Cup run in 1991, Gazza was to Spurs what Diego Maradona was to Argentina in 1986 in Mexico. He almost single-handedly carried us to the FA Cup final where, unfortunately, his over-exuberance caused him his carrier-defining injury. Gazza is simply the greatest footballer England has produced in the last 30 years. I will probably never see another English player with his mad talent, allied to an even crazier attitude in my lifetime. All Spurs fans should cherish him for the rest of his days. The best English player in the last 30 years played his very best football at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club! Come on Gazza! Come on you Spurs!

Felon82 likes this.
  3. bigfran

bigfran Member

Quite simply the greatest spurs player I've ever seen!

Felon82 likes this.
  4. Jonesy Guest

I echo all of your points guys.

Gazza was an unbelievable talent and I vividly remember me and my Dad being at the semi-final at Wembley, watching him launch the sublime free-kick in to the top corner of Seaman's goal; great childhood memories...

An amazing player and I really hope he looks after himself.

Gazza you are a living legend!

Felon82 likes this.
  5. yido3105 Guest

I echo every word of Cockerel's entry. I too was at that game in 1990 at Selhurst Park and it was the gascoigne and Lineker show. Mitchell Thomas scoring as well was a bonus. What can you say about the main man the enigma the legend that is Paul Gasgoigne, A flawed genius some quotes are said, yes maybe but not at the same time, On the pitch he was a genius, barrell chested cheeky grin playing because he loved playing. It wasnt just about the semi final, what about 3rd round vs Oxford utd without him we were out. The 6th round vs Notts county Gazza postponed a hernia operation to drag us through the game. He was the reason we won the FA Cup that year. My wife shares a bedroom with Paul Gascoigne and she doesn't complain, we have the newspaper picture of Gazza leaping at the end of the 1991 semi final. It was a double page picture and it is my prized Spurs (gazza) possession. I hangs in our bedroom in a 24 x 16 frame and I wouldn't get rid of it. I wasn't ashamed to say I cried when he was being stretchered out of wembley that day.
    Gazza you will always be in our hearts and you have EARNED the tag Legend.
    Cliff. Yido3105 TTID

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button