Eriksen talks about his 1st season and next manager

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 21, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

While much of the media and indeed us Spurs fans have had plenty to say about the seven players we signed with the Bale money, there was one guy who was a shining light. With me being a pessimistic Spurs fan, (I know, it is a big shock for you to hear that!) my biggest fear for the summer is that Eriksen may up and leave, but judging by his recent interview, it appears he has really enjoyed his first season at the Lane.

“It’s more than I could have dreamed or imagined. You’ve always heard that the first season is just acclimatizing, but it’s gone beyond expectations. Or I would say that it ended better than I expected.”

At first, I think we would agree that Eriksen showed some signs of real quality, but the final third of the season really showed just how good a player he is. He may not be the paciest player, but with his quick football brain, I really do not see that as being a major issue. When you can control a ball as well as he can and see things ahead of you, pace is a secondary factor. Eriksen himself admits that the end of the season was what he really enjoyed;

“The end was good. But there was a time when I doubted if I should play. You try to convince yourself that you should, and I am very pleased with the end of the season.”

New manager...

As Spurs continue their search for a new boss (slowly), it would be easy to think that Eriksen may relish a reunion with his mentor at Ajax, Frank De Boer. Eriksen is however keeping his counsel. When asked about the possibility of FDB, he simply replied;

“I will not talk about the coach.”

He may not talk about it publicly, but watching videos of Eriksen at Ajax, FDB certainly knew how to get the best out of the player and it could be an exciting reunion if it were to happen.

The Premier League is tough

The fact that it took Eriksen time to adapt to life in the Premier league is hardly surprising as if, as I do, you watch the Dutch league, it is a different kettle of fish to the Premier league, much more methodical. As I alluded to earlier, pace is not Eriksen's greatest skills, but then again neither was Eric Cantona's. A football's brain is a useful ally in any Premier league team.

“The matches are tougher, both physically and mentally. You need to rely more on your brain in the Premiership, due to the pace of the game here. You need to perform at the highest level in any match. If you don’t you’ll lose to any team; the teams are that close in the EPL.”

It is nice to hear Eriksen enjoyed his first season at the Lane, and I truly hope that whoever becomes the new manager, builds the team around him. I see a legend in the making for Eriksen, our number 23!

As ever...Come on you Spurs!!!!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Eriksen and lloris are our only 2 truelly top class players thats skill and atitude combined, to lose either would be yet another major step back for the club!

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button