End of Season awards ( just for fun)

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 18, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

After another season has closed and I have now re entered the world of reality after my rather re actionary and misguided post match report after the defeat at Newcastle, I thought it was time for my end of season awards ceremony.
    Spurs have finished in the highest position for years and with Pochettino now signed up, we can look forward to next season with optimism.

So, here I go with the first award!!!

Goal of the season
    Spurs have scored some great goals this season and Harry Kane has been responsible for a fair number of those. His second against Arsenal stands out for me and I also enjoyed Lamela's goal against United at the Lane which epitomised Spurs play this season.
    However, I've gone for the obvious and plumped for Dele Alli against Crystal Palace. The control, the awareness of his surroundings and the finish were all sublime. Just a work of art.

Lucky boy of the season

Ah, who has been a lucky boy for Spurs this season? Well, Wimmer got his chance and grabbed it with both hands when Vertonghen got injured. Sadly for him, his luck turned from good to bad when he was dropped when Jan came back. I really did feel sorry for him. He came in, didn't put a foot wrong and got dropped like a stone.
    And then there is the battle of the bridge. Rose, Walker, Dier and Dembele. Pretty much the whole team were pretty lucky to escape red cards on the night although Dembele can consider himself unfortunate with the length of his ban.
    The winner here......Jan Vertonghen. Lucky to get his place back after Wimmer's superb performances.

Miss of the season

Ooh. Well, I gave him goal of the season and I have to give him miss of the season. At the Brittania, Spurs ran riot over Stoke City and Alli was in imperious form.
    And he had everyone on their feet when he broke free, rounded the keeper with ease and then with the goal gaping he slid the ball.......against the post!!!!! How did he miss? Who knows. In the end it didn't matter but sorry Delle, the award is yours!!!

Moment of the season

Against Southampton, Spurs welcomed 8 year old Marshall onto the pitch. This young man, with 2 prosthetic legs was full of smiles as he had a kick a round with Moussa and he received a great reception from the wonderful Spurs fans.
    It was a moment to put football rivalries to one side. A heart warming moment and thoroughly worthy winner of my moment of the season award.

Performance of the season

I've struggled with this one as there have been a number of great performances this season. Against Stoke we were superb under pressure and played fast, attacking football. Mark Hughes was spot on when he said Stoke just couldn't live with us that night.
    Against United at the Lane we were fabulous for ten minutes when we blew them away with 3 quick fire goals.
    The official Tottenham website has voted Spurs 4-1 victory over Man City as their match of the season and that was a day when everything worked. However, I have decided to give my award to a game involving the same opposition.
    At the Etihad, Spurs were robust, gritty, filled with desire and that 2-1 win was the moment I finally started to believe we could win the Premier league.

Where are you? .. of the season

I'm not sure how a team from London (sarcasm) can manage to turn up late to 2 games in London in the same season!!!
    Need a new sat nav? Award goes to Man United.

Genius social media hack of the season

For all of the good that social media can bring, it also has the ability to entertain us when people decide to ruin someone else's day.
    And Spurs fans can have this award. They deserve it.
    When it was announced that Jack (crutches) Wilshit was doing a Q and A session on Twitter, he must have known he would get some abuse. But Spurs fans cranked it up to the top level!! They ripped him apart until such a stage that some kill joy removed the session. Booooo!!!
    Spurs fans, this award should be warmly received!! Good work!!!

Player of the season

And finally........ There are a few candidates for this award. Harry Kane has joined the list of Tottenham legends to win the golden boot award. The media and opposition fans revelled in calling him a one season wonder. But he was having none of it. It took him a while to get going but when he did he did it in style and what a way to answer your critics!!!
    Some will laugh if I mention Lamela but I think he has worked hard this season and deserves a mention. He doesn't get this award but I would say he has been most improved.
    Danny Rose. 2 seasons ago you would have been laughed out of town if you had talked about Rose being an England shoe in. But boy has he worked hard. His fitness levels are incredible, his defending has improved and he truly puts his body on the line for the cause. His attacking play is strong and I can see him getting a few more goals when he learns to shoot straight. A really solid season.
    Dele Alli has been outstanding. In fact his performances you would have expected from someone older. He needs to learn to temper his temper but his skill, speed and his ability to see the whole picture surrounding him. In fact, he sees things that others don't and he is going to get better. Frightening!
    Down to my final 2!!!
    Often an enigma at Spurs. Signs of quality never realised. Frustrating as heck. Yes, words that sum up Moussa Dembele in previous seasons but not a jot of it this season. Strong, no not strong, immense, tough, good passing, strong but fair tackling. A complete performer this season. I was so close to giving the award to Moussa but in the end I agree with the fans!!
    Toby Alderweireld has been immense. He makes defending look so easy and he has led from the back with style. He is commanding, can score and just makes the whole back line seem so strong.
    I would like to see him made captain next season. I've never been a fan of keepers being the skipper and Toby exudes leadership. Making him captain could be a genius move.
    So that's it. My player of the season is Toby Aldeweireld. Although I would happily let those others I have named have a slice of it too.
    But as these awards are imaginary and there is no metal award to recieve, I guess they can all have it after all!!!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have read my posts this season, entered into the numerous debates we have had, and also kept reading even when I have managed to come out with some inane drivel!! It's Tottenham that drives me to it.

Enjoy the Euro's folks, see you in August when, yes you've guessed it, it will be time to get singing again!!... Come on you Spurs!!!!!!!!

Cheers everyone.

bruski, Bazza47, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Big fran Guest

Miss of the season for me was mason v Chelsea at 2:2 i think the score was maybe even 2:1. Not picking on the boy he trys his best and a decent prem player but he's fell short for us and who knows what would have happened had we won.
    One boy I do agree with who takes a lot of blame is lamela people need to understand how key he is in the style of play and system in pressing high. Kane goes first then the key is the second man in which invariably is lamela. Son struggles to do it and chadli certainly couldn't do it.
    Alderweireld easy pick for player of year. Kane was my favourite goal due its timing in a derby and also announced him as a world class forward but Alli's was easily technically sublime.

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Morning Matt....

Four stand outs this season for me - Toby, Deli, Moussa, Harry. There is really not much to choose between them. I voted for Toby, but in truth the progress made by Moussa made it a close call.

You could draw a graph of our season, low to start, getting, higher, higher, then plummeting.....the first 4, the next 30, the last 4.....concern, optimism, ecstasy and pain for those season long chapters of 2015-16...it can only be Spurs!!

Hey ho.

Let's hope we will hear your views long before August, extolling the virtues of MP initiated, DL funded early arriving new players.....a couple of Argies would do nicely.

Have a good summer.

COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Big fran Guest

Not really related to the post sorry but having seen Lyon rejected a monster £31m bid for laczarette a player I really would like due to his ability to also play wide he seems to be overpriced and out of our price range. We have now been linked with callum Wilson a link at first I was not to overjoyed with but having seen his show reel could be a good option. Admitted players always look better on a show reel and many of his goals were in the championship but he seems quick strong both footed good in the air and fits into the young,English and with potential ethos that has served us well. What's peoples thoughts please?
    If we could add an established wide attacker who will add 15 goals such as Mane,Reus,Goetze or schurle we would be looking at between an extra 20-30 goals. Defensively I'd expect us to be equally as strong with carter-vickers promoted to the first team squad and should have the killer instinct to kill games off which we lacked last year which was the biggest factor last year in falling short. Stoke home two up, battered Everton home couldn't score, toon home we all know what happened there. Leicester home west brom strong first half showings and flopped second half.
    Its a given that mason and Carroll will definitely be moved on if not bentaleb so two central MIDs will need to come in which free up Dier to cover centre half right side and full back. Sissoko and wanyama be great additions if not Carrick on a free.
    That's my blue print anyway ha ha. Easy ain't??!

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Allis goal def goal of the season.

And Toby player of the Season.

6. johnnyhrvat Guest

Thanks Matt,
    Always enjoy reading your articles.
    Toby wins the Player Award by a mile - how many of us were saying 'buy him' at the end of last season? None?
    Agree with your thoughts on Wimmer, although I have never really rated JV.
    Rose seemed to have got hold of his mental problems and then blew the illusion in West London.
    I thought our performance of the season was at the Woolwich - unfortunately the result did not reflect the domination that we enjoyed.
    The only thing on which I really disagree with you is Lamela - we are far too light in midfield when he and Eriksen play together.
    Look forward to reading your views next season.

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. STEVENFROMITALY Member

Dear Matt, i wish to enjoy a good summer to you and all spurs' fans !

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Likewise Steven...

9. bruski

bruski Active Member

All the best Matt. Keep blogging.
    COYS!!

10. Chris #2

Chris #2 New Member

Felon82 and Nomadico like this.
  11. Big fran Guest

Must say absolutely fantastic opening fixtures for ourselves. Really need to capitalise on them as we all saw first hand with Leicester how far confidence can take you...
    A strong back up to dembele is a priority with him missing the opening few games and will also free up dier to be fourth choice centre half in a crisis saving transfer funds to strengthen in the attacking third to kill games off.
    An out and out forward to back up Kane mostly but also to partner in certain games/scenarios. Michy janssen or callum Wilson good targets.
    And finally a winger cum striker who can inject much lacking pace,directness, assists but more importantly goals. If that player can also play as a central striker even better. For me Mane,Embolo,Schurle be nice but personally would love laczarette..

Nomadico likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button