Dominant Spurs climb to second

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, February 6, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It felt like it was going to be one of those afternoons. Dominant in possession, dominant in chance creation but no goals to show for it. Gomes was in inspired form and it looked like he was going to keep Spurs out all day long.

Spurs were on top from the first whistle. Davies and Trippier bombed forward time and again, and both were in excellent form today. Eriksen pulled the strings in midfield, while Dembele broke up play with his strength and continually got Spurs moving forward.

Kane cut a frustrated figure as balls came his way but either alluded his touch or just went wide. Gomes pushed the ball out toward Kane early on only for the defence to beat Harry to the ball. He really was a nearly man today. He worked hard but the goal just wouldn't come.

Lamela was again workman like without being inspiring but you can't fault his effort this season. In some ways he epitomises Spurs "never say die" attitude.

But it was a familiar name that turned the game in our favour. Alli started from the bench as a precaution but it was he and Dembele that combined to give the Spurs the lead and the victory. Eriksen took the ball down, it broke to Dembele who surged forward. He laid the ball off to Alli who had got forward at speed on the left, he got to the by line and pulled the ball across goal where Trippier capped a superb display with an easy finish.

Spurs continued to press for a second but came up against a stubborn Watford rear guard. When the 4th official indicated 4 minutes of added time, my heart was racing. I had this horrible feeling that Watford were going to get a smash and grab and rob us of the 3 points. Thankfully it didn't happen and we held on for all 3 points and up to second we go. Even if Arsenal win tomorrow, we will remain second with our goal difference.

1-0 suggests a tight game but it was far from it. Watford tried to stifle Spurs but with that amount of pressure, you just felt we had to get the goal.

Wimmer was strong again and he and Toby are forging a good partnership, allaying fears of problems after the injury to Jan. It further shows that we have strength in depth and with the Europa league and FA cup still on our agenda, we will need all the strength we can muster.

A draw in the lunchtime kick off would have been great but I have to be honest and say Leicester look unbeatable at the minute. (Apart from in the cup against Spurs of course!) Today they destroyed City.

And that's where we head next. City will be a wounded beast after today's mauling by the Foxes, and we must now go there and destroy them too.

We are strong, talented and up for the fight. Let's now accept that we are in this title race and we can do it. We may never have a better chance than this season.

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!!!

2. Mattj78

And here's a stat for you: Trippier. Tackles won. 100%

Josh Bolton and Nomadico like this.
  3. Nomadico Well-Known Member

It is so nice to see Trippier and Wimmer,Son,and Davies,all starting to show the skill level's that Poch saw in them,given the chance to shine today they did,The crossing skill shown by Trippier was outstanding,Davies look's like a new signing confident and willing to get forward,Wimmer stood along side Toby like he has played there all season,Son should have started Lamela gives a high work rate but he is missing so many it is starting to cost us,I am concerned about Ali and this dizzy spells I hope our med team are on top of things and can sort it out,With Mason close to come back we look good for the rest of the season,now it is up to us fans to do our bit and get behind the team and let them hear WE ARE SPURS..COYS..

Bazza47, Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Il have to admit i wasn't overly confident in the signings of Alli and Trippier but i stand corrected, Alli has been brilliant and for me Trippier is getting better and better.
    For the 1st time in a long time i believe in this side and i think its poised perfectly. Id much rather we were hunting down Leicester than City or Scum if we can close with 5 games to go there would be a lot more pressure on them.
    Bar the extra Striker this is the best balanced side i can remember with strength and depth in all deprtments.
    Good performance deserved more, and credit to Poch he made the right changes at the right time.
    Come on Bournemouth.

COYS!

5. Simon D Guest

superb all round performance today, great energy & motivation against a stubborn opponent.

Nomadico and Bazza47 like this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Another solid performance. An important 3 points for sure.

Next week will be tough and I'm sure there will be a reaction, however we should approach the game in a similar fashion as today. We mustn't fear anyone now.

3 points for the Cherries tomorrow and a win at the Etihad next week, then I will really start to believe!

COYS

Nomadico, Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  7. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Nice to get all 3 points against well coached team. Although my manicure was ruined in that...
    Spurs have never been that high in the PL table by February. I can't stop looking at that table. Now, let's double Citizens! COYS!!!

Nomadico, Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  8. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    Was at the game today - totally dominant as you said Matt.

Only thing Hugo had to do was claim two important catches to ease the pressure in the final few minutes, other than that - he was a bystander!

Trippier and Davies were excellent and I remember a few months ago on here - a few had slated the pair, saying they weren't even championship level!!!!

Like any footballer - they need a run of games to find their feet/form and in their earlier games, Keiran and Ben were trying too hard to impress Poch and force their way into the side; making errors as a result.

As much as I love Walker and Rose, I feel the only thing they have on their positional rivals is their pace - whereas Davies and Trippier are much smarter footballers. When the latter two are in the final third - their passing/crossing/decision making is exceedingly better!

Dembele was phenomenal again today and Kevin Wimmer slotted next to Alderweireld like it was he who had played at Ajax with Toby - very comfortable.

Another player who shined for me today was Christian Eriksen...I'm a massive critic of this lad merely because I know how good he can be.

Today he ran the show, it was like watching a younger version of Pirlo - he could've played and passed with his slippers on!

Chadli also very good - worked hard off the ball and showed some neat skill to beat his fullback on occasions.

Other than that, buzzing with the win! The Lane was rocking and full credit to the fans for singing throughout the 90 - you could see the difference it made for the players!

Poch & co, keep it going! And whatever happens lads, enjoy this fantastic ride!

TTID COYS

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  9. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Technically our reserve CB, LB and RB all were exceptional. Really good competition for places, loving it. A win at City would do a lot to push them out the immediate race for first, but not losing against West Ham away, Arsenal and United at home and then Chelsea away are our biggest four results. 12/12 we win the league, 0/12 top 4.

10. Mattj78

One thing I want to raise is the old inverted wingers debate.
    One of the reasons that Spurs are so good going forward is the way the wing back are getting forward. It is allowing Spurs to get to the by line and cause all sorts of problems. I have said it for so long and so glad that Poch has taken my advice on board!!!

Son was good when he came on and I think he should start ahead of Chadli. Chadli showed today why he is an impact player and not a 90 minute man. He did okay but seems so much better from the bench.

11. Tottenhamlover

Tottenhamlover Member

Good performance from the lads , absolute domination.
    We go up to second thanks to Leicester smashing Man City and showing us it isn't impossible to beat City away.
    Think Davies was impressive alongside Trippier the goal scorer, and look, to have cemented their place in the side.
    Tough test for us net week.
    Starting line up should be:Lloris- Davies, Wimmer, Alderwiereld, Trippier, - Dier, Dembele- Alli, Eriksen, Son,-Kane
    COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  12. Chris #2 Guest

I pretty much agree with everything you say Josh. I dont agree that Trippier has a slight edge on Walker in general though - if thats what you are saying? To me, it seems Trippier is better at getting past an opponent from a stand still, to whip the ball in. His technique is better and his crossing is great. However, Walker is stronger and has great speed. I dont believe any of the players in the PL that are faster than Walker, have the same physical strength. I would rather have Walker chasing down Vardy or the likes of him, in a counter-attack situation - any time. Also, Walker is great at leaving his RB position to defend the central box area when needed - has cleared the ball like this quite a few times this season.

I think Poch plays them to match the opposition. Against Watford at WHL, Poch likely predicted that Watford would be at their final third most of the game, meaning that Trippiers one on one and crossing skills would be more needed than Walkers pace. In games where both sides are going for 3 points, and counter attacks will occur, Walker would still be my choice. Even though Trippier played well yesterday, I think Walker will play against City. His speed and strength will be needed.

13. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I fully agree about Son, should start instead of Chadli,the impact Chadli gives has been shown a number of time this season and should continue,the debate about Walker and Rose versus Trippier and Davies,both pairings have there merits but the latter is a lot more precise in there crossing,Walker maybe stronger but without the end product it is not worth much,Rose is hot and cold,But the standout point is Davies and Trippier are VERY Hungry to get in and stay in the team so they work harder with a better end result,with City up next we will need all the player's to step up they can be beaten Leicester showed that,we have to show we fear NO ONE..COYS..

Mattj78 and Jonesy like this.
  14. The Cockerel

The Cockerel Member

I want to talk about Nacer Chadli. If anyone asked me about Nacer Chadli, I'd describe him as your standard up-and-down footballer, athletic, comes back to help us defend, helps move the ball through the middle of the park and joins up in attack. The one thing he has going for him, I would say, is this uncanny ability to ghost in the right spot in the box to score a goal, usually in very crucial moments in big matches. Yesterday, I saw a guy on the left side of our midfield produce 2 bits of skill that had me sit and ask " Who was that? Was that Nacer Chadli? I didn't know he had that in his locker!" If you throw in almost forgotten goal at Selhurst Park ( because of you know who ), Nacer is beginning to show us a new side that I didn't think he had in him. Amazing what confidence can do to a footballer.
    Btw, Poch may not want to talk about it, understandably, but this is probably going to be our best chance of being Champions of England in a while. If you look at managerial changes coming in next season, coupled with the new TV contract, at a time when our resources are going into our new stadium, NOW IS THE TIME! We may not win it, but we have to go for it. I've never been more excited in nearly 40 years of following Spurs ( a certain Gascoigne free kick aside ). Come On You Spurs!

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  15. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Agree - certainly a key run of fixtures coming up. A real test.

For me, I think we are absolutely due a win at Stamford Bridge! It WILL happen this season. Realistically we must avoid defeat at the Etihad and the Spammers with the proviso of taking 9 points from Goons and Utd at home and Pool away.

COYS - keep ur foot on the pedal!

Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  16. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Very nearly a perfect end to the weekend,Man U dropping only two points,any way we are now 7 points clear of 5th,It is nice to dream of the title but for me I will wait until April before I stop looking down at the points total of 5th,COYS..

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button