Do not moan. We deserved 3 points!!!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, November 8, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

You all know how pessimistic I am but please do not start moaning about Spurs this evening. Yes, they made an error to let the Gooners get a point but Spurs were magnificent today. To a man they were magnificent.

Alli was imperious and deservedly man of the match. Let's not forget that we were playing against a team who many think will be in the title charge. And after only 1 defeat in the league this season, Spurs should not be counted out either.

I have not been convinced with Poch at times but now I hold my hands up and say....support him because he is building something at Spurs. We don't always play pretty football but Chelsea won titles playing boring football. Today we were slick and sadly didn't kill the game off.

Our team is the youngest in the league but they are growing every game and they are all playing for the manager. All getting stuck in. Lamela again put in a great shift. Not always magical but he is getting stronger and no longer a soft touch.
    Poch has brought the very best out of Dembele and anyone who thinks Spurs were poor today wants shooting!!! Hugo makes very few errors, but sadly today he slipped and let in a very soft goal. He then pulled off a couple of great saves.

At the back we are stronger than we have been for years. The midfield is strong. Dier, Alli, Dembele, Eriksen and Lamela all working hard and this is a team, that if it is kept together can do great things. We have beaten Man City, were very unlucky at United, drawn with Liverpool who lost today and now drawn against Arsenal.

With some sensible signings in the January window, Spurs should finish in the top four. Without a doubt.

So, moan if you wish, but for once I am not moaning because I can see a developing Spurs team and a manager who has us going in the right direction.

A little break now and then we go again.

Stop the moaning and start to believe!!!!!!!!

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!!!!

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Promising display, but we threw 2 points away as Scum were there for the taking.
    We def look a more solid outfit these days but we are still 2/3 worldies from being a serious out fit.
    Top 4 is well within our grasp but we need to stop giving points away and finish the job.
    A couple of Clever buys in January could really make this a big season.
    Im p;ssed off n pleased at the same time after that.
    At times we dominated and for a weak Scum side should of capitalised on it.

bruski, notnats, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mattj78

We should have won but with a very young team, we have to expect that mistakes will be made at times.

Can I just remind you all of a certain comment made a few years ago by a certain Alan Hansen: " you'll never win anything with kids."

4. Mick

Mick Member

Before the match would have been happy with the draw , but after todays performance disappointed not to have won. I felt it was a great all round team performance and the best I can remember at Arsenal for a long time. The only thing lacking was lack of clear cut chances created from our midfield dominance. Only one league defeat , we are making progress faster than I dared hope for with such a young team. All credit to the manager instilling such belief in the side. Thought Lamela's work rate exceptional he is improving game by game. Wanted to mention him because of the difficult time he has had since arriving at club. Top 4 is now looking possible and I never thought that at beginning of season

bruski, Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  5. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

First half especially was the best away half you'll see against anyone, by any team, bar none. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Whilst I see it as two points dropped, doubtless we will pick up undeserved points elsewhere so I'd say it balances. Gutted not to be able to abuse my friends tomorrow but other than that, a solid outcome.

bruski, Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  6. big fran Guest

Eriksen gave ozil a masterclass. Two signings off top four guarantee.

bruski and Mattj78 like this.
  7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

For me the team and the manager came of age. When was the last time you saw a team away from home dominate so much of the game.....and at the Emirates.

There were so many performances throughout the team and whilst it was so painful to not put the game to bed, it was great to see such a fantastic Lilywhite performance.

My sense is that our general lack of goals, or perhaps a decent second striker, as well as Son, will still hamper our push for CL, but let's bask in the glory of seeing the new Hotspurs.

COYS

bruski, notnats and Mattj78 like this.
  8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Everyone who has followed my posts on this site for the last 18 -24 months will know that I have been CONVINCED that Pochettino is the man to take this club new heights and I think most of you are now beginning to see why.

http://tottenhamlive.com/threads/users-guide-why-pochettino-is-a-spurfect-fit-for-tottenham.54/

Levy pulled of a MAJOR coup in signing the Argentine, and should be acknowledged not only for MP's arrival, but for the staunch backing/ support he has shown the Head Coach in his short but impressive reign thus far (i.e 5 year contract, pre-season arrangements, the acquisition of Paul Mitchell, signings and departures etc, etc)

Make no mistake people, the decision to change the clubs strategy, in terms of signings and vision is Levys. As was the decision to sign a manager who COMPLETELY shares the same vision and ambitions.

I think the fact that most people connected with THFC will be (slightly) disappointed with our point today tells you all you need to know about the direction this team/ club are heading in.

But considering the lads managed to compete at such a high level despite this being the 3rd game in 6 days, I think we can all find it relatively easy to overlook the 30 seconds we switched off for that led to their goal.

Like I ALWAYS say, Spurs and Pochettino are in a PROCESS of development. There will hard times as well as easy.

But what is CLEAR is that we have all of the ingredients in place to see the club we love grow.

So lets enjoy it, eh!

bruski, Bazza47, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mattj78

You know how much I love DL, but it appears now that he has at last listened to what the fans want which is stability. So you are right and so am I.

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

A strong and workmanlike performance. I'm certainly proud of the lads and we were desperately unlucky not to take all 3 points. However we must also learn from this today; a bit more intent to kill this type of game off. Convert the draws (e.g. Stoke, Everton, Pool, today etc) into a few more wins!

Alli, Kane, Mousa et al are pressing high and most importantly, in a coordinated and effective manner. Keep this level of performance and "top four" is certainly a realistic target this season.

For me, the most pleasing thing is the attitude Poch has installed. They are all an honest bunch, their young, talented and working extremely hard for each other - certainly a good platform to take us where we belong!

2 quality additions in January - PLEASE Danny Boy.

11. Alan McQueen New Member

Arsenal had a full 24 hours more rest time, and it maybe showed after 2 tough games Monday, Thursday, so the very fact that we were prepared to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, and not be pushed around at the emirates, that was a gutsy display. Its tough to find a rhythm against Arsenal, as to a man, they will niggle, pull shirts, clamber all over players from behind, anything to knock teams out of any normal rhythm, we stood up well to that today, Atkinson could have done more to have stopped some of that nonsense. Having said that, we have grown as a unit, and its the spine, Lloris, Jan, Toby, Dier, Kane, that makes it solid, Eriksen makes the team tick, Dembele is just reborn, Lamela understands workrate. I still worry about both full backs, defending they are both pulled around. Poch has for sure instilled a sense of belief, which comes from his will, clearing the deadwood out, dealing with Townsend quickly ( Stupid boy ) I also like the back ups, Trippier is a future leader, Son is a 1st 11 player, Mson is for me, poor. I like Bentaleb a lot, he will shine again. Amoha looks assured, Davies has grown into a solid left back. Njie, really has the pace to stretch teams after 60 minutes. Shame about the idiot Townsend. COYS from Canada!

12. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Fantastic team effort, every player prepared to roll up the sleeves and play for each other.
    There's been a real cohesion and understanding with this young group that hasn't been there for some time. How many tomes in the past have we described as clueless out there, not to mention the dreaded capitulation word. credit to Poch he seems to have finally instilled some purpose and team spirit. I still have some issues with the style of play but there's no doubt that we are a tougher unit and are proving to be hard to beat. Arsenal were lucky and they know it, I still wish we had a little more width and pace about us and the ability to kill off the big games more often but im not about to knock yesterdays massive effort especially after playing three times in a week.

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Just my two cents - drawing against these big teams means top four should be the target, beating them on days like yesterday, Liverpool and Everton would mean we should challenge seriously for the title. Am I really saying that?

Bazza47 likes this.
  14. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Lets hope the drawn games don't come back to bit us in the bumble. When you look back at them and given our 5th slot, it could and probably should have been so much better.

We now need to show our capability in the next two games, where we need 4 points at least, to show that we can run with the best.

Whilst we did have a bad spell around their equaliser, our energy levels were good despite three games in 6 days.

Oh to be young again 'eh.....COYS

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

I would have taken a draw before the game but the way we played we deserved a win! Controlling the match the way we did at the emirates was definitely the coming of age for out young squad and coach. MP is starting to get the best out of the core group of players and giving our academy players a chance. The future is bright, not only will we be challenging for top honors for the next couple of years but our youth academy will remain the best in the league.

16. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I am satisfied with the result. I am excited about the rest I see.

17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

As I ALWAYS say, Matt, it is EASY to declare the need for stability after a valiant display, great performance OR 11 game unbeaten run!

However, my friend, it is when the teams back is against the wall, when all others are doubting and when your average fan is looking for the latest scapegoat -that it REALLY matters!

In Pochettino, I firmly believe we have the finest manager in our EPL history, and that is NOT a view based on recent results (as you well know as I've always held him in the highest regard).

We have a team, WITHOUT spending fortunes, that has most of the qualities that any modern side should possess - athleticism, pace, power, fluidity, cohesion mental resolve, technical ability, ambition (etc) and the desire to improve.

Add to that one of the finest young managers in the game and the club is CLEARLY heading in the right direction.

These are exciting times....

18. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

On another note, can't wait to see Nabil return from his injury. According to his twitter he appears to be heading off for international duty with Algeria which is excellent news for the club. Will be like a new signing signing when he finally returns and will only strengthen our bid for glory.

Unfortunately, one player currently out who I DON'T see breaking into the 1st team picture this season is the extremely talented Alex Pritchard - unless the Spurs midfield is absolutely decimated by injuries.

I think another loan move beckons for Alex after his fitness issues this season, with the Spurs midfield looking well-stocked.

Hey, I would love to be proved wrong and see the kid starting a few games for the club, but after his lengthy lay-off Alex will need REGULAR 1st team football in order to aid his rehabilitation and development.

From the position he is in at the moment,I can't see him getting enough game time at Spurs this year in order to do that.

Personally, I think a loan move to another EPL side would be HUGELY beneficial to all parties, with a view to him coming back and having a FULL preseason with Poch next summer.

With Pritchard, Yedlin, Oduwa and Marcus Edwards all still to make their mark at Spurs, and a manager who is renowned for developing young talent, THFC might just be able to save themselves MILLIONS of pound in transfer fees whilst still remaining extremely competitive.

19. big fran Guest

Carter-Vickers is the one kid I'd love to come thru asap. Really caught my
    Eye with some mature performances and has all the attributes to be a quality centre half and has leadership qualities to boot.
    Hopefully get a run out in a cup ggame or two.

Ramos43 likes this.
  20. big fran Guest

Remember a few month ago saying one of the big problems at spurs was that we had no notable spine and an almost default starting 11 that all successful teams have. Chelsea are suffering from that problem at present. We have gone from chopping and changing trying to stumble on a best side to one that is virtually picks itself. Of course the players are equally responsible for this because its near on impossible if their form is up and down and not doing what the manager asks. Dembele one of my personal faves being a case in point. The way Townsend has been dealt with has really impressed me. You either fall in line with what the gaffer requires or you are omitted from the group. It seems that MP is prepared to meet players somewhere near half way if they are prepared to work hard and do the basics right. The silent assassin talksport called him the other day. Quite apt really!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button