DeAndre Yedlin Shines in USA loss to Mexico

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, October 11, 2015.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

The United States and Mexico were playing in a winner take all playoff to decide which team would represent the CONCACAF region in the 2017 Confederations Cup in Russia in 2017. While it’s unlikely many Spurs fans from England were able to watch the telecast (it started at 6:60 PM in Los Angeles, 2:30 AM in London), Spurs starlet DeAndre Yedlin proved why he could become a valuable asset to Tottenham in the near future.

Yedlin, who is currently plying his trade at Sunderland on loan came in as a late second half substitute. The score was level at one at the time and the US desperately needed an injection of pace. Yedlin provided it, all the while playing a sterling right back against a strong Mexican side featuring Chicharito, Oribe Peralta, and Andres Guardado.

The Mexicans broke through in the first extra time period through the center of the pitch (through no fault of DeAndre) and it looked dire for the Americans.

But, in the first few minutes of the second extra time period, we got a chance to see what will likely make Tottenham fans salivate. Yedlin picked up the ball in the center of the pitch and dribbled dangerously toward the Mexican goal. He then made a perfectly weighted pass into the run of Bobby Wood who finished with aplomb. The game was tied, and although Wood had a lot to do, Yedlin should get credit for making it happen.

Unfortunately for DeAndre and his teammates, all their good work was undone a few minutes from the final whistle as Paul Aguilar hit an absolutely stunning volley to win it.

Regardless, the future is bright for DeAndre Yedlin. I only hope he can have that future at Tottenham Hotspur.

2. Yedlin is nowhere within a hundred miles of getting in the Tottenham squad.
    Speed alone isn't going to cut it in the EPL. Yedlin is purely a marketing move by Spurs to
    help open up the American market but my bet is you'll never see him holding down a spot in the first team at Spurs. Plain and simple – he's not good enough. No skill on the ball and speed alone wont cut it.
    By the way, your description of his passing was generous. It was decent, nothing more. Expect him to stay at Sunderland and in the Championship (which is where Sunderland will be next year), or back in the MLS; where he can be a big fish.

3. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

Not going to completely argue your point, but when was the last time we saw a pass like that from our right back? Also, is Trippier clearly head and shoulders above Yedlin?

Felon82 likes this.
  4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with this, I've been impressed with Yedlin every time I've seen him play. I don't really rate trippier and walker relies solely on pace as he's not an intelligent player or defender in fact.

5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Saw him play in Sydney and was impressed with some aspects of his game but this kid is too much of a lightweight for a FB in this league and just isnt good enough to push for a place in this team. Like many other players weve bought over the last few years, im not sure why we got him in the first place.

6. big fran Guest

Draw particular notice to the ' substitute in a make or break game'!!
    Defo a marketing tool.

7. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

I like to think of it as "Impact Sub"

And anyway, having a guy come off the bench at the international level for a team like USA is better than what Trippier is providing at the international level right now. possibly ever.

Granted, England have a stronger international squad than the US, but my opinion is that DeAndre Yedlin will be a right side starter (defense or midfielder) in the US squad for the next ten years.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button