Davies and Vorm coming.....questions raised?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, July 20, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

It seems that at last Spurs have their first signings of the season and one player out of the door. The Ben Davies deal has been in the pipeline for some time but what interests me more is the introduction of Vorm as back up keeper for Lloris.

Cover up

Every good team must have a squad that has depth and two quality players in each position. One of the most important positions to have cover is the goalkeeper, so buying Vorm is not a major surprise but the question that immediately springs to my mind is why would Vorm really want to warm the bench at Spurs rather than playing every week. Vorm is a great keeper and undoubtedly a good player to have but he must know something that we don't.

In fact, I think what this proves is exactly what I said on this site very recently.

Lloris has signed a new five year deal, but I cannot believe that he would have signed unless he was made some promises and one in particular. Whilst I still believe that a sixth place finish would not be the worst thing in the world this season, I also believe that Lloris will have been told that the following season he will be playing for Spurs in the Champions league.

I suspect that Vorm has also been signed to take over once Lloris leaves!!!

Depth

Whilst I am still confident that we have a decent team for the season ahead, the one thing we do lack is strength in depth.

Maybe the signing of Vorm shows that we are being clever and making sure we have cover for if things go wrong? Personally, I think Lloris will be gone next season. Sorry.

Sixth is fine...but lower?

Pochettino is saying all the right things in his interviews so far and saying that he wants to win the league with Spurs will get most fans listening intently. However, saying we must start playing good football first is more important than where we finish at the end of the season, does fill me with concern.

Of course we want to see the Tottenham way being played, but when was the last time that actually did us any good?

I would love to see fast flowing football but if we finish tenth, then playing lovely Football is rather pointless.

This season is building up to very intriguing indeed, but for all the optimism I have with Pochettino at the helm, I am setting my sights rather lower than the top four because at least I can then be pleasantly surprised!!!

As ever, COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!!

2. Mozza Guest

Vorm would be on the bench for the Swans too. Very poor last season and Fabianski is a definite upgrade

3. Big Mal Guest

Vorm is an excellent signing, but there is no need to think of conspiracies just yet. Vorm will increase his wages and come to a big club; he'll get loads of Cup games at a club who could win one; lloris might get injured and, yes, he may think that Lloris could leave after a year. For Tottenham, if Lloris stays, Vorm will be around for 1 or 2 years. This is how long squad players (like Gylfi) last at big clubs.

4. Chazza Guest

Let' assume that Lloris' contract did have a top 4 finish for next season. Why wouldn't Spurs simply go and find a keeper - and a better one than Krul, at that - once it became clear Lloris would leave?
    A silly piece of paranoidal tripe and, without a ball being kicked in 14-15, it's negative beyond belief.
    Your avatar says it all. You're a dog.

5. Phil Guest

The way Pochetinno wants to play is the right way to win football matches and we have the players to do it. I was far more concerned when it became obvious AVB was playing defensive football with a squad full of attacking talent. It's was just barmy. Pochetinno's philosophy is to attack and defend as a team by getting players to transition from defence to attack or vice versa very quickly and that is very very effective. If he pulls it off then we could have an excellent season as well as being very entertained

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Dan Guest

I feel I should mention Vorm won a cup competition rather more recently than us, so I do not see that as a reason for signing on. It is a step up for his career and I have to agree with the author here, Lloris will only have signed up for a five year deal if he had an escape clause included. Benefits the club too as he value would be all the greater with the long contract. Seems to be rumour at the moment anyway, I've seen no official reports of Spurs interest in Vorm. It's going to be tough this season, everyone above us last term is or has strengthened already and with little movement in the market from us last years investments need to come good. I for one believe Soldado might thrive this year with a better suited system. Fingers crossed eh...? COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Trigspur Guest

Hopefully the signing of Davies will address the problem of left back which has been a bit of a weakness for us in recent years. Not since the days of Paulo tramazzani have we had a quality left back. He may even have been right back such were his qualities!!!!!!!!!!
    It's understandable for people to have cynical views on long term contracts particularly when levy's the chairman but I hope that this season we really start to see a spurs team taking shape that plays the football we all want to see and touch wood bloody win something. Audere est facere. Tottenham till I die!!!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Mattj78

I will probably stop laughing in an hour a two!!
    The article simply asks a question and that's a pretty intelligent thing for a dog to do.

9. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Agree, its very unfair to suggest Matts article is paw!

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. ginge Guest

What are you smoking Trig.
    Paulo tramazzani was the single worst player barring none, to have ever played (if you can call it that he was that bad) for us. hence him playing a total of about 6 games before being got rid of.

11. Mattj78

Vorm is no doubt a good signing as I have said and Davies will be a great player in my opinion. He has pace and his crosses are good which is something we have been lacking for a few years now. Looking at sixth position is not about being negative but about having realistic expectations. We have a lot of dead wood at the moment and it is understandable that they need to be sold if other players are to be brought in. The problem Spurs have with selling the likes of Dawson etc is that we will not get loads for them, and they are also on good deals at Spurs so are digging their heals in with any club that wants to sign them.
    Pochettino has the ability to get the best out of the team he has, but I just don't think we are better than the likely too four at this stage. I will be elated with a top for finish but sixth is realistic for Pochettino in his first season. Anything less though would be a disaster. Oh, the UEFA cup would be useful too!!

12. Mattj78

Trig is not saying that Tramazzani was good. Read it again and you will notice extremely obvious sarcastic tones in what he says. Very obvious in fact.

13. ginge Guest

ah.

I stopped reading before the sarcasm.

note to self, always finish reading the entire comment before posting.

as you were trig

Mattj78 likes this.
  14. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Not getting too worked up about the Vorm rumours just yet, good backup for Hugo and a good bit of business for the reported 5m but its another, ill believe it when I see it for me. More importantly the Davies deal is looking close and also a good bit of business if the reports of 10m for Davies, 10m for Siggy deal is true. Its not a straight swap as such but it does look like the deals are being done. Good luck to Siggy if he is off, decent player and one of the few MFs at Spurs that can find the net.

15. Anon Guest

At Arsenal Fabianski was known as Flappyhandski, and this is an upgrade? I don't think so.

16. Kim Guest

What you are saying makes very little sense.

Vorm is exchanging a season on the bench at Swansea for a season on the bench at Spurs (having already been replaced by a former number 2), so he is improving his position and (I assume), increasing his earnings and bettering his lifestyle. There are obviously a very limited number of top flight positions available for goalkeepers, and the offers were not there for Vorm, so he's taking an improved number 2 position rather than dropping down the leagues.

Even if what you are saying had a shred of truth to it, would a 30 year old keeper already playing first team football really accept a year on the bench for the promise of first team football if he held any serious ambitions? Vorm is a decent keeper but he will never be first choice for a team with Champions League ambitions, and Spurs aren't taking him as understudy to Lloris, helping him to develop into a better keeper.

Maybe if Vorm was under 25 I'd see your argument, but if Lloris was to leave at the end of the upcoming season then Spurs would be back in the market for a first choice keeper.

17. big fran Guest

Vorm would be a complete n utter waste of resources at 5m pound and
    whatever in wages at 30 yr old with little or no re sale value. Friedel is still more than capable of playing 10-15 games a season and cost nothing. Put the money towards a centre half..

Mattj78 likes this.
  18. Mattj78

If the deal was for Vorm and Davies in return for Siggy, then I could understand, but the situation appears to be very different with Sky Sports news saying that Davies has joined up with the Spurs squad in the US but pen has not yet been put to paper and that Vorm is in talks over a £5 million pound move with Siggy simply going there on loan.
    I really cannot see why we need to spend £5 million on a keeper.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button