Could/Should Danny Rose be a Midfielder?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, December 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

I'm in no way trying to mix things up for the sake of mixing them up. Danny Rose is the best left back in the Premier League and he's starting to look like one of the top at his position in the world, so I'm not advocating for a change. I'm just saying that Tottenham have had some experience moving pacy left backs with a blistering shot up the field.

When Gareth Bale moved into the role of attacking winger, he began to flourish. He scorched opposing defenses with his pace and, once he figured things out, he began to pop into places where the ball would find him more often. But before that, he rampaged down the flanks, terrorizing opponent's right backs. Once he was "relieved" of his defensive duties, he obviously became more dangerous. Could the same argument be made for Rose?

Let's be clear. Danny Rose's strike to win the game against Burnley was a striker's strike. He smashed it. It's arguably the best short range goal Spurs have scored all season. And don't forget the run that he made into the box that led to his assist on Eriksen's first in the Hull match. Splendid. When Spurs played three at the back, Rose was given more freedom, and he decimated Hull. When it was clear that Burnley had nothing coming down Rose's side, he got great joy going forward in a Man of the Match performance. Could Spurs benefit from doing it more often?

I'm not quite sure Mauricio Pochettino is ready to go with three centrebacks all the time, especially against some of the bigger teams in the Premier League and Europe. But if a stay at home left sided defender is needed, Ben Davies has shown he can fill that role. Danny could slide in front of him and give the other team more to think about. It seems that Tottenham have missed some of Erik Lamela's ability to run right at defenders, and Danny Rose would slot right into that role. He has shown the ability to take on defenders and create opportunities for Tottenham attackers in the box.

Now obviously, a position change is a difficult task. It's probably an idea that should happen in the preseason when there is time to institute it properly, time to let Danny and his teammates gel together. And there's another question to ask: would a big club from Spain, Italy, France, or Germany come calling for Rose as a midfielder? Should he succeed in his new role at Spurs, would the draw of succeeding abroad for one of the biggest names in world football interest him?

These are all hypotheticals of course, but with Danny Rose doing what he did to defenders in a few recent matches, the question of a position change might be asked sooner rather than later.

2. Druid

Druid New Member

No - Rose adds considerable strength defensively. Rose and Dawson need no dickering with at this stage.

3. johnnyhrvat Guest

Rose has definitely matured mentally - 18 months ago he was still very suspect, losing his cool, arguing with referees and generally more of a liability than an asset. Now he is keeping his head down and reading the game much better.
    Poch will not however play him at left midfield and because Poch persists with Wanyama in midfield, Rose has less chances to get forward. With Dier in midfield, who then drops back to form a three-man defence when we are in possession, Rose, and Walker, have the freedom to get upfield. Poch is really banging a square peg into a round hole with Wanyama and it is to the detriment or the wingbacks and to the width of the team.

4. egg Guest

He was a left winger when we signed him

5. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

If anyone wondered why The Ram ALWAYS stated that Danny Rose had all the tools to go on to become a top-class LB, despite the majority of people thinking he wasn't fit to wear a Spurs shirt (or even play in the EPL), then wonder no more!! :cool:

Because, not only has he done that, but he has gone on to become one of the very BEST LBs in Europe!!

Amazing what somebody having a bit of faith in you, being a forward- thinker, and providing ya with the right coaching, can do, eh. ;)

Bazza47 likes this.
  6. MT1882 New Member

Rose has developed into a brilliant left back that can get forward and trouble defenses, but could he become an out and out left midfielder? My opinion is no, he doesn't have the same quick feet or skill that bale had and not quite enough finesse. Keep him where he is imo and let's enjoy having a superb left back for once

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Rose already a left winger before being made a makeshift LB?

He's now adapted to his role as a left wing back well because his positional sense has improved dramatically which has came with experience.

I think he's best doing what he's doing, we need better attacking midfielders imo and to keep Rose as an alternative outlet.

(And as good as he has improved he's no Bale)

Ram where yer been ????

8. Muhoo Guest

Playing dier in midfeild would improve rose/walkers consistance even more with he's long range passing rather than having two headless chickens in dembele,wanyama,

9. Big fran Guest

Great debate but like you say Rose is not far from being considered world class in his current position so I would question moving him further forwards. Its worth a trial maybe in a game sometime in the future but the problem would be replacing him. Davies has shown to be a steady understudy as has trippier to walker but not probably good enough week in and our for a teaming dreaming of titles.
    The question merely highlights our lack of quality in the wide areas particularly in the absence of lamela. So the answer would be to find a solution to that problem or play with wingbacks with our current two being ideal for that role.
    However this would highlight another problem that we are a centre half short. I believed us to be well stocked in that area in the summer but dier has really struggled and Vickers not quite made the breakthrough yet. Also to play that system we will need to control the central midfield area better. More questions than answers for me.

10. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

I doubt whether I've seen a better Spurs left back performance for many a day. Gareth Bale against Inter, sure, but look what he's gone on to achieve.

He was on fire. My cousin gave him 9 1/2 out of 10....which I thought was harsh, and Matt78 gave him an 11.

I've rarely seen such an outstanding full court performance, and being a lefty myself, I always look to see what left sided talent the side has, in order to balance the dominant right sided players that most PL sides have.

It was great to watch.

COYS

11. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Rose was indeed a left midfielder before he joined. Could he be a left sided midfielder? He kind of already is!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button