Clinical treatment: lacking the trait of a true 'top club'

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, March 8, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Sissoko and Lamela might protect the backs but if that is all they bring then it is not enough,in to day's game they need more and they have nothing to offer,Lamela when he decides to play can give a little but Sissoko is a waste of space..COYS..

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  2. johnnyhrvat Guest

Quite right Nomadico. I'll repeat the stats again - 1.5 points a game with Sissoko, over 2 points a game without him. That is a 20-point season loss if Sissoko played the whole campaign. Every opponent dreams that he will be in our starting line-up!
    Lamela was awful when he came to Spurs - he is less awful now and has the ability to be a 'wildcard joker', but he is not a player one wants on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Bazza47, Nomadico and Felon82 like this.
  3. Big Fran Guest

Did u watch the game lol...
    The full bks needed protection in this game once we were under the cosh v a 424 system. Just watched the Sunday supplement a show in which four top football journalists discuss the weeks topics round a breakfast table.. The general concensus is that Poch gets an easy ride off the press due to his media friendly PR persona and likeability etc. Saying mourinho wenger conte guardiola would have got panned off the press for what happened Wednesday.. Agree????

Bazza47 likes this.
  4. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Sorry Big Fran,I only get to see what the Yank TV give out,at times a live match but mostly highlights..COYS

5. Jam Guest

Spurs all competitions.. 44 games.. ~ 2 points/game

Sissoko all competitions.. 22 starts.. ~ 1.9 points/game

If you only want to look at the EPL (a meagre 12 starts out of 29 games @ 1.75 points/game) then perhaps you should also find some way to factor in his 13 sub appearances as well @ 2.2 points/game

In short.. there is little to no difference in Spurs output when Sissoko plays

6. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Did you notice his little mx up with his feet, as he passed to Trippier for Aurier's goal - it was local junior football stuff. For me there is just not enough. No goals, no assists. He's an attacking midfielder isn't he...

7. Jam Guest

Ha Baz I did.. amusingly his mistouch created the lane for his perfectly weighted ball to Trippier.

Sissoko is definitely not an attacking midfielder.. the French coach will tell you that.. midfield right to centre is probably his most natural position.. his utility being one of his strengths. As such he should not necessarily be judged on goals/assists.

My ultimate appraisal of Sissoko is this.. yes technically he is mercurial.. he can go from the sublime to the woeful.. but there's no denying he has some skill.. particularly on the dribble driving at defenders. He can also pick a forward pass.. as he's shown numerous times this season.. and is good in the tackle.

His greatest attribute though is his physicality. There are few players in football.. none at Spurs.. with his size, strength and speed. . he is a beast. Anyone who's played a decent level of football will know that such a player.. with a modicum of skill.. is not a pleasure to play against.

Given also that he is an unselfish team player with a good workrate.. then this is what Pochettino was alluding to some weeks ago when he spoke of him.

He is a good player.. or as Deschamps would say.. a good soldier.. not great.. but good.

Gordon Mc and Bazza47 like this.
  8. Bazza47

That's a good and interesting alternative view of him Jam that I'd not previously seen....perhaps he'll surprise me even yet....

9. Gordon Mc

Gordon Mc Well-Known Member

Can see plenty of merit in your argument overall Jam - but a part of it brings a smile to me. It reminds me of a Leighton James quote many years ago when discussing Steve Kindon, his former Burnley colleague who moved to Wolves.
    "Speed of a racehorse, strength of a carthorse, brains of a rocking horse"

burnt likes this.
  10. Nomadico Well-Known Member

A true picture of Sissoko,a very lazy player who offer's nothing to the team...

11. Jam Guest

Baz if I could 'like' your comment then I would. Clearly you're a fair and open minded fellow regardless of whether you ultimately agree or not. I respect that.

Gordie I agree that is a funny quote.. I can think of a few players who've plyed their trade in England over the years to whom that would apply.. I don't think Sissoko's football IQ is necessarily his problem though.

Nomadico given that by your own admission you rarely get to watch games I'm not sure how it is you're in a position to offer such a definitive opinion.. as considerate and well thought out as it is.

12. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Jam, Clearly you have never watched a US based sports program,we carry every game live and depending what state you are in can watch it at a decent hour plus our "Highlights" cover every thing from heartbeat to how may step's any player takes while on the pitch,at the end a chart is made to show his worth to the team,Sissoko has always been in the bottom 3,the rest is made by my own opinion when I do get the chance to watch a full live game

Felon82 likes this.
  13. Jam Guest

Clearly they've never shown the stat where he's been clocked as the fastest player in the league.

I've watched a plethora of US sport in my time and lived there for a period.. I'm a fan of all the major leagues.. so I'm well aware of America's love for meaningless statistics.

Football is a game that clearly doesn't translate well to metrics.. too fluid and too nuanced. Only the broadest team based statistics and some general player analytics have any merit in discussion.. and even those can often be proven pointless and misleading.. as we saw the other night.

So with all due respect.. compiling an objective metric to evaluate each player's worth to the team following a result is a laughable concept.. and shows a complete lack of appreciation for the subtlety of the sport.

Sissoko has been rated by successful managers such as Deschamps, Klopp, Wenger, Benitez, Pochettino.. he was man of the match against Germany in the last Euro semi final and was acknowledged as France's best in the final.. that is football at the highest level.

You don't have to rate him.. even the best managers disagree on players.. but to suggest he's 'very lazy', 'a waste of space' and 'offers nothing to the team'? Well your opinion in this instance is clearly uninformed and without value.

I've said enough about Sissoko.. you would think he's my favourite player.. he is not. I just find it disrespectful that one of our own.. an earnest team player.. is subjected to such constant abuse by certain supporters of the club.

Even poor old Soldado.. ultimately a far less effective player for Spurs.. never copped this much grief.. so you know I'm beginning to question people's motivations.

Bazza47 likes this.
  14. Bazza47

LOL..

15. Bazza47

Steve "The Train" Kindon....jet propelled he was...

16. burnt Well-Known Member

Sissoko , the fastest player in the league ???? In what context ???

He's probably the fastest to get criticised , I'll give you that but in any other context I'll take some convincing ... I know he's not slow , but the fastest ....

17. Jam Guest

Clocked on pitch in game.. fastest during the 15/16 season.. fastest the previous year as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Sissoko-Premier-League-s-fastest-player.html

This season.. and last I believe.. he's clocked in third.. at the same pace.. Sané is the new speed king.. as Trippier would no doubt tell you.

18. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Jam,It was over a year ago that Sissoko played the Euro final's and a lot has happened since then,his transfer was based on what he did then, alas since then he has shown nothing to value his worth to Spurs,maybe if he returned to the lower French leagues he might show his true level...

19. Gordon Mc

Gordon Mc Well-Known Member

Probably not Jam and I'm not qualified to dispute one way or the other - I've always thought it was quite an amusing line and partly relevant to throw in to lighten the debate. It's getting way too serious for me.

20. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Sorry Gordon not my intention..

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button