Chiriches set for Tottenham exit

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, July 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Sky Sports journalist Graeme Bailey is reporting that Tottenham Hotspur defender Vlad Chiriches could be leaving the club soon as it has arose that he doesn’t feature in Mauricio Pochettino’s plans.

Bailey tweeted that reports in various countries suggest Chiriches could be set for a move to Serie A.

Chiriches set to leave

“Reports in Romania and Italy claim Chiriches is not in Mauricio Pochettino’s plans and will leave Tottenham for Serie A soon,” Bailey tweeted.

The Romanian defender was not in the Spurs squad selected to tour the United States but it was reported at the time that this was due to stiffness in his lower back.

Brazilian Sandro also failed to make the squad, and like Chiriches, it was down to a medical issue – a virus – but with the defensive midfielder also linked with a move away, it could have been a message to the pair to find a new club.

Fake injury?

The latest reports on Chiriches certainly suggest that and the 24-year-old could now be leaving north London after just one season.

He signed last year from Steaua Bucharest and initially impressed in his opening few matches but as the season wore on the Romanian struggled and ended the league campaign with just 17 Premier League appearances.

Roma his next move…

Only a couple of days ago Romania TV reported that AS Roma were interesting in signing the defender and they speculated then that he didn’t feature in Pochettino’s plans.

It now seems those early reports may be true and that Chiriches could exit White Hart Lane this summer.

2. Chris Guest

Hmmm...that's a very very strange one...
    If anything, Spurs need to strengthen at centre back. With Dawson aging and not the quickest (and therefore you wonder about his ability to fit ito Poch's high tempo game), Kaboul very injury prone, selling Chiriches would leave just Vertonghen the only other recognised centre back. I find it hard to believe they'll let him go without one or more replacements lined up.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  3. Jamie Guest

Bang on Chris... no way he can go unless there are at least 2 centre backs coming in. Daws (love him as i do) is another year older and also needs to go, sadly...so make that 2 or 3 centre backs needed!!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  4. Spursman Guest

We are,apparently interested in Benatia from Roma. Could be an upgrade deal where we trade in Vlad for Benatia plus cash.

5. Rubbish, vlad is a top defender and we need top defenders ! Or should we think benny the nutter is part of our plans lol how are some people reports ?

6. sam-spurs Guest

I agree, seems a bit of a coincidence that Baldini is at Roma now trying to get a couple of players from them. Having done the sigurdsson deal as a part of the of the swansea it seems to be the trend for leavey to do this type of deal so far and it makes sense if you think about it, no waiting for suitable clubs to come calling and waiting for long drawn out deals to happen before we can buy.

7. Jai Guest

From media sources in Rome , it is believed that Vlad C. and Sandro will go to AS Roma and in exchange for another 15 million , Mehdi Benatia and Mattia Destro will come to Spurs . Roma have struggled for a good central defensive midfielder for the past 2 seasons and Sandro will fit in well . Sandro's place will be taken by Morgan Schneiderlin from Southampton . Vlad C is a decent defender and will fit well in Roma and since Spurs are looking for a quality defender , Benatia is wonderful ! They will be a tough side in the premiere league this season

8. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I don't see any positives in selling chiriches. He looks good and we should be keeping him not selling. Strange if it proves to be true.

9. PluckySpur Guest

I think Jai is correct, and from what I remember during the TSherwood period, Vlad wasn't playing much 'due to injuries'.

My point ties into what Lloris has said several times (and Sherwood talked about also) which is that some of the players weren't focused on playing (my words) . Maybe disillusioned with the junk that happened last season - just a guess. IF this is true, then, no matter how good a player is they should probably move on.

Personally, I really liked Sigi, Vlad, and Sandro, but based on last season, I could see them wanting to leave. I hope the best for them.

10. Michael Guest

The only way we would let Chircheş go to Roma is in exchange for Benatia. I wouldn't be upset with Sandro leaving if we could get a striker like Destro in return. I do believe that Chircheş would be a perfect match for the Italian game as he loves to make a run forward and loves to have the ball at his feet. I can see him becoming quite the star there. Unfortunately I think the English game doesn't allow for what he loves to do most. I don't mean to say he isn't capable of doing a very good job for us but I worry about his discipline in possession and on set pieces. I would be more than happy to have Chircheş start next to Vertonghen as long as we can secure a young traditional CB as insurance because of his injury concerns.

The need for another striker is clear and present for the club. If we need to lose Sandro as a make-weight in order to sign a striker like Mattia or Origi then I will gladly pay the cab fare. It is not as if I dislike Sandro as a person or as an enforcer, but our system is different under Pochettino. We will rely on a single pivot defensive midfielder and there is some talent behind him in Capoue. Capoue seems to be the better passer and has more experience playing between the two CB's when forces to drop on the break. I know Sandro could handle the same job perfectly well but he should be swapped if we have the opportunity for a striker. Blasphemy I know, but this is a different era and a different team with new needs. Sandro can be reckless and doesn't have the vision for the forward pass that is required as the main passer of the ball. I like having Dembele in a forward role but it is likely for him to be used in the same manner as Capoue. These things, along with the REAL emergence of Bentaleb, leads me to believe Sandro has become surplus. He would be missed more for his personality and style with which he plays the game, than for the end product he produces. Sincerely I hope I am wrong and he will be one of many to play the pivot role for us, but the need for a striker is serious.

Three more players to come in please Mr. Baldini, Mr. Levy, and Mr. Pochettino? My ideal trio would be Toby Aiderweild, Grietzmann, and Benteke. Although any Spurs fan would be just as happy with a trio of Micah Richards, Yehven Konoplyanka, and Origi.

If we really have ambitions like those of which convinced Hugo to sign on for another 5 years...we cannot afford to rest on our laurels and we should upgrade the positions we have questions about. Especially CB and CST.

Take it easy on me....its 4am.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button