Chelsea for lunch

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, November 28, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

After a journey to the centre of the Earth, or at least it seems that far, Spurs are back in Premier league action tomorrow at White Hart Lane in the final part of our recent London Derby games.
    With Spurs having dominated Arsenal for 75 minutes and gaining a point and then making easy work of West Ham with a stunning 4-1 victory last time out, we now welcome Chelsea to the lane.

Chelsea have all but thrown their premier league title challenge out of the pram with most of their toys and Spurs are currently playing with confidence and are surely favourites to get all 3 points.
    What it will show us us is how good this Spurs team are against a team that will park the bus. I've always found Mourinho's moans about teams parking the bus hypocritical as that's what he based most of his teams success on. Defending and then getting goals on the break. In fact, Chelsea's title team last season sent me to sleep most times I saw them. Well, until we dispatched them that is!!

Harry Kane is in a rich vein of form, Son will start , with Eriksen , Dembele and then either Mason or Lamela coming in to replace the suspended Alli. And it will be how the replacement of Alli performs that may have a big influence on the outcome of this match.

In the week, I felt Mason was poor with his passes going astray far too often and he can't afford to do that against even a poor Chelsea team.
    He is a good player but he needs to be at his very best tomorrow. Dier is the enforcer in front of our excellent defence this season and hopefully our defensive record will still be in tact come the end of Sunday lunch.

If Spurs play as they did against West Ham, I have to say I believe we will win this game and close the gap at the top of the table.

I'm hoping that for my Sunday lunch this weekend, I will be enjoying a Chelsea Roast!!

As ever, Come on you Spuuuuuurrrrrrrsssssss!!!!!!!!!

Jonesy, John Pitt and Nomadico like this.
  2. Tommy Guest

If we play like we did against Wet Sham then i can see us winning but just a bit concerned about a bit of tiredness after the Thursday game and travelling and only one day rest! Poch is right when he says we are at a disadvantage with less recovery time.
    I'm going for 2-1 Spurs win Kane and Son!
    Coys!

3. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Mattj78
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Mason,he is just back from injury,the concern for me will be Chelsea winding up spurs for the red cards there is no other way they can beat us football wise.

John Pitt and Mattj78 like this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I think in fairness you are right about Mason, he is just a bit rusty. The one that worries me about Spurs and getting red cards is Rose. He was starting to lose his head against Wets and he needs to not get involved in any goading from Chelsea which is all they are currently any good at doing. COYS!!

John Pitt likes this.
  5. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since we were on the verge of a Chelski match where we go into the game in such a rich vein of form.
    Last seasons 5-3 came out of the blue. Tomorrow we have high expectations, tinged with more than a little bit of nervousness because we do struggle with them and we may just be a little fatigued by a 5k miles round trip.
    I, like Matt, thought Mason looked lack lustre on Thursday and he will have to step up to be good enough to cover for Alli.
    We need to be tighter than a ducks Harris in winter, not give away any silly bookings, start strong and play with all the confidence we have shown against City, the Gooners and Wet Spam.
    Feeling keyed up but that's not a bad thing...COYS

Jonesy, John Pitt and Mattj78 like this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

This is the game to lay down a real marker; a statement of intent. I think it's imperative to get the 3 points and open the gap to 13 points on Chelski. Achieve this and top 4 is well within our grasp.

We are more than capable of doing that lot tomorrow. Admittedly Alli is a huge miss, but we should be able to handle this - especially if we consider ourselves to be challenging top 4.

Poch and the boyz need to keep the focus, press (as a unit) and get stuck into Costa from the off. No fouls round the edge of the box, otherwise Willian will hurt us.

COYS, we are young, energetic and now have undoubted pride for the shirt! Out of the blocks from the off and be ruthless in front of goal = 3 points. Nuff said.

Remy Uwilin likes this.
  7. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Good point Jonesy, Willian's set plays will be our biggest worry. We need to be focus on all our set plays, I expect Toby & Jan to shutdown Costa. Mason will need to step up replacing Alli but with Dembele controlling the middle, Mason can focus on being aggressive playing behind Kane with Eriksen and Son/Lamela.
    Tough to see who will start Son or Lamela, I like what Son offers going forward...but Lamela helps more on defense. Our wingbacks will have to play smart and not get caught on the counter, Dier has played so well that most of their mistakes have gone unnoticed. After having being rested, I expect Walker/Rose to be energetic and disruptive going forward and backward!

Let's go:
    Lloris, Walker Toby Jan Rose, Dier Dembele, Eriksen Mason Son, Kane

COYS

8. Chris #2 Guest

I agree. We are not even half-way through the season, and with the players Chelsea has, it would surprise me if they dont end in top 5-6. Increasing the gap today would help to keep them out of top 4.

9. 71yid

71yid Member

I think we have set a new record now, 13 games unbeaten in PL. However, im a little disappointed we cudnt get one ova this lot but it has to be said that Chelski turned up today and in particular, Hazard as always looked a threat. Son had a couple of gud chances but on the whole, our attacking impetus petered out for most of the second half. Still when alls said n done, we looked tight at the back with Toby A grabbing the motm award. As ever COYS!

10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

After a good 1st half, we just became flat in the 2nd.
    My concern is that when what we do well doesn't work or begins to fade, we have very little options or a back up plan.
    As the season wears on i can see this being an issue when injuries and fatigue set in.
    Good 1st half dull 2nd 0-0 fair result imo, shame we didn't have enough to get 3 points.
    Three big games on the bounce and we've come through well though.

11. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Not a bad point. Players just looked shattered but Sanchez just appears to have ripped his hamstring. Bloody marvellous

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button