Change the record! PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 2-0 Chelsea

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 4, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Against Man City at home we were superb but tonight we were fabulous! The strength, the way we bullied Chelsea and out fought and out thought them was excellent. Tonight showed that we have matured from last seasons battle of the Bridge. The way we handled Chelsea meant they just could not function as they have been.
    So, Chelsea's record is gone and even the Chelsea fans got it very wrong by singing , "Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that". I'm sure I don't need to set that record straight here!

The back 3 is really working for Spurs. And what an atmosphere at the Lane.
    As I start to slowly peel myself back off the ceiling, I will leave it here for now and offer my player ratings.

Lloris- 8: One great save from Costa early in the second half although his passing still scares me.

Dier- 8: Looks much more comfortable in a back 3 and was composed tonight.

Vertonghen-8: Excellent. Assured with Toby and even marauding forwards. Great game.

Alderweireld-9: Marshalled the defence brilliantly. Even getting forward in the last 10 minutes. Such an essential part of Spurs now and in the future. Brilliant.

Rose- 9:
    Gets better and better. Almost unplayable at times tonight.

Walker-9: Trippier will have felt sad to lose his place after his efforts against Watford but Walker showed why he is first choice. Quick, great tackling and offered width when needed.

Wanyama-9: What a player this lad is and we saw tonight that he also has skill and a good turn of pace. Underrated but a great signing.

Dembele-8: Great game. Strong on the ball. Occasionally lax with some passes but back to his best. Looked shattered when he left the field.

Alli-10: What can I say? Brilliant movement and 2 great goals. Absolutely stunning.

Eriksen-9: Who taught this lad to cross! How s best performance this season.

Kane- 6: We won 2-0 and Kane wasn't really in the game. Still love him though.

Sissoko-: N/A

Son - N/A

Winks-7 Played well when he came on. Showed maturity.

Pochettino-10: For all the criticism that I and others have thrown at Poch at times, he deserved to hear his name sung so passionately by the Spurs fans tonight. Tactics, team selection all bang on.

Good night and COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!

Remy Uwilin, Bazza47, Jonesy and 2 others like this.
  2. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Well said, and I agree with the ratings !!! Thought Toby was outstanding. Give him 10 Matt !!

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Yiddo yiddo yiddo yiddo

Yiddo yiddo yiddo yiddo

COYS! !!!!!!!!

Chavscum what's the score

Chavscum Chavscum what's the score

It'll be a great day at work tomorrow!

Bazza47, Spurporter and Mattj78 like this.
  4. Mattj78

He was so good tonight I'd consider giving him 1!!

5. Mattj78

Got to give credit to manager and team tonight mate. Huge win and showed great maturity.

Felon82 likes this.
  6. 71yid

71yid Member

Absolutely delighted with this teams performance tonight, showed real passion and commitment and hard graft throughout. We had everything to prove and everything to play for and Poch and his players have done us proud.....finally we are getting the better of this mouthy arrogant lot from West London...long may it continue! A very happy Yid me!!!!

Bazza47, Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Huge win and an important 3 points.

A proper performance and back in the mix!!! Maximum points return over the festive period, spot on.

COYS

Mattj78, Bazza47, 71yid and 1 other person like this.
  8. Josh B Guest

Agree everywhere other than Wanyama. Was my MoTM, absolutely superb in there. Best performance from him I've seen this season.

COYFS

71yid and Mattj78 like this.
  9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We must use this as a spring board now to put a serious run together.

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Spurporter like this.
  10. Kane Guest

Great performance coys !! Very disaplined at the back which is so important against the other top five teams . We really need to keep at the same level now in terms off the amount off goals were starting to score and go on a run now after city and Liverpool away we have 12 games all should wins before the scum at home . we need to push chavski all the way and go Into every game with the same mentality as tonight it's No coincidence we look much better now without these extra games which makes me wonder how will go about the Europa league ? Plus does anyone know why Jansen wasn't on the bench tonight ? We really need a reliable forward to call upon If Harry gets injured again coys !!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  11. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Boys were all great this evening. Alli is on fire, this kid will only get better and we ought to hold on to him if we'll challenge for anything. Matt - Kane 6?? That's too harsh, where do you think Alli was getting all the space from. Kane attracted Luiz and Cahill attention and that's how Alli was able to get open...also with his great movement off the ball. Toby gets a 10 for me, we're so much better defensively when he's in the team. Everyone get's 8 or 9s, what a game and Alli get's 10. 2 goals in all the last 3 games, may he keep it going!!!

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Spurporter like this.
  12. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Exactly my words, Remy. Beat me to it... COYS!!!

Remy Uwilin and Mattj78 like this.
  13. burnt Well-Known Member

Well ,Well Well Chavski , think your going turn up to break some record in your last ever game at W.H.L .....
    " Not on my watch "

Impressive , professional , mature performance from all last night ... It was a big night for us , a big game in a lot of ways so it was a very pleasing outcome ... Some big games coming up between the top 6 between now and end of month .. 5 points between 2nd and 6th place and very little between the sides ... Some race on now , great to be in the middle of it ... We have the chance to put a bit of pressure of our own on this time , early game next Sat week , Brom at home ... Mr Pulis , our fav opponent .... lol , leave that for another day .... C.O.Y.S ........

Bazza47, Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  14. johnnyhrvat Guest

Have to agree with a couple of the comments on here - I half expected to see Cahill and Luiz sitting either side of Harry on the bench when he got taken off just before the end - barely touched the ball but was excellent.

Mattj78 likes this.
  15. guesty Guest

Pochy moving to 3 at the back is something that has been discussed on here.....even last season...but for Pochy to actually now have it in pocket....and be willing to use it.....is something that has shown progression from him as a manager. It clearly works for us.....as in 4231 we are at times suspect wide in our half of the pitch. If we play with attacking full backs....3 at the back is better suited to us. so good to see Pochy using it.

Also.....a huge call last night to put Winks on. he's an okay player....not as direct as our otherr midfielders....but what a massive shown of support from Pochy to out him into the fire.

we never buckled as a team from start to finish. We kept Hazard and Costa quiet. ......and I was pleased that Will.i.an and Fabregas didn't play more

great win

COYS

Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  16. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

This was, without doubt, one of the great Spurs performances at The Lane.

This was Chelski, the form team, who we have rarely beaten in PL history. A great game to be present at, we saw the lads play out of their skins.

The atmosphere and support from the fans throughout the night was awesome, responded to with interest by all of the team, in a truly emphatic way.

I've recorded it and will watch it again ...... and again. It shows what we are capable of.

Believe Yiddos!!!

COYS

Last edited: January 8, 2017
    Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  17. Ollie Guest

I'm such a massive Dembele fan. You say he was occasionally lax with some passes. Feel that's a bit harsh as he had a 97% pass success rate the highest of any player. I have so much more confidence when Dembele is on the team sheet. He is such an underrated player, doesn't grab the headlines, but for me it's him that makes Spurs tick. However great team performance with possibly only Kane slightly below par.

Bazza47, Mattj78 and Deggsy56 like this.
  18. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

'The Moose' even got fwd dribbled among em and had a shot ! That's confidence!!

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  19. Big fran Guest

As many if the regulars of the site would know if been saying for a long time that we are ideally suited to playing with a back 3 due to the fact of our lack of quality in wide areas offensive wise and the absolute quality tailor made wing backs we have in rose and walker. (Would suit England also - but that's a whole other story!!!)
    However even I thought this was too big of a game versus a team superior in their execution of the system. Boy was I wrong!! The big debate on listening to talk sport was a combined chav/spurs 11 the main consensus who had the better wingbacks. For me thier wasn't even a question prior to the match and post match thier certainly isn't given both thiers were hauled off!!
    I also had reservations over dier playing right side of the 3 as I felt hazard may have been too quick. Wrong again big Fran..
    The system offers so much flexibility within it also as thier are many combos to lining up your MIDs and attackers. Last night we played with two number tens so kante and matic didn't k ow whether to stick or twist. Chelsea play the narrow front three which is fine v poor opposition where you dictate the ball most the time but can get overun in centre mid numbers wise as we saw last night. Then there is the option that will excite all fans that you can play two out and out front men which is rare I'm afraid in modern football. This could open up a door for Jansen with a no 10 in behind but given his omission last night the writing could be on the wall so maybe another CF would be needed(how ideal would JD be right now in this system??.
    We need to capitalise on this victory now and invest in a quality attacker asap as I said in the last thread. All is to play for now we cannot stand still.
    Lastly hats off to poch on his bravery and tactics dare I say it plan 'B' last evening. COYS.

Felon82, Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  20. Dace Member

Have watched the game three times already ... what a performance...
    Slight change to the player ratings...they all get a 10 ..
    It was only during the non live viewings that I noticed how Kane was pulling their defence around.
    Had not heard or seen much of him during live play, too excited to care really ...
    Massive compliment to Winks though, Poch obviously trusts him.
    We must after the FA Cup, really carry this on and not slip up Vs West Brom.

Talking of West Brom, I would still take Berahino if possible.

Onto Aston Villa, I would give all if not most of this team a complete week off, nid season break perhaps.

Fantastic match though.!!!

Felon82, Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button