Chances and goals! 5 star Spurs back on Son!

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 4, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

You can only beat what is in front of you and today Spurs beat Swansea with ease. As poor as Swansea were, Spurs were very good today. Quicker, had more width than in recent games and at long last created chances and took them.

Spurs had shot after shot and Swansea had no intention of trying to win the game. None at all. Spurs took the lead in dubious circumstances and Alli didn't cover himself in glory. He gets to the ball and leaves a leg dangling on Naughton. That's nothing new in these days of soft penalties and soft players but the way he then flew through the air was unseemly and frankly not something I want to see. That will be looked at and I expect he will find it hard with refreees from now on in. He will be a closely watched man when he goes down.

Kane stepped up and coolly slotted the penalty home. Nothing fazes our own Harry.

The second Spurs goal had a bit of fortune in how the ball fell to Son but what a superb finish. Falling back he twisted and volleyed home. It reminded me of a goal against Everton many years ago scored by some fella called Klinsmann. Great finish. Some games Son is frustrating, today he was at his best. His pace and interplay with Kane was pleasing to see.

It was Son who showed pace for the third and he unselfishly allowed Kane to slot home. The 4th was scruffy but Eriksen bundled the ball home for 4.
    The much maligned Sissoko was calm and played the ball to Eriksen who slotted home with a fine finish with his left foot to make it 5.

Eriksen started to look the player he can be today. He found space and his passing was back to its best. His corners though still stink! Hopefully he will start playing at his best against stronger opposition too.

I've said before that Son can be brilliant one week and then awful the next. Today he worked well with Kane and I got the impression he and Kane had been working on movement and making space. Good to see.

Lloris won't have an easier afternoon. He could have sat down with a table and a meal and still wouldn't have needed to look up.

Alli actually had a good game. But he must learn. For all his talent, some of his decisions will get him in trouble. The manager would do well to have a quiet word.

Walker was outstanding today. Got wide and could have scored himself.

I'm certain there will be those that will say we only won because of the opposition being so poor.But Spurs needed a win and a good performance today. They got both.

As ever, come on you Spurs.

2. burnt Well-Known Member

It was complete domination really , both sides got what they deserved ... First goal was vital as it always is and following up with a quick second before the break more or less killed it because they offered absolutely nothing ... Nil nil at the break would have been typical of us at this moment ... Personally taught we played well first half last week so the performance wasn't a surprise today , it's all about goals .... It was just nice to go and do it for a change ....

Hated the dive , he needs to sort that sh1t out , he's always at it and it's horrible sh1t , it will bite him and the team in the ass at some stage no doubt , his rep for it is growing ...

Interesting week ahead , how will we approach the European game with a trip to the Mancs at the weekend .. Do they even want Europa Lg .... Time will tell ..... C.O.Y.S ....

Bazza47 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well thats what we like to see GOALS!!!!

Was busy yesterday so didnt catch the full game just see the highlights.

We need to put a run together now if we are to make a go of the league this season.

All of our 'good time' players were on show yesterday (son eriksen etc) lets hope they can start doing it in difficult games and more consistently.

COYS

4. Andy Guest

Even though Spurs scored 5, I don't think they played that great. Swansea were so bad that any of the top ten teams would have scored a load against them.

Son scored a brilliant goal and Dembele mesmerised their midfield, but apart from that it was a bit of a boring game.

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

At last, a dominant and clinical display; great stuff.

Important that we now kick on and use this as a platform to string together a number of much needed victories in the PL.

Toby should be back for the trip to Old Trafford and we should absolutely be targeting 3 points up there.

COYS

6. Big fran Guest

Look, Swansea were very poor and IMO will go down but credit to spurs as Swansea were set up very defensive with not a CF in sight and we generally struggle in these type of games to break them down. Don't think it was a pen nor a dive to be fair but thought alli was excellent playing much closer to Kane as he did last season which with a good run of favourably easy fixtures to come over the next few weeks hopefully stay in touch with the league leaders and strengthen in early January.
    His goal apart I thought Son was poor again. Even his 'assist' for Kane's 2nd he was through on goal and with his pace still managed to make a mess of it having to check bk inside into his left foot after somehow managing to drag himself wide of the goal only HK to pull him out of the ****..
    Eriksen was better but still not great. Dembele bk to near his unplayable best and harry after a slow start is finding the net regular again and I'd expect a run of goals now given our next few fixtures.
    I read this morning that van dyke has a £25m buy out and that would well be worth activating as dier has struggled at centre half in Toby's absence and his return will be a major boost. Given Jansen's omission I'd expect our forward line to be boosted especially if like I say were still in touching distance of the league leaders and top four. People saying Chelsea are champs elect are way premature as they should have lost both their last 2 games had ourselves and city put the game to bed.

7. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

I'd agree that Swansea were terrible, even more so after the first goal. As most mentioned Alli needs to cut that out of his game, it's not a reputation that'll help him in the future. Got so much talent, he doesn't need that softness to define him. Good signs were how healthy Kane looked, Son always plays well when he has a good forward to play off of and what a fantastic finish. The back was solid, can't wait for Toby to return. This is the kind of victory that can start us on a run of good form, especially with the fellas getting healthy again. Eriksen looks to be getting his form back as well, better now than later. We at times take for granted the quality Eriksen provides on set plays when he's not playing well. When he isn't in the squad, my goodness....we have no one else close enough. We need to find another technically gifted player, competition on key positions is a great benefit; Walker and Rose are prime examples! COYS!!!!

8. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Thoughts.....

- 5 without reply to boost the goal difference, plus the other results around us largely in our favour, it was a good return from one of our best performances this term.
    - I thought Walker and Eriksen were excellent and with Kane looking sharp for the first time for yonks, it was very encouraging.
    - If Toby returns next week, it would be great to take all three at Old Trafford, to enable us to push on over the festive season.
    - With the transfer window only just over three weeks away, it will show our esteemed leaders commitment, if we see some serious acquisitions in January.
    - and I thought John Moss was trying to decide if he dived or was it a pen.....not sure he got it right.
    COYS

PS.....
    Any views on the news that Hugo isn't keen to extend his contract.
    For what it's worth I think I'd take the money and find a replacment. I don't know the market, although I've been impressed by the Black Cats young keeper Jordan Pickford.
    Also if he goes we can then make Toby skipper.
    Just a thought......

9. Chris #2. Guest

Just to make it clear - Eriksen usually tries to play very fast balls that dive just above the defender at the nearest post. These balls are the most hard to clear for the defending players, but are also hard to deliver. He made a large number of assists in Ajax using this corner style, and has made a few here as well - remember seeing Toby head the ball in at the near post a couple of times. Anyway, Eriksen could play the ball into the box at every single corner if he wanted to, but the goal ratio would be much lower. I get why we are doing this style of corners, but ofc when the ball comes in slightly too low, then it doesnt look good at all. That being said, I think the ratio of successful corners is a bit low. Its up to Poch how corners are to be executed, so I guess the goal-ratio during training is good.

10. Big fran Guest

Lloris I feel is at a stage and age where he is looking to win major trophies and demand world class wages. I'd be surprised if he were to sign another deal but would he a major coup and signal of intent for the club. Sadly I can't see it happening us breaking a wage structure for a keeper approaching 30..

burnt likes this.
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Gutted to be honest Bazza. Think he has been superb, a proper pro and a leader. Certainly the best keeper I've seen at the Lane in my era.

However, he deserves to be playing at the highest level and seriously challenging for trophies. Personally, I think it will depend on how our season unfolds. My stubborn view wouldn't allow the sale! But I think Spain or France will ultimately be the destination - should he leave :-(

Anyhow, I'm a realist and all good things come to an end. I rate Pickford and watched him at the Lane this season (while he was peppered with shots for 90mins :)). As we know, the game finished 1-0 and Pickford was outstanding for the Black Cats. Young, committed, an Englishman and absolutely fits Poch's player profile/character.

Alternatively, I've always thought Butland or Schmeichel could be possible successors to Hugo...

BUT let's just hope Hugo is here for many years to come eh!

Remy Uwilin, Bazza47 and burnt like this.
  12. burnt Well-Known Member

Hard to know how much truth is in it coming from the blow hole know nothing media but from our point of view it would be a blow I.m.o ... I don't rate him as highly as some , I don't buy the best in the world view at-all , but he's a good one for sure and to better him , then you would have to bring in one of the best around and to do that for under 100k a week , well it's probably not possible ... From his point of view , well he certainly has to be thinking about it especially if he gets a chance of a big payday and a chance to join one of the big big guns ... Time waits for no man and in fairness to him he's been very loyal while he's been here so whatever he decides , I for one won't be holding it against him ...

I for one felt our wage structure was going to be a major stumbling block for us in the immediate future but it hasn't materialized yet .... He's got nearly the whole squad to sign new deals since the summer and while it guarantees nothing it at least gives us a bit of security in terms of , if anyone decides they want out now , the balls in our court in terms of setting the price and for all Levy's failings , selling for top dollar is not one of them .. I'm not sure how he's managed to keep paying peanuts ( in football terms ) for so long and keep getting away with it but up to now he has ... Surely though it restricts the type of player we can bring in ........

People talking about us going on a run now , well let's just take it one at a time , next week will be a tough task , going to Old Trafford is always difficult even if their not all that .... It looks a bit easier on paper for a few games after that but we taught that after the city game too and we know how that went .... Ultimately it boils down to , can we get the Ali,s , Erikson,s and the likes consistently firing on all cylinders for a period of time ... If they do , well then we,re well capable of putting a run together .... If they do , that's the question .... As always , we live in hope ..... C.O.Y.S .......

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

It encompasses all set plays, don't think you understood my point. Other than Eriksen, no one in our squad comes close enough to be decent at providing good service on a consistent basis; Lamela being a close exception. Son at times can provide decent corners but from free kicks primary; we have no one else. Take a look at the game against Monaco when he didn't start, it was pathetic. We need to address this in the window.

As for Lloris, it's understandable that he's starting to look for opportunities that can provide him with the chance of winning major trophies. Personally I hope it isn't so, but it's all part of football. Being the main elder statesman in our squad, we'd definitely miss his leadership and quality in goal. Nevertheless Pau would get the opportunity to show his quality.

14. guesty Guest

Did Ali dive?? ...I don't think he 'dived' as there was contact. But did he trail his leg in order to get the contact....yes he did. If there is contact is that a dive?? ...for me a dive is when there is no contact.
    The fact that Moss gave a penalty IMO...was because there was contact.
    I think if Naughton takes his leg away at the last minute and Ali falls....that's a dive. Ali did what players (from a young age) are taught to do.....win a foul.

Naughton (or anyone else) should be better in that position. If you are a defender and you don't touch the ball you are always in trouble. Ali was going away from goal....Naughton just has to let him get to the ball and close him down.....or meet him shoulder to shoulder.

Interesting to read Pochy talk about Siggi....and him leaving only a few days into Pochy taking over. I wonder if he would bring him back if Swansea went down?? (he is, and was, a good fit for us)

Bazza47 and Nomadico like this.
  15. Nomadico Well-Known Member

It is amazing how a win can change the tone of this blog,from slagging the team and the management to joy,now maybe we can move on from all the negative comments..
    Has any one any news as to why Janssen was dropped???he must have read this blog!!! his confidence is shot,I have just watched a tape off him scoring at will in Holland you do not become a bad player overnight, one thing stood out was the service he had from his team mate's some thing he has not had here,maybe Poch should change the system when he come's on and give him a better service,other wise we will destroy another player just like Solado...COYS..

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. burnt Well-Known Member

One win in ten games going into the weekend is not a record that's going to have fans crowing with positivity in any blog .... Our performances in European Games have went from pretty poor to embarrassing .... Believe it or not these are not the type of ingredients to generate so called positivity .... Posting just after a result will always be over emotional one way or the other so it's probably a good idea to let the blood settle first and get a bit of clarity .... Easier said then done sometimes but that's human nature at the end of the day ..... Call it as you see it I say , that's what blogs are for , there wouldn't be much point for them if we all had the same ideas .... It is amazing how we can interpret the same thing so differently , that's for sure .... Look at the penalty at the weekend for example .....

Bazza47 and Mattj78 like this.
  17. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Burnt,Every fan has the right to speak there mind be it positive or negative,but when it drops to the level of open abuse of the club is a step to far,Yes the team have not been at there best for a while, and the dropping of easy points against teams we should have beaten is annoying but only the team fighting together can turn it around,and the fan base can help, it is not rocket science,look at the penalty debate,how many times have we been victims of a dive??and yet some attack Ali,I do not like it but today the game is about winning,it is not the Spurs way I know that but 3 points is 3 points..

18. burnt Well-Known Member

Different subject here ... Media **** ...

So over the last few days , certain media outlets have been dressing up a complete nonsense story about Hugo,s 3.5k bonus everytime Spurs loose or draw .. Talk about a complete misrepresentation of the truth , it's embarrassing really what these guys put down on paper .... The reality of the situation is , Hugo gets an appearance bonus and the amount is determined on the result of the game , but these guys like their own twist on the situation because the real story doesn't quite paint the same picture ... Appearance bonus,s are quit common in modern football and I'm sure if they dug a bit deeper they could have found someone on quite a bigger bonus then Hugo and could have made the story look even more dramatic .... It really is pathetic stuff from all involved .... Football journalism really is a license to print any old sh1te you can come up with and earn a decent living ... Suppose when you listen to that Sunday Supplement program on Sky at the weekend we shouldn't be surprised ... Absolute self-righteous nomarks the lot of them but I'll tell you what , it's a soft way to earn a few quid ...

19. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

£3.5 k extra per match, over and above the £80k per week, for getting out of bed, very nice if you can get it.....

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button