Caulker has a relegation release clause in his contract

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, June 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Former Tottenham Hotspur defender Steven Caulker is available for around £8 million according to various reports which begs the question should Spurs move for him?

The Chronicle Live understand Newcastle have been offered the Cardiff City player, with the Welsh club looking to raise funds and cut their wage bill following their relegation from the Premier League.

£8 million release clause

Caulker moved to Cardiff from Spurs last season for £11 million but had a relegation release clause in his contract which means he is available for just £8 million this summer.

The same media believe the 22-year-old is keen on moving on and has already started his own fitness regime to get ready for pre-season training.

Queue of clubs interested

The Daily Mail have added Everton, Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Swansea and Southampton among clubs looking to sign the Cardiff ace.

Caulker isn’t short of potential new clubs but the opportunity to rejoin his former club Spurs would most likely be too difficult to turn down.

Tottenham are in need of another centre back with concerns over the future of club captain Michael Dawson and Jan Vertonghen plus the fitness of Younes Kaboul.

Return to White Hart Lane logical?

Meanwhile Caulker showed glimpses of his talent during his spell with Spurs previously where he progressed through the youth team and many fans were unimpressed when he was sold to Cardiff.

It seems like the England international has unfinished business at White Hart Lane and if Mauricio Pochettino was to make a move for him surely he would be interested in a return.

For just £8 million it would seem logical to make a move for Caulker and try to bring him back to the club.

Also, considering Pochettino’s reputation with young players, the Cardiff captain would likely to develop even more and fulfil his potential under the Argentine.

All that remains now is for Tottenham to make a bid, but will they?

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Sign him up now, 1 of many managerial clangers by AVB to sell him!
    Sell sick note kaboul

3. Sign him up NOW!! The boy is class, knows the Club and should never have been sold in the first place!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  4. Mickspurs Guest

What has taken levy so long ?
    8 mill is cheap for an English defender.
    He is also captain material .

5. tuey Guest

Not a doubt, should never have sold him in the 1st place, always thought he'd become our next Medley.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  6. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Cannot depend on Daws and Kaboul to carry us through a full season. Caulker has grown and also shown good leadership qualities in the last season and would slot in nicely next to Jan. one of or both of Daws and Kaboul need to go. as much as i like Daws and what he's done for the club he's no longer good enough and injuries aside shouldn't be anywhere near first team.

7. Zoran Zuze Guest

Logical - but logic and Levy aren't always the best of friends. Sure he will want to "negotiate" the price down...Also with interest from Liverpool and the Arse and the way AVB treated him, I can't see him returning to Spurs. A clanger of the highest order selling him - agree 100%. Kaboul and Dawson are past it and Vertonghen looks like he is a slow and overrated. Did you see his clanger v Algeria yesterday?

8. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Caulker is a decent/good defender but he still has a LOT to learn in order to be a REGULAR at a top club.

Yes he has some great physical tools, and is exceptional in the air, but for a guy who is 6ft 2/3 he is NOT as dominant in one-on-on situations, on the ground, as he perhaps should be. At the moment, he is 'too soft', and, for me, he lacks the aggression required to go to the VERY top of the game (as well as a few other KEY ingredients). Hence why at a time where England are crying out for GENUINE top-class talent, or people who have the potential to be, Steven isn't, even, in the picture, as things currently stand.

Caulker has potential, but I have NOT seen a significant improvement in his displays for Cardiff to suggest that he would come to Spurs and be anything other than a 4th choice CB should everybody stay fit. And considering the MAIN reason he left Spurs in the first place was to get more minutes on the pitch, I don't see how this transfer can realistically happen, at present.

As I see it, his positional sense is average, and his tracking of runners leaves PLENTY to be desired. Add to that a lack of aggression (on the deck), which detracts from his ability to be an AUTHORITATIVE/ COMMANDING figure at the back, and the kid simply isn't ready for a REGULAR starting place at a club like Spurs.

Obviously, Steven does have his qualities (i.e. his ball playing skills, mobility and size) and if he was as aggressive on the deck, as he is in the air, I would have a little more confidence in his ability to develop at the rate required to succeed (as a first-teamer) at a club like Spurs.

With that being said, he is a product of the Spurs academy and having him around would benefit the club in European competitions. And at 22 years old, he still has a CONSIDERABLE amount of time/room to adjust and cultivate his game.

Who knows, maybe Poch could help bring the very best out of the English CB and give him the guidance to enable him to flourish.

But I would prefer to see Spurs move for somebody like Phil Jones, who I believe has more to offer at this moment in time than the former Spurs CB.

Would I sign Steven at the moment though, given the quality of player we already have in that position, and given that Caulker is desperate for 1st-team football? No...But IF Caulker was prepared to come back, learn his trade and fight for his place, then I, like many of you would see this deal as a no-brainer.

But with Vlad, Younes and Jan (not to mention Dawson) all CLEARLY ahead of him in terms of their develop, Steven could find life at WHL more frustrating now, than ever before!!!

To summarise, I'd probably let a Newcastle/ Villa/ Sunderland have him for a few years, see how develops, and then revisit the topic at a later date.

Sure Caulker looks great on the surface, but when you dig a little deeper you begin to discover that bottom-mid EPL sides are about his level at the moment (as far as regularly starting is concerned)

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos

You never fail to to amuse, you want to persist with a sick note Kaboul, a donkey Dawson, a sulk Vertonghen, the clowns Naughton and Rose but you dont want Caulker back?
    Daws is aggressive on the floor which either has him commiting fouls or being left on his back side, kaboul has often got bad positional sense (when hes able to play), Jan is neither aggressive or has great positional sense.
    Caulker has still alot to learn but already he shows all the characteristics of being a top CB firstly Atitude 2nd Physicality 3rd Good in the air 4th Good on the ball. Hes from the youth and we should be gearing him up to be our long term captain like Ledley a CB Leader with Spurs in his blood!

10. notnats

A backline with Daws, Kaboul and Rose in it is average at best and not good enough for a team aspiring for top four, these players are mid table bsttlers at best if Jan gets injured or cant be bothered we will be in deep ****. Caulker is getting better and would continue that way under Poch, im not so sure Poch or anyone else for that matter is going to get anything more out of Daws and kaboul. They are both past thier best and probably past use by date. Decisions have to be made.

11. big fran Guest

I can see both sides of the argument here I agree with Ramos that he is a good quality ball playing centre half.. But we already have one of those in Jan who regardless of last season where he was played too often out of position hit his cconfidence and consequently his form has to start-but alongside a more dominant old fashioned centre half. But I agree he is well ahead of Dawson in the order and kabouls days as first choice look to be over due to the demands of his body. Chiriches another ball player for me is still out. I would bring caulker in but probably only 3rd choice at best with looking to bring in someone to partner jan

12. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Fellon

And you never fail to appear as misguided, my friend ... When have I EVER said 'I want to persist' with Dawson or Naughton? Please either find some evidence of this, or stop misleading The People...

All I have said in my post, after studying Caulkers game carefully (and not simply watching a few highlights from MOTD, or basing my views on what so-called experts think) is that Steven has NOT improved much since leaving Spurs, in my professional (I mean humble) opinion.

Could that change with another season of REGULAR 1st team football? Perhaps, but I still see PLENTY of adjustments that need to be made before he can realistically expect to hold down the STARTING place, that he so desperately craves, at a top tier EPL club.

Ask yourselves, would Steven WANT to come back, learn his trade and fight for his place, potentially starting off as the 4th choice CB? Because assuming that Kaboul, Vertonghen and Chiriches all stay, that is exactly where he will be!

Listen I have ALWAYS maintained that at his best, Kaboul is our most COMPLETE defender, and given an uninterrupted pre-season, I FULLY expect him to prove that point and shut the mouths of those who have been quick to write him off (after almost 18-24 months without competitive football at any level, let alone one of the highest in world football). It is RIDICULOUS to even consider writing the 28 year old Frenchman off, on the back of a couple of indifferent displays, in a lop-sided team, after the amount of time Younes has spent out with injury in recent year...but hey, fans will be fans!

Vertonghens problem is NOT aggression while the ball is on the ground, as much as it is when the ball is in the air. But yes, he too, like Caulker struggles with tracking runners, and awareness, although his positioning is is actually quite good. What Jan usually has issues with is his lack of agility/mobility, causing him to look leaden footed when trying to transfer weight quickly off one foot to another, or trying to cope with smaller, quicker men.

Vertonghen would deal relatively well with a player like Jason Punchoen, and yet struggle with the twinkle toes of a Raheem Sterling as he doesn't enjoy dealing with quick feet.

Chiriches takes one too many risks at this level, at the moment, but once he reduces the amount of liberties he takes with the oppositions forwards, I believe Vlad can/will be a GREAT defender for Tottenham Hotspur. He has shown ALL the raw materials to suggest that has what it takes to go right to the very top in his position, and appears to love (and excel in) most of the disciplines involved in being a defender.

Caulker lacks the awareness, positional sense and the aggression to succeed at the very highest level. Can these things be taught? Yes but is Caulker someone who has the PATIENCE to learn trade on the sidelines. His concentration would be another area where I believe Steven could sharpen up, although considering his age and relative inexperience at this level, I would say it's reasonably good. There is no questioning his ball-playing ability, his attitude, or his physical attributes but he MUST learn the other side of the game, as well as make the most of his physical qualities, if he is ever going to make it at a high level.

At a club like Cardiff he is expected, and easily forgiven, for making some of the 'school-boy' errors he commits on a reasonably, regular, occurrence. At Spurs, a club that is realistically aiming to win prizes, life will become much more pressurised.

People are so quick to dismiss the considered views of Ramos, for many reasons, but understand I would NOT bother say anything that I couldn't backup in a court of law as I wouldn't want to run the risk of looking foolish/ignorant. So with that being said, here is Item 1:

Last edited: June 18, 2014
  13. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

On another note...great news concerning WHL.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...White-Hart-Lane-says-Metropolitan-Police.html

Now I have NEVER used the word 'yid' or 'yiddo' myself, but I always saw way Spurs supporters used the word as a term of endearment, rather than discrimination, and therefore am glad to see the authorities have seen it that way too.

Although, I have never used the word myself - partly because I didn't, and still don't fully, know what it means - I always experienced goosebumps when I heard the WHL faithful directing that particular chant at one of the Spurs players, leading me to feel as if it was some kind of (extra) badge of honour to be bestowed on those who wear Tottenham Hotspur shirt.

As a result of the recent investigation into the use of the word, as well as the subsequent ban that followed, Spurs/WHL lost a bit of it's identity, in my opinion, so it's GREAT news to hear that the fans will be able to sing it loud and proud come the start of next season.

A Spursfect introduction to Life Down The Lane, for Poch, I'd say!!!

14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos if your looking for 'school boy errors' look no further than our seasoned CBs Donkey Daws and Sick Note, Even Jan was getting in on the double act last season. Caulker if making an error has a reason but at 22 can only see him getting better.
    Personally id be looking to move all 3 of Daws Kaboul (past it/lost it) and Jan (bad atitude/big cash injection). Caulker and Chiriches plus 2 new solid CBs would be a lot more promising.

15. notnats

Please dont show any video of spurs v pool. Im sure Daws, Kaboul and Rose dont want to be reminded either.

16. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Lol...Spoken like a true fan!

The truth is Liverpool play the kind of game that Caulker has struggled with since his Tottenham days. Plenty of movement, direct dribbling, 2nd/3rd man runs from deep and high tempo interchanges in and around the box. Little has changed as far as Steven is concerned!

If you believe I have formed my assessment of Steven Caulker based on one game, you are would be VERY much mistaken. Like I said, I have been STUDYING the young CB displays ever since he broke through at Spurs and have watched his development closely. The video only serves to highlight the points I have made about his game previously (in fact years ago) and I could show you a number of other matches where you could see the same thing... But I understand now, that there is little point!

Listen, I like Caulker as much as the next guy. I DO think he has good raw materials, that could be moulded under the right tutelage, but as a football-man I'm obliged to allow my head rule my heart and call things straight-down the middle, without bias.

After all, why wouldn't I want to see a youth product be successful at Spurs?

At the time Caulker was sold, I would have MUCH rather seen Dawson move on, but that wasn't to be, and we move on.

To give Michael his due, he was in EXCELLENT form (with the same skill-set he has got now) and many of the SAME people criticising him were hailing him as Spurs' defensive rock...Oh how things change, eh?

Anyway, this deal WON'T happen for a number of the reasons I have mentioned above, which you both seem to fail to even recognise/acknowledge, so this conversation is really pointless.

All I will say is that there is a VERY good reason that Jones and Smalling -both of whom struggled to impress at all, last season- have been picked ahead of Caulker for the WC squad.

Perhaps, next season you will choose to analyse Caulkers displays/progress closely, making this debate a bit more interesting for us all (maybe, in the future).;)

Last edited: June 19, 2014
  17. notnats

Not much of a debate Ramos, the only opinion that ive put foward is that we could do with a new CB. Caulker could be available and to me isnt a bad shout, agree he needs to improve in a few areas but he's young and CBs often get better with age. So, do I think we will buy him or should buy him? well ive only said we should look at a decent CB if one becomes available so all this pattin
    g yourself on the back with I know more than anyone else because ive studied the young CBs displays and watched his development closely is typical Ramos fantasyland and nothing more than an opinion but you seem to think that a few longwinded and fanciful comments validates your opinions over the opinions of others. Curious though why in your professional yet humble opinion you write off the potential of Caulker ( or just writing off other peoples opinion of Caulker) yet insist that players with arguably more deficiencies in thier game such as Rose and Townsend are soon to be superstars and irreplacable. opinions everyones got one.

Felon82 likes this.
  18. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Notnats, who took the jam out of your doughnut then?

And why am I the bad guy all of a sudden? If you have an inferiority complex when it comes to discussing the intricacies beautiful game with someone like myself, don't blame me...Well, you can if you want but it won't don't you any good, I can assure you.

Perhaps you should read my INITIAL comment again, and tell me where I have done ANYTHING apart from give my own (educated) opinion.

Have I done so at the detriment of anyone who has commented before me???

Infact you will find I have only RESPONDED to a comment made in which my name was mentioned, but hey what's new.

Listen, my friend, I am the FIRST person to acknowledge when somebody, ANYBODY (without prejudice or discrimination) writes something, not necessarily that I agree, but something that appears well-thought out, constructed and/or written. But I also acknowledge and value my own comments too.

For some reason, we live in a society where people prefer to see someone who is modest about the depth of their skill, knowledge or qualifications, and whilst I AM capable of displaying such a trait, I am also self-assured enough to realise I do not have to. If that upsets, offends or irks you Sir, then perhaps YOU should ask YOURSELF why?

If anyone should be offended, perhaps it should me. For, when have I ever launched, what COULD be deemed, a personal attack on you, or addressed you using terms such as, 'typical ....... fantasy-land' or 'long-winded and fanciful comments'???

And how have I written off anyone else's opinion???

READ THE COMMENTS, MY FRIEND, READ THE COMMENTS!!!

The bottom line is, we both KNOW I that I have a deep understanding and extensive knowledge of the game. That is why, when I write my 'long-winded and fanciful comments' YOU read them! And are usually quick to respond, challenge or discuss them further.

There is no shame in admitting that somebody MAY be more knowledgeable than you about a particular subject Notnats. No shame at all!

My mechanic knows MORE than me about fixing cars (and well, cars full-stop). I acknowledge that.

The person who created this web-site knows more than me about setting up a web-site (and has done a FANTASTIC job in doing so, by the way). I acknowledge that.

My mum knows more than me about the labours of giving birth and raising 3 children, than I do. And guess what, I acknowledge that too.

The point is I am humble, and mature, enough to know that I am NOT going to be good at everything, and I DON'T necessarily know it all.

Hey there are PLENTY of things that I don't understand as well as others, but that's okay. Actually it's better than okay because it allows me to be able to identify the topics/practices that I excel in.

And the one thing I do KNOW/UNDERSTAND pretty damn well is football, and if I choose to express it, and you have a problem with that, then, like I said, perhaps it is you with the problem.

Now maybe you would actually like to answer the questions posed in this comment box rather than skate around them...maybe you won't.

PS. Understand their are NO bad feelings here, despite your little outburst. But please, my friend, if you are going to see fit to challenge me in the future...do your homework 1st, eh! ;)

19. notnats

@Ramos43
    Just to let you know that I have not ever been upset, offended or irked by any of your comments. Its just a bit of banter. I was simply responding to your assertions that some of us have failed to recognise/acknowledge points made by your good self, and because of this lack of recognition/acknowledgement you consider the conversation pointless. Ramos we all have different opinions, I don't feel in any way obliged to recognise/acknowledge yours as being absolute just because you yourself have stated them. that's your job ;)this need for recognition and constantly letting us know that you are a football genius seems to be a trait of yours, perhaps the mighty Ramos is a tad insecure ? as always I enjoy your posts and will continue to do so and calling them longwinded was a bit uncalled for so I apologise for that. As for calling them fanciful, well as much as I appreciate your style I do find it a bit fanciful but I don't have a serious problem with it that's just my own educated yet humble opinion. Also thanks for your concern about my inferiority complex and yes there is no shame at all in admitting that someone may be more knowledgeable about certain subjects than ourselves. Even you have shown immense humility in admitting that your mechanic knows more about fixing cars than you do. Admitting that we don't know everything is a beautiful thing, lets do it more often o_O anyway its just a bit of banter and as always I look forward to discussing our views on the beautiful game.

Ramos43 and Admin like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.