Carroll speaks, Spurs favourites for Banega and Baldini’s summer trip

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, June 4, 2014.

Share This Page

1. George S

George S New Member

Young midfielder Tom Carroll has confirmed that his plan this summer will be to firstly impress new Tottenham Hotspur head coach Mauricio Pochettino and if that fails then he may have to again look elsewhere.

The 22-year-old spent last season on loan at Queens Park Rangers and appeared to divide opinion amongst Rangers fans.

QPR fan Tone Gibson recently produced an in-depth scout report on young Carroll, with opinions from the fans of the west London club and his own opinion.

Should he stay or should go?

Gibson believes Carroll is a star in the making and the young midfielder has recently been speaking to Get West London.

Carroll said: “I’m going back to Spurs and will try to impress pre-season - and go from there.

“Being at Rangers has been a positive, and to go up at the end was the icing on the cake.

“But no player would just wants to sit on the bench or in the stands. Everyone wants to play. I’ll be back at Spurs and hopefully I can do it there. If not, then we’ll see.

“I wasn’t involved in the play-off final which was disappointing, but I played 26 games, and all in all I played my part in getting the club promoted.”

Pole position for Banega

Carroll’s chances of impressing could be weakened should Pochettino get his way and bring Ever Banega to White Hart Lane.

The Northern Echo believe Sunderland’s pursuit of the Argentine midfielder is likely to end soon with the knowledge that he is among Tottenham’s summer targets.

Banega missed out on selection to Argentina’s 23-man World Cup squad and it now seems current club Valencia will try to move the midfielder on earlier than first thought.

The La Liga side will accept around £5.5 million and the Northern Echo think Spurs are in pole position to sign the talented playmaker.

Baldini in Brazil

Meanwhile the Daily Mail report that sporting director Franco Baldini will be at the World Cup to try and tie down summer targets. The Italian will be tasked with trying to find a new central defender and left back.

Tottenham will have scouts running the rule over the top talent competing in Brazil.

Other players the club are targeting include Standard Liege forward Michy Batshuayi and Swansea’s Ben Davies as Pochettino looks to shape the squad to his mould ahead of his first season in charge.

2. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I think Tom Carroll should, perhaps, follow Andros Townsend's example - keep quiet, get his head down and let his feet do the talking in pre-season.

Now, what he was reported to have said, is by no means crime of the century. But given his RELATIVELY slow development, and the size of the club he is at, I feel that it would of been wiser to have said something more along the lines of;

' I've seen Nabil, Ezekiel and Harry breakthrough into the 1st team squad regularly last term, and I will, hopefully, be able to do the same this'.

A statement such as this would of made his intentions CLEAR, rather than raise a whole host of new questions regarding his (long-term) future at the club.

Call me what you will, but I don't believe Tom Carroll has done enough, even at QPR, to suggest he is ready to perform at EPL level on a REGULAR basis, at a club like Spurs, so to hear him talk so forthrightly is a bit of a surprise.

Will be interesting to see how MP chooses to integrate members of the development players in to the first team, given the size, and quality, of the current squad.

Unless Pochettino intends on using young players like Pritchard, Carroll and Bentaleb, (regularly) immediately, maybe it would be best to try and secure them a move to EPL club (if possible).

3. stevethespur Active Member

We will have alot of europa lge games next season and this is where carroll could really excel. Whether hes suited to the premier lge remains to be seen but i'd give him plenty of game time in europe and go from there. Always good to see homegrown talent and there are a few good youngsters on the fringes not least milos the young cb. Coys.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Sell him he simply isn't good enough or consistant enough to command a starting place over players that we have or level expectency. Let him be a decent player at a lower club rather than cling to the hope that in 5 years time he might get a league cup run out. I expect any serious youngsters to be banging down the door of the first team eager to prove their worth and giving the manager good reason/selection head ache to give them a try. If they arent doing that then they arent good enough atitude and skill wise. I think our academy lacks any sort of reserve to 1st team transition, a number of times with depleting numbers at key moments in key positions we never try and bring these youngsters through or blend them into the team they spend most of their time on loan playing hussel bussel league 2 football, theyl only toughen in them leagues they will not reach levels expected by the parent club.

5. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

stevethespur- That sounds good in theory but judging by Carroll's words, the odd Europa League game won't be enough.
    It's going to be difficult for Tom to go back to under 21 level after playing 1st team football for QPR and the Spurs management NEED to recognise that.The kid is at an age now where he has to begin to play REGULAR 1st team football in order to aid his development.

Pochettino will have to decide what approach he is going take regarding the IMMEDIATE future of the clubs youngsters, and whether or not he intends to SERIOUSLY use any of them.

Yes Maurico has been renowned throughout his career as someone who likes to promote youth, but has the Argentine ever had the depth of international talent he will have at Spurs to choose from?

The size of the current squad suggests that the Head Coach may have to reduce the numbers on the playing roster before looking to introduce ANYONE (new signings or youngsters) to the 1st team group.

Now, of course, Mauricio will already have a fair idea of the 1st team players he wants to keep, having a decent/good knowledge of the Spurs squad from having scouted them in the past. But will he approach his new role with a open mind on players?

I would think he has probably already drawn up a list of players who he would mind selling/buying and discussed it with the Chairman.

Brede Hangelaand has been released from his contract with Fulham. Could be a good replacement for Dawson, on a free, and at 6 ft 6 inches, he would provide Spurs with the kind of presence at the back, that the club hasn't had in a while.

I am NOT someone who subscribes to the notion that Spurs have to spend big money on a brand new CB. Jan Vertonghen, Younes Kaboul and Vlad Chiriches are all good enough to establish EFFECTIVE partnerships between them, and given the RIGHT kind of protection from midfield ( a notable flaw under Tim), I see no reason why they can't, all, excel next season.

That's why adding something different, in terms of EPL experience, and his mental/physical attributes, could be a VERY shrewd move for Spurs to make.

The big question, for me, is; Would Levy sanction a move for a 32 year old battle harden defender, even if it is on a free?

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button