An Early Look at the 2017-18 Tottenham Fixtures

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, June 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

The fixtures were released today to great fanfare, and even though everyone has to play everyone else home and away, the release of the schedule comes with great anticipation due to the idea that some tougher fixtures could be stacked back to back to back. So, let’s take a closer look at what’s going on with Tottenham’s schedule.

August
    12- at Newcastle
    19- Chelsea
    26- Burnley

Opening on the road. Seems like it happens to Spurs every year, but in this case, it just might be advantageous. This is the first time Spurs play at Newcastle since the meltdown to the already relegated Magpies in May of 2016. Tottenham’s team should be much more settled than that of Newcastle. Revenge will be sweet.

Home to Chelsea at Wembley will be tough. But, what an environment we should expect in the capital that day. Hopefully, Chelsea will still be doing plenty of late bidding in the transfer window (and Spurs won’t, fingers crossed) and they’ll be out of sorts. This game could set the tone of the season for these London rivals.

Next is Burnley and there are already pitch conflicts at Wembley. Nice job, scheduling computer/people.

September
    9- at Everton
    16- Swansea
    23- at West Ham
    30- at Huddersfield Town

Lots of time away from “home” in September, but at least we get to get West Ham’s cup final out of the way early and Everton might still be struggling to replace Lukaku at this point.

October
    14- Bournemouth
    21- Liverpool
    28- at Manchester United

This looks kind of brutal until you remember that Spurs handled Liverpool and United pretty adequately in 16-17. Granted, those teams will be drastically different by late October than they were in the 16-17 campaign (and even now for that matter), but Spurs will definitely be up for it. Four points out of six will probably be a nice haul at the end of October.

November
    4- Crystal Palace
    18- at Arsenal
    25- West Brom
    28- at Leicester

It doesn’t get any easier in November, with plenty of games getting backloaded at the end of the month due to an international break. Speaking of which, we play Arsenal right after the international break and I don’t really like it. International football seems like the only place Arsenal players get any confidence and form.

December
    2- at Watford
    9- Stoke
    13- at Brighton
    16 at Manchester City
    23- at Burnley
    26- Southampton
    30- West Ham

Holy moly this is brutal. But as they say, all the Premier League teams have to do this, and surely some of these teams will be rotating their squads pretty heavily due to massive fixture congestion. Not a beastly group of teams, mind you, but just relentless back to back to back games. Festive? Maybe, but only if Spurs put in a December/January like they did last year.

January
    1- at Swansea
    13- Everton
    20- at Southampton
    31- Manchester United

Starting on December 13, Spurs play six games in 20 days, culminating with a trip to Swans. But that doesn’t appear to be the worst part because here comes February….

February
    3- at Liverpool
    10- Arsenal
    24- at Crystal Palace

That run starting on the last day of January and ending with arsenal visiting Wembley could very well define the season as something we’ll look back on fondly or as a place where it all went wrong. I’m betting on the former, but what a whirlwind two weeks that will be!

March
    3- Huddersfield Town
    10- at Bournemouth
    17- Newcastle
    31- at Chelsea

Finally, a little bit of a break. But I’ve already got my calendar marked for the showdown with the Blues at the Bridge on March 31. You?

April/May

7- at Stoke
    14- Manchester City
    21- at Brighton
    28- Watford
    5- at West Brom
    13- Leicester

Well, well, well. This looks like the easiest stretch of the season and I hope it means something at that time! The City game on April 14 looks to be the last stumbling block. Not to jinx anything, but this run in looks a lot like what Chelsea had last term. Could Spurs be in for the title with this run in? Let’s hope so. COYS

burnt likes this.
  2. burnt Well-Known Member

Hard to know what to expect with this Wembley bollix happening this season ... Only for that , at this stage with not much of the summer transfer business yet known , we'd have to be one of the favs ... Wow I never imagined I'd be saying that sentence ... But there's a lot of business to be done before a ball is kicked so let's see how all that goes first ...

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Squad needs a freshen up imo, we need players that will impact on the side and help us kick on.
    Lamela and sissoko need to be moved on and if Walker is going to get us big money then that's fine. Combined they've gotta be 60mil at least.
    Kane, Alli and Erikssen need healthy competition for places this is paramount to us moving up from the nearly men tag.
    It's got to be a good window even more so than last, last season's woeful window with Victor being the only good aquisition cost us badly.
    We risk encountering the same short comings and this will lead to players heads turning if we don't get it right.
    Wembley so far has not been kind to add some life to the place/team/club we need to be big and bold in the market it's pivotal.

burnt likes this.
  4. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the summary dnoll5 - our season on a page. Brill.

This will be the mother of all seasons. I know we're up there with the best, but my mind can't block out the Wembley miseries. Apart from the lions share of the Chelski game, we've not played well there and never come out with the right result.

We will have crowd advantage, but this view that says every away side will treat the visit as their Cup Final seems to arouse my deepest fears.

For me key to this season is how we get the heads of the players right for the games there. This squad have been there and failed too many times for it not to effect them. So top of the list is setting aside their fears.....Poch might need some devine intervention, or Glenn's lady Eileen....lol

Then we need some quality additions. I fear this may elude us once more. We need two heavyweights and apart from Walker, Sissoko I think I'd stick with what we've got, assuming Poch is going to use the likes of Lamela and NKD. If not, take the money.

Oh and make sure that we secure Toby, the best centre back in the PL, by a country mile - he only committed 18 fouls in 68 games last season....if ever there was a no brainer, £100k 5 year deal for him is it.

COYS

burnt, Felon82 and Nomadico like this.
  5. Big fran Guest

City and utd will have around £200m to spend. Everton Liverpool and arsenal Chelsea around 150m if figures are to be believed.
    Personally I wouldn't be selling walker especially to strengthen a rival desperate for full BKS but it looks like he's on his way for say around 40m. With an annual transfer budget of a club our size its not unrealistic to ask for minimum 30m. With sissoko njie nkoudou wimmer all set to exit we should spend at least 100m IMO.
    I'd rather spend 60 on van dyke 20m on Pereira and 20m on Barkley rather than buy six or seven French 2nd rate muppets. I guarantee we go the latter and sign Muppet's..

burnt and Felon82 like this.
  6. Nomadico Well-Known Member

If any one leaves then IMO we should use a part of the fee to pay the wage and keep Toby and any other of our top players,after this with what is left over we can go for players that will work for the team and not just a name,with fee's around 30 plus mill for average players it will be hard but Poch understands this,next season will be hard, with all teams spending crazy money and demanding like wise for there own players who leave,the greed of agents and Ade like players will ruin a club,with this in mind I would rather get rid of the dross and keep the back bone of our team intact,Poch and Levy will get the player he wants and not via the rat pack press!!!COYS..

Mick, burnt and Bazza47 like this.
  7. burnt Well-Known Member

I think there'll be quiet a few changes to our squad before the season gets underway ... If the Sessignon rumors are true , then I could see Ben Davies leaving aswell as Walker , not sure how much of a loss Walker will be , I accept he probably had his best spell for the first 2/3s of last season but ultimately he's not much of a footballer , serious athleticism with rapid pace but not much else , ordinary def who's pace again is his main weapon and going forward it's the same , pace pace pace , but not much else .... Take the big money I say , he's far from irreplaceable i.m.o ... To be honest if the rumors about Man U wanting Dier and willing to pay 40 mill plus for him , I'd be tempted to let him go aswell for that money ... Think he's also limited and overrated by quiet a few ... Think his versatility is his strongest asset , he can be 6 out of 10 player in quiet a few positions bit like John Of Shea when he was at Man U .... Wimmer more then likely will be replaced as well as Sissoko , I'd also replace Lamela , he's been given long enough in every way i.m.o and he wasn't exactly missed last season ... Get rid I say ... Janssen and Nkoudou could also quite easily be replaced but I'd personally be willing to give these two a bit more time ...

Lol , believe me Ross Barkley won't be going anywhere for 20 mill , them days are long gone ....

Time will tell , C.O.Y.S ....

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  8. Big fran Guest

Barkley only has 12momth left on his contract.

burnt and Bazza47 like this.
  9. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Interesting.......good point Fran

burnt likes this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

A few years back I really rated Barkley thought he would grow into a real talent but currently is he any better or good enough to put pressure on Alli, Son and Eriksen?
    I'm not so sure and especially if he is gonna take a sizeable chunk out of the kitty he wasn't even a starting 11 player at Everton all year, there have been question marks about his attitude/application aswell I just don't wanna see him on big Wages sitting on the bench sulking coz he's not getting game time.

Mick and burnt like this.
  11. Big fran Guest

I hear what your saying felon tbh...but.. He ticks a lot of boxes for me and fits the profile of player we have had success with. He is young,English,talented(when playing at his max), hungry given the fact he's already playing for an established top six club yet wants to play higher level hence wanting to leave, potential to develop under a manager who likes to develop and given only 12 month on his contract and regardless of what koeman says is holding all the cards and will pick the club of his choice rather than evertons choice the price could be between 15-20m I believe.
    Where better for a player once dubbed the new gazza(there's only 1 I know) than Tottenham.
    When he played well last season Everton generally played well. He's different to what we have in the supporting 3 you rightfully mention and could also fulfill the box to box role of dembele. Yes he's inconsistent but so is Alli who only came to the fore post Christmas and went missing v west ham at the end. Part of being young I guess and we have to back poch to knock that out of them both.
    Like yourself I'd prefer two 40m signings but thats unlikely I'm sure u agree. Today we see the goons bid for lacazette a player who is definitely a player in our price range wage bracket and profile but inexplicably not bidded for.

Felon82 and burnt like this.
  12. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Lacazette may be available but if Poch wants another then we should trust him.Every year we have this problem the fan base demand big money players with big wages just because another rival club have offered to buy, can not mean we should follow suit,all this 'Another 'Gazza' another 'Ali' the next 'Modric' STOP,any new player's will be selected by Poch for what they can bring to HIS project to his team,to OUR TEAM,in the mean time sit back and enjoy the summer.COYS..

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

What like Sissoko?
    Think Poch needs to be looking at regular match winners not a nobody that he can mould.
    The spine of the side is there now it needs that bit extra if it's to realise it's potential.
    Failing to do that would see it soon revert to type.
    You can't keep paying top players relative peanuts to be be part of the never delivering project it ain't gonna happen.

14. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Would it not be better to pay some of the 40mill to our so called peanut earning player's instead of a player who has a price tag to live up to and the abuse he will suffer from you if he can not score 30 plus goals in his first season??""Never delivering project"the last 2 seasons never happened??the improvement never happened??3rd place,2nd place,there are times Felon when you make no sense,we all want to win but not at the cost of our club and untill the new stadium is online we simply do NOT have the cash for 30mill plus player's,I agree Sissoko was a error but, was it Poch or Levy that made it,try and be a little more reasonable in your demands..COYS..

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Our club is ran on the tightest budget possible we should be paying the prems top goal scorer nearer the going rate and alderwierld etc.
    How long do u expect these players to perform at the level they do personally and accept relative peanuts all for the love of the project that delivers nothing?

Put yerself in Tobys shoes 28 years old head and shoulders above every defender in the league looking to secure yer next big 5 year contract to see your last top level of your career out and your having to haggle it out to get 100k a week???
    While u watch players half your ability earning nearly double your salary and collecting trophies etc.
    Are you telling me that your gonna be thinking I'm really grateful to be part of this project, i can fall just short every year of actually achieving something, watch my club buy players that can be 'moulded' and earn half what im worth but morally I'm a winner ?
    Dream world!

As I said last summer we needed to learn from previous CL campaign and buy CL level players quality over quantity. Of the 4 we bought only 1 was any good and the contribution of the other 3 amounted to literally nothing at the cost of about 60mil all in.
    So don't act like we can't afford to buy better players. It's the REFUSAL to buy better players and the active support of it that is stiffling us from the next step.
    Why buy a load of sh;te that don't contribute at the same cost 2 top players would cost?
    You know why Chelsea etc bring home the bacon because when they need that bit extra they can put 3 quality players on for the players they take off and win the tight/important games when needed.

What I don't get is this let's behave like we're poor and shouldn't buy top players or pay better wages we are the 10th richest club in the world with a brainwashed pauper mentality.

Only so long TOP players will be happy with 2nd 3rd etc we need to deliver Trophies to keep them. Else i can see this falling apart quite quickly. That's where my sense comes from.

And too many Spurs fans these days cream themselves about finishing nearly men. And quite frankly that's just embarrassing!

16. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Some of the things you point out are correct the waste of the money on player's Levy brought in to appease the fan base,but this "Top player's will be happy"Do not forget WHO is on the pitch if they want the trophies then they should play better week in week out as we all have seen them do at times this past season, but they did not,so we lose a semi final, so do we as fans take the blame for that, or should they be paid more?.To mention Chelsea Felon with the billions of stolen money funding a club with mega stars bringing home the bacon,apart from Terry they do not even have a soul at least our team play for each other and the club.If it is "Embarrassing"to be pleased when my club gets better every year and is getting closer to the top then I am happy to be so!!!COYS..

17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

You have to capitalise on situation we find ourselves in tho Nomadico we don't need to buy hopefuls and we don't need 4 or 5 players 2 good signings could kick this team on to something special

Nomadico likes this.
  18. Nomadico Well-Known Member

I agree with you Felon about the need for the 2 good signings,for to long we have wasted money on dross,in my first post I said it would be better to pay more to Toby and others than to get another player who will upset the boat,30 mill to 70 mill player's have a price tag to live up to take to long to adapt,Janssen will come good if he has a good pre season a thing he never had last year,Ali came good after his first season,Son is another one,proof you can not buy the instant 30 plus goal machine it takes time 3 years ago we were a top 10 side then up to top 6 and now we find ourselves around the top so we are getting there,if the team can stay together and play together, we can and should pick up a cup this year,if not, then I fear like you, the team will implode and our top players will depart,I live in hope it will never happen but it is possible..COYS

Mick, Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  19. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Ok Felon,over to you who would your pick be for the 2 players you speak of??please add the price tags and the wage demanded in your opinion??

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Of course we can't compete with the highest wages and transfer demands so we would have to be looking for realistic targets from clubs we could entice players from if we went in properly for them.

This is my list of players that if we signed 2/3 of we would be much better placed to battle it out for the league and Trophies.

Reus, Dembele, Bruma, Germain, Lemar, Forsberg

As for fees & wages that's what clubs/players/agents do.

But unless they're astronomical, with some sales and investment these are the type of players we should be in for.

Not the Sissokos of this world who've never been good at anything.

Last edited: June 17, 2017
    Nomadico likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button