All too predictable under Pochettino at present?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, April 25, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    The old saying is that a football team usually picks itself - this is because a football side's starting XI is predominantly made up of the most in-form players. But what does a manager do when the majority of his squad are displaying average-to-low-form, week-in-week-out? This is the problem facing Mauricio Pochettino at present.

When it came to 11:45 am this Saturday morning, there were hardly any surprises for Spurs fans when the team-sheet was released. In the same manner, there were hardly any surprises come the final whistle at St.Mary's - in terms of player performance.

Out of all the possible aspects, both positives and negatives to take out of today's game - the main one is that Spurs, are a story all too familiar at present. Not just in terms of clumsiness laced with commendable character, but the fact that our players are overwhelmingly predictable when it comes to their playing style and performance in a game.

The first, obvious detail, is how overly reliant we are on Kane when it comes to synchronizing our attacks. Playing against one of the best (if not the best) defensive side in the league, Kane was kept quiet today. Despite inside-forwards Nacer Chadli and Erik Lamela chipping in with a goal apiece, today we had 64% possession, but only had two shots on target. It's fair to say that if Kane has a quiet game, the opposition keeper is also quiet too.

Talking of being marked out of the game, this is another tale that engulfs the talented Christian Eriksen all too often. Of course he is playing in one of the tightest areas on the field, but the Dane is too easily swamped out (as he was today) and must to do more to get involved.

Next to Kane, both Chadli and Lamela scored today - but their St.Mary's story was one of repetition. How often have we seen Chadli be near invisible all game, but pop up with a goal? And how often has Lamela performed terribly one week and looked promising the next? Whether we persevere with these players is down to Poch, but at present, neither are holding down a starting position due scintillating form, but merely the lack of form from others who play in their role!

In central midfield, Ryan Mason was not his usual-self, but without wanting to sound too biased - this is his first season playing in the PL. His friend and fellow midfielder Nabil Bentaleb was both solid and disciplined in our midfield today, but his lack of forward-thinking, when it comes to being in possession, will be exposed and a hindrance over time - that's if he is not paired next to play-making midfielder.

In defence, Ben Davies had a game riddled with errors - the story of his season you could say! The obvious argument is that he is not playing week-in, week-out, but every-time he has been given a chance to shine, we are left wanting Danny Rose back in the side ASAP.

While both Dier, at right-back (who had a good game today) and Vertonghen can be the essence of cool one week and calamitous the next - their places in the our defence are rarely under threat from the suicidal defending regularly displayed by Federico Fazio and Vlad Chiriches.

Fazio had a solid game - winning four tackles, but was once again beaten in the air for Pelle's second - in similar fashion to Christian Benteke's winner at the Lane two weeks ago. For a guy standing a 6ft4, you'd expect not just better, but the ability to learn from previous costly errors.

The disappointing revelation, or lack of it, from the past 8 games, is that we haven't really learnt anything new, or positive in that matter, from any of our players in preparation for next season. This will either translate to a new system put in place by Poch for next season (something which is highly unlikely) to bring out the best of the current players we have, or the other road - is one of new players.

The latter in terms of recruiting players suiting Pochettino's playing style, which I think is the best and ONLY form of action, will not come cheap for Mr.Levy or easily, for that matter, for Mr.Pochettino.

We can only hope...

notnats likes this.
  2. ihe Guest

Why do I keep reading this nonsense about needing players that suit Pottechino's style. The people that are being branded flops and that he either won't or can't get to play are internationals from the top football nations in the world (Lamela Argentina, Paulinho Brazil, Dembele Belgium, Soldado Spain, Capoue France). He picked a captain Kaboul and a vice captain - Adebayor and then banished them from the squad.

For crying out loud stop making these pathetic perverse excuses for him. If he can't get something out of these expensively assembled resources he is the one to go. There's no point playing Mason and Bentaleb every week. Neither are good enough to be the automatic choices they have become - is Bentaleb an upgrade on Huddlestone, is Mason an upgrade on Holtby or Livermore. You cannot get top 4 playing those 2 every week just because they suit your style.

notnats likes this.
  3. guests 1 Guest

I agree entirely with the comments made by the previous guest. The fundamental problem facing Tottenham is the very inflexible style of play pursued by the manager game after game. It is difficult to understand his choice of players and substitutions. While Mason and Bentaleb had some good games, they do not seem the type of players to take the team forward. Bringing players in for one week and dropping them the next does not help their confidence and hence performance. For example, why was Paulinho used for the Newcastle game but not today? What did the manager expect to find out that most supporters knew? Paulinho will never make it at Spurs so why play him at the expense of other players bought over the summer and kept on the bench for most of the season. Dembele who made an outstanding contribution for the win over Chelsea seems to come in for 10 or 15 minutes and if he has a good game is dropped. The team plays without any width. Always trying to go through the middle is very predictable and does not seem to work. Time and time again balls will come in the opposition penalty box with all the Spurs forward players cluster together with nobody to pick up loose balls on the left or right. Thus the balance is not right and the strategy is predictable and not working. Without Kane's and Erikson's individual goals (i.e. goals created by them) Tottenham will in the bottom part of the table. Tottenham conceded more goals than most teams this year and this again it is due to the way the team is set out and plays. Both left and right backs are caught out of position and thus the full backs are always exposed. Let me make one final comment. MP's substitutions never seem to help the team. Bringing on Soldado on 84 minutes it does not help anybody and makes life difficult for all the players. Even though things are not going well, MP waits until the last 15-20 minutes to make a change and when he does he seems to hinder than improve the team. Surely the strategy should be different when playing Chelsea and Leicester but we seem to have one plan run, run, pass sideways and congest the middle! Lets hope something new will happen in the new season.

4. Tom Guest

Not too impressed with the players he has signed either....

5. ian Guest

How can we expect anything more from Potchettino? It has been the same with whoever he has managed.

3 years of bottom half finishes with Espanyol (rock bottom) when, bizarrely, Southampton employed him. Renowned for having no back up plan and uninspired substitutions. Bettered by his replacement.

A year and a half in charge of Southampton and their very good squad. Bottom half finish, then a respectable 8th. No back up plan and ineffective substitutions. Totally eclipsed by his replacement in all ways.

What a stellar management CV to convince our Chairman that he was the man to build us into a top 4 club.

Spends £30m buying largely second-rate players to replace 3 who have been missed and would have solved the obvious problems the team has. Taken us backwards.

6. vinny gill Guest

While agreeing with the prior comments about Pochettino, my biggest problem with Spurs is the ability of players we have. The real fault is those who sanctioned the buying of Ben Davies, Fazio, Lamella, and Soldado. Other than our keeper and Vertongen we are not good enough at the back and other than Erickssen and Kane we are not really good enough elsewhere. My other issue is why we do not use the rest of the season to blood some of our younger or little used players. For example, why did we not use Yedlin today? I am not a fan of Walker and would like to see if Yedlin is any good before the season end.

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Would be perfect time to give Yedlin some bedding in games to help him settle for next season. Kyle Walker is a sick note and not as good as some like to make out so we need to be looking at a new RB.

8. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

At Southampton Poch had no plan b and at us he has neither a plan a or plan b.

Felon82 likes this.
  9. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

There is an argument that this isn't Pochettino's team but hang on a minute. He had the majority of the summer to change that. And January. He bought Fazio and Stambouli. He decided to make Useless Kaboul captain. It took him nearly three months to start Kane in the premiership.
    I don't think sacking him will achieve much because it would just mean starting again but I don't feel he is tactically astute or savvy enough to become consistently successful and his previous managerial roles just confirm that point.

Deggsy56, Felon82 and notnats like this.
  10. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I don't understand the grumbling here... What did you expect? A win? Why? We did not lose. It was a fare result. No team in EPL dominated Saints this season.

Last edited: April 26, 2015
  11. AnonYid Guest

Tired of people calling Eriksen one of our best players. Terribly inconsistent. One games he's class then for the next 5 games he's invisible, similar to Dembele. I'd rather he score and create more often from open play rather than a goal once a while from free kicks. I'd take Siggy over him any day - a player who doesn't turn the world around with his performance but still contributes to something every game.

12. lee2 Guest

We bought a prolific goal scorer from Spain, one of the most highly rated kids from Serie A and the man of the tournament from the confederations cup... we showed real ambition to get top 4 and push on.

We've been @.!* unlucky imo.

If we had bought Messi and he turned out to be rubbish in the premiership would we be so persecutory to those above?

Unfortunately that was our golden chance, but now we have to live within our means and be patient. I'm not complaining because I've been a spurs man for decades and seen the glory and the heartache, we are miles ahead of where we were in the 90s...

Deggsy56 likes this.
  13. Cheshuntboy Guest

I think Pochettino's failings as a manager/coach speak for themselves - in fact, they speak far more articulately than the man himself does. I listened to his post-match interview on MOTD last night with disbelief, because it was totally incomprehensible - I honestly didn't have a clue what he was trying to say, and God only knows what the overseas contingent at WHL make of it. If he couldn't succeed in Spain without a language problem, he'll clearly never hack it in the UK with such a serious one, and no amount of transfer wheeling and dealing this summer will help - he's another of Levy's duds, and the only question is when he'll take his multi-million pound (euro?) payoff.

14. SnakesEars Guest

We have to accept that Southampton are a decent team, i was disappointed that we didn't even muster a shot in the last 10 minutes. We need to be more positive, when we get forward be decisive, get a corner get a free kick, get a shot on target. Now Poch went 442 at the end going for the win, so credit. But people will hate me for saying this but for me Ady is our go to man. Long ball hold it up ect. I would have him every time ahead of Robby who lets be fair is a lovely guy but is utter shite.

15. locococo Guest

The problem is two fold... poch not being flexible with his tactics and the players who are not quick thinking to suit his high pressing game. You watch top teams employing similar tactics with success because of the speed of thought of their forward players. Ive seen too many instances where we had chances to break forward and open the defenses but chose to pass to another midfielder or make the wrong pass forward. Are the players not confident with their decision making? Or is it down to Poch not coaching them well enough? Just read an article where an unnamed player has been quoted saying poch does not communicate with a majority of the first team. If this is indeed true, poch's tenure could end on a bad note. We can only speculate what the managers decisions are based on; whether its the effort the players put in during training etc, but the bottomline is a good manager should have an open communicae with all of his subordinates. I understand he inherited a majority of the team and they do not have specific attributes he wants but he may be stuck with quite a few of these players next season. It is unrealistic to think we can sell ALL the deadweights in the summer. Oh well, i can only hope for the sake of my beloved Spurs that this ends well for all.

16. Sport Guest

What does every defender hate? We know the answer its Lemala's Puma Kings in bright Orange. No only joking its pace. We should have got young Townsend on. That guy can score. And i 100% agree with Ady, on the bench. Are we going to Church or the Synagone today. Come guys them seats aint going a fill themselves. Be more Godfather be more Catherdral be more Madonna be more Al Capone be be be bee bee not wasp. Get it ; )

17. HotchPoch Guest

A suprising result all thing considered. Steven Davis was having a Soldado game for the Saints and Mané is such an idiot player that he would rather fall over than run through on goal. 63% Possession and 2/3 shots on goal a game 4231 can **** off as far i'm concerned. It's a bollox fantasy formation of just backwards and sideways passing bullshit. This coupled with the non-high press, two wannabe mf's, limited ambulance chasing fullbacks who being asked to provide the width are always out of position on counterattacks and a CB pairing that changes from day to day is just bending over and lubing up for the opposition. Nobody should be suprised by this 3 years later persisting with the 4231 with AVB and now Poch its clear its simply does not work our suit the players we have or had and will probably get if the Stambouli and Fazio signings are anything to go by. 2 or 3 shots on goal a game is not attacking football and is not Spurs football!!!

Felon82 likes this.
  18. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

£30m buys ONE decent player these days. a. We CANNOT attract that type of player to Spurs. b. When we do/can so does every other 'top 4/5' club in PL. who need players in that particular position. £10m each will only GET second-rate players. With football the cuthroat business it is: we (Spurs) have to accept that is ALL we are going to get - if a player's only 'Dream' is Champions League football - which we CANT provide and wont anytime soon !! So, Dream On if you think we are going to attract anything better !!!

19. big fran Guest

Interesting that we seem to be linked with a lot of wingers this past week miralles yarmolenko depay konopklaplaya bolasie Rodriguez so maybe a sign that MP has lost patience with the current crop. My only fear again is much of the above named are all inverted wide men whereas I feel Kane will thrive off whipped in outswingers.

20. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

At this stage it seems that Poch is only interested in outswingers from his FBs and he has lost all faith with our wingers and is only interested in inverted wide players. Have to admit tho I don't mind the look of Bolasie.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button