A look at managerial front-runners and one condition for success

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, May 6, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Another day and another name has become linked with the hot seat at Tottenham. We have heard of Louis Van Gaal, Mauricio Pochettino, Frank De Boer and now Roberto Martinez, according to The Daily Mirror being linked to the job. This has sparked a lot of debate, so who would be a good fit? Will any of them realistically come to Tottenham Hotspur bearing in mind it has become a job that seems to have no longevity to it?

First faller

First things first. I think we can safely rule out Van Gaal now because even if he does not go to Man United, I would rather we didn't end up with a manager who saw us as second best. In all honesty, I think he was only using us as a way of getting a job with United.

The candidates

Let's look at Frank de Boer first who says we have already been in contact and Spurs say they have not. Let's ignore that and look at what he could bring to Tottenham Hotspur. His first coaching role was in 2007 at Ajax and by 2010 he was already seen as having coaching potential and was named as assistant head coach of the Netherlands national team. In 2010-11, he went on to lead Ajax to the Eredivisie title and in 2 and a half years had won 3 titles. By 2013, he was named Netherlands manager of the year.

He had Ajax playing an attacking style of football and was keen on players keeping the ball. He was influential in the nurturing of Christian Eriksen, and is keen on a mixture of experience and young talent.

I think his style would suit Tottenham, and he would also encourage the continued development of youngsters, which can only be good for the future of the football club.

Whether he would leave Ajax is another matter but I think he would want assurances about running the club his own way and would want his own players. He certainly is an interesting proposition and I would be happy to see him at the Lane next season. He can certainly attract top players through his own reputation alone and add that to the Tottenham name, he could be an excellent choice.

Next up is someone who has been mentioned in regard to Spurs on a few occasions after his noticeable start in English football at Southampton, Mauricio Pochettino.

He has not yet won anything but only came to management at Espanyol in 2009. In his first half season, he moved them away from the relegation places and to a mid-table finish. In 2009-10, he again achieved a comfortable league position but by late 2012, they were bottom and he left by mutual consent.

In England, he has impressed many with his high pressing and attacking football and the development of home grown youth players. This would be something he would still have access to at Spurs and if he was able to bring a few of the Saints young crop with him, he could bring glory back to the Lane. He has acquitted himself well in the last couple of seasons and has desire to win things. He seems to be the popular choice on a lot of social media and it is easy to see why.

The one thing to bare in mind though would be that the pressure at Spurs will be a lot higher at Spurs than Southampton. I think most of us can admit that we are not the most patient bunch of fans in the world!

So that brings me to today's story that Levy may be interested in Roberto Martinez. I would have liked to see him at Spurs before now to be honest because the fact that he has got teams playing attacking football, has been a pleasure to watch since he took the reigns at Swansea. He got them playing fluid football and in October 2007 won his first manager of the month award. By May 2008 he had led the Swans to the league one title and was named manager of the year.

He is an outspoken manager, eloquent and rarely seems ruffled under pressure. In his time at Swansea, he openly criticised players for leaving the club for being 'mercenary' and moving for money rather than footballing reasons.

When Martinez moved on to Wigan, he quickly instilled his expansive style of football which was at times great to watch. At others though, Wigan were very exposed and none more so when our good selves beat them 9-1 at White Hart Lane. Wigan stayed up but finished the season with a goal difference of -42, the worst in the league.

In 2011-12, Wigan played some expansive, fast football but just couldn't seem to put a run of wins together and relegation seemed a certain fate. However, a stunning end to the campaign saw Wigan put together 7 wins in the final 9 games and avoid relegation by 7 points.

He was courted by Liverpool in 2012 but in the end remained at Wigan, guiding them to the FA cup, beating Man City, before eventually being relegated.

In his first season at Everton he has brought in Lukaku on loan and only just missed out on the Champions league places. Once more he has introduced an attacking and fluid style with some great individual players, not least Ross Barkley.

He would have more money at Spurs and he would be an excellent choice to take us forward as long as he is given time.

Who would I choose?

These are 3 very strong candidates and I would welcome any of them to the Lane next season. The key is that whoever it may be, MUST be granted time to run the football team in their own way and be given at least three years to take the club forward once more.

If I had to choose only one, I would just lean toward Martinez. The reason for me would be that he worked wonders on a budget at Wigan and Swansea, delivered silverware to Wigan and has done well in his first year at Everton. I just believe that he is the right man to have success at Spurs for a long time. Sadly, I do not think he will leave Everton just yet, as he likes to complete his plans.

If not Martinez, then I would have Pochettino ahead of De Boer because he has worked in England, he knows the EPL and has worked with DOF.

Time will tell, but let's hope that if a new manager is brought in, it is done quickly.

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!!!

2. Sam Guest

Maybe they should decide by a penalty shoot out with Daniel Levy in goal !!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. big fran Guest

My choice would be de Boer due to style of play good English and has a good knowledge of some young Dutch players and his obvious links with eriksen and JV. Pochettinos lack of English would worry me and
    Also the step up in exexpectations. Those that clamour for him to bring with him half his soton team remember where they are in the final table. Shaw yes but the rest no thanks. Martinez is just not gettable at present due to his loyal nature. One more name to enter the fray could be guardiola but would come with a significant salary if he gets the expected sack... And provided van gaal is already installed at man Utd. Players to come in caulker Shaw welbeck lukaku Remy and poss ashley Cole out rose daws friedel naughton Livermore ade holtby

4. alphi Guest

Not Pochettino, he has inherited his squad and style of play, I don't believe he could re replicate (potentially another AVB for me).
    1st choice- VDB, 2nd choice if not Martinez- Benitez.

5. Mattj78

Benitez is an interesting one. Do you think he would suit spurs though?

6. Eddie Guest

Agree I would like De Boer, however our chairman will be interested in a certain manager who's available so no compensation, a point to prove, previously used to working with club with Champions League ambitions and a manager we courted two years ago step forward David Moyes. I can just see it happening I saw it with AVB and in Moyes I think Levy will believe he's got the right man two late regardless of the Utd debacle. For a change I would like to get a manager who's come of the back of winning something rather than failing.

7. Eddie Guest

Benitez good call.

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

It has to be FDB, please Levy for once dont dawdle put the money up and get him in.
    Pochetino although southampton play some good football the job is too big for him and he will inevitably fail with the type of players we have and sign.
    Martinez wont come to spurs hes doing a good job at everton and hearing him interviewed he insisted that he must have a good relationship with the chairman- an idea that Levy would find extremely disturbing.
    FDB is a winner, was a top player club and international, has coached in european comps etc he has a philosophy that suits Spurs he is the only candidate for me.
    Get yer finger out Levy and do something right by the club for once!

9. Michael Guest

Hi

Anyone else think Landrup would be a good shout? Done really well in his first year at Swansea (even though a few people would say he took over Rodgers team) and I do think if they stuck with him they may of been in a better position then they are now. Think his style of football is what we are looking for, he has EPL experience and in my opion made some good unknown signings at Swansea etc Michu, Hernandez, Chico. A big plus is he is a free agent what Levy loves. Just suprised his name has not been mentioned more.

10. mohamed Guest

1st Mancini ,De Boer.Appoint manager asap before we lose Lloris,Vertonghen,Paulinio,Eriksen

11. Mattj78

Mancini is an interesting call, but could he deliver without the billions he had at City?
    Benitez certainly has pedigree, but am not sure his style would please all fans although at the end of the day, if he delivers silverware, he would be a hero!
    Laudrup also not a bad shout but I would be concerned about his ability to manage some awkward players, if the rumours about dressing room unrest at Swansea were true.
    Whoever it is, and please do not let it be Moyes, levy needs to pick him quick and get him straight on with the job.

12. y word army Guest

you started out like you knew what you were on about then, wow gaurdiola no chance he doesn't like a challenge! And players in wtf! Caulker is a half decent backup player. Shaw well anything is better than rose. Welbeck beyond useless lukaku could be good,remy is a mercenary and would jump ship asap for money. Ahsley ****ing cole what are you smoking!!

13. stevethespur Active Member

Not moyes please ! Martinez wont leave everton this season, we missed out there. Looks like a choice between pochetino and de boer, both look good young managers but wouldnt be surprised if levy pulled someone completely unmentioned here from his hat !

14. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Cant see Martinez leaving everton after the year that theyve had. FDB would be my choice, everything you want in a young manager and could make the difference from where we are now and where we should be. get him in.

15. The Cockerel

The Cockerel Member

Unlike most of you, I don't really know who I want to be our next manager. Most of the candidates mentioned look interesting and I think it's time for Levy and the rest of the Spurs board to earn their corn for once and give us a proper, knowledgeable and ambitious manager who looks at our club in its current state and can see title and cup winning possibilities given a bit of investment and time. The one thing I know is that I probably don't want someone like Moyes, one of the current crop of British managers with a small club mentality (sadly). I was initially excited with TS's appointment, but he has failed to make his mark on the pitch, where it counts! Someone said on another Spurs forum that, given the way TS talks, you would think he'd already won 6 Premier League titles, 3 Champions League trophies, 2 FA Cups and League Cups. Instead, he doesn't even have all his coaching badges and the team under him have proved that fact!
    I don't particularly care if we lose to Villa on Sunday and finish 7th. Let's just appoint our next manager inside the next fortnight and look forward to next season with some optimism. COYS!

16. Mattj78

I think you are right that the important thing right now is that we appoint a top manager and do it quickly. As I have said in my blog, time is imperative here and we must not leave it into June, July or worse still August to get our man. It needs to be done as soon as it can, and ideally that would be in the next two weeks as you say.

17. Roy Guest

I just thought I'd mention Gus Poyet (and then stand well back).

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button